Civil War
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photos of the Week Photos of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Event & Performance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2011   #1
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 2063
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Civil War

The weather was CRAPTASTIC! Truly nasty! Started raining hard when we got there, and blew sideways for a couple of hours. Then it stopped and started every few minutes. I spent the whole time ducking showers under tents, tucking my camera under my shirt and curling over it, and avoiding trees where the biggest drops of rain would fall every time the wind blew.

But just look how the rain kept the canon smoke low to the ground! Triumph!

Old 02-09-2011   #2
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 159563
Default Re: Civil War

Oh... crappy luck to have such nasty weather...but the canon smoke is a nice touch.
Understanding the situation I hope you don't mind if I make some observations here..
#1..seems a bit too dark for me.. I have a difficult time seeing the soldiers. It is a very well framed shot is my fav of the series.
#2...I am lost on what the focal point of this shot is and am unsure of where to look. I would love to just see those soldiers in the background closer without the two men in front. The smoke and lighting is great.
#3...I think this would look better straight...and crop out the fellow on the far right.

Hope you don't mind me sharing my views here. I wish I could be closer to a place like that for a shoot. Thanks for posting.
KateMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011   #3
Llama

CamelKarma: 287674

If your Canon is smoking, you've got bigger issues -- I guess you had to keep the rain from putting out the fire because your Canon isn't weather-sealed....

I really like #1, but it could stand to have a bit of fill light on the soldiers, or a levels tweak to bring out a bit of detail on them. The underexposure makes the photo nicely moody, but the sky between the trees is so much lighter than the soldiers that it steals prominence from them.

In #2, the red soldier grabs attention because of the color contrast, but the dim grey soldiers in the background are the only ones in focus. The dissonance between these two cues as to the image's focal point detracts from its effectiveness, in my opinion. If the red soldier were gone, the focus on the distant soldiers would have "worked" for me. If he were in sharp focus, then that would have worked for me. But the half-and-half thing just doesn't work, IMHO.

The tilt in #3 just doesn't do anything for me at all. It makes this appear to be a mistake, rather than a planned image.

Thanks for sharing these with us. I hope my feedback helps.

Cheers!
Misc.: Other stuff, as needed.

Web: Los Angeles area photographer Rick Dickinson: CrayonPhotos.com.
Twitter: Follow photographer Rick Dickinson.
Facebook: CrayonPhotos.com.
RocketRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011   #4
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 2193768
Editing OK?: Ask First

I really like the first one. Some dodging and burning would really make it "Pop".
alanbutler57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011   #5
Llama

CamelKarma: 412
Editing OK?: No

very cool!

bhphotographycdn is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Event & Performance »

Share this topic: