PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Digital Video

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013   #1
Alpaca

KKMFOTO strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorKKMFOTO strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorKKMFOTO strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorKKMFOTO strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorKKMFOTO strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorKKMFOTO strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorKKMFOTO strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorKKMFOTO strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorKKMFOTO strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorKKMFOTO strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorKKMFOTO strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 162724
Editing OK?: Ask first
Default What microphone for D600 ?

Need some advice. For the Nikon D600, what mic should i get ?
I hate the recordings off everything i do with the camera (focusing/zooming etc) from the internal microphone. I know an external mic is better, but i need something smal and portable. Or is an on camera mic just as bad as the internal mic ?

Røde VideoMic Pro
Røde Stereo VideoMic Pro
Nikon ME-1

?

Its for nature, motorsports and some around the house recordings. I am wondering if the Nikon ME-1 and VideoMic Pro will record more off me behind the camera because they are stereo mic´s that are not directional ?

Anyone with some advice, knowledge to a rookie like me ?
------------------------------------------------------
Nikon D700 / D600 / 200 f2.0 / 70-200 f2.8 / 24-70 2.8 / 16-35 f4 / 28 f1.8 / 50 f1.8D / 85 f1.4D / TC-17E II / TC-20E III.
Sigma 150 f2.8
SB-800 / SB 900

Old 01-09-2013   #2
Camel Breath

Steven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 995836
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: What microphone for D600 ?

I'd start here:

Shotgun| B&H Photo Video

Facebook

Camel Equine Group

My Equine Album

Fireworks Album

Old 01-09-2013   #3
Llama

WayneF has a brilliant futureWayneF has a brilliant futureWayneF has a brilliant futureWayneF has a brilliant futureWayneF has a brilliant futureWayneF has a brilliant futureWayneF has a brilliant futureWayneF has a brilliant futureWayneF has a brilliant futureWayneF has a brilliant futureWayneF has a brilliant future
CamelKarma: 19067

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKMFOTO View Post
Its for nature, motorsports and some around the house recordings. I am wondering if the Nikon ME-1 and VideoMic Pro will record more off me behind the camera because they are stereo mic´s that are not directional ?

If you want omnidirectional, I use this Lavalier mic on a D800:
Pearstone OLM-10 Omnidirectional Lavalier Microphone 9111930 B&H

It seems great to me, good quality and volume, and esp price.

The camera mic picks up too much lens focusing noises, but separate them a bit and it's OK.

Four Flash Fundamentals We Must Know
Old 01-10-2013   #4
Vicuna

Dave_EP is a splendid one to beholdDave_EP is a splendid one to beholdDave_EP is a splendid one to beholdDave_EP is a splendid one to beholdDave_EP is a splendid one to beholdDave_EP is a splendid one to beholdDave_EP is a splendid one to beholdDave_EP is a splendid one to beholdDave_EP is a splendid one to beholdDave_EP is a splendid one to beholdDave_EP is a splendid one to behold
CamelKarma: 4887

What ever you do, an 'on-camera' microphone is always going to pick up camera handling noise, and the microphone isn't going to know the difference between a zoom/focus and what you wanted to record.

Getting a microphone off camera is important for anything serious.

If it's just a hobby then the Rode Video Mic is a pretty good solution without being able to get rid all all camera noise completely.
Old 01-10-2013   #5
Alpaca

KKMFOTO strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorKKMFOTO strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorKKMFOTO strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorKKMFOTO strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorKKMFOTO strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorKKMFOTO strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorKKMFOTO strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorKKMFOTO strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorKKMFOTO strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorKKMFOTO strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorKKMFOTO strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 162724

Thanks for the feedback everyone !!

As this is a hobby, and i mostly need to be mobile when shooting, i will go for the Røde VideoMic Pro. I will also get an extension cable so i can get the mic on a separate tripod when possible.

Still a little uncertain if i should get the Røde VideoMic Pro or Røde Stereo VideoMic Pro, as the only dialog i will record is the kids from time to time. When doing motorsports and nature, maybe a stereo mic is better ?

Cheers all !
Old 01-19-2013   #6
Llama

haring has much to be proud ofharing has much to be proud ofharing has much to be proud ofharing has much to be proud ofharing has much to be proud ofharing has much to be proud ofharing has much to be proud ofharing has much to be proud ofharing has much to be proud ofharing has much to be proud ofharing has much to be proud of
CamelKarma: 10020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven G Webb View Post
I'd start here:

Shotgun| B&H Photo Video
I agree, I would go with the shotgun system.
Old 01-19-2013   #7
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

zemlin strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorzemlin strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorzemlin strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorzemlin strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorzemlin strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorzemlin strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorzemlin strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorzemlin strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorzemlin strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorzemlin strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorzemlin strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 5915793

For motorsports and nature, I'd get stereo for sure. As a sound guy for 10+ years, I've been very happy with the Rode mics I've owned. I now have a Rode NTG2 Shotgun mic that I've used for video, but not where stereo mattered.

The VideoMic Pro uses XY for stereo which is a very good stereo setup.

I record audio totally off camera direct to my laptop - I'm setup for that better than to record on camera. In general you do NOT want any sort of automatic level control so be sure to look into the level control options on the camera. I don't know what kind of feedback you get for audio level when shooting video - for something like motorsports you'll certainly want to be able to see if you are clipping with the sort of levels you'll hit there.

If you'll be panning when shooting motorsports, I'd think you'd want the mic off camera, otherwise the stereo sound image will follow the camera and you'll loose a lot of the effect it passing in front of you.
Old 01-19-2013   #8
Llama

haring has much to be proud ofharing has much to be proud ofharing has much to be proud ofharing has much to be proud ofharing has much to be proud ofharing has much to be proud ofharing has much to be proud ofharing has much to be proud ofharing has much to be proud ofharing has much to be proud ofharing has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by zemlin View Post
For motorsports and nature, I'd get stereo for sure. As a sound guy for 10+ years, I've been very happy with the Rode mics I've owned. I now have a Rode NTG2 Shotgun mic that I've used for video, but not where stereo mattered.

The VideoMic Pro uses XY for stereo which is a very good stereo setup.

I record audio totally off camera direct to my laptop - I'm setup for that better than to record on camera. In general you do NOT want any sort of automatic level control so be sure to look into the level control options on the camera. I don't know what kind of feedback you get for audio level when shooting video - for something like motorsports you'll certainly want to be able to see if you are clipping with the sort of levels you'll hit there.

If you'll be panning when shooting motorsports, I'd think you'd want the mic off camera, otherwise the stereo sound image will follow the camera and you'll loose a lot of the effect it passing in front of you.
WOW! How do you synchronize video and sound?
Old 01-19-2013   #9
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

zemlin strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorzemlin strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorzemlin strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorzemlin strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorzemlin strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorzemlin strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorzemlin strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorzemlin strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorzemlin strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorzemlin strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorzemlin strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 5915793

It's not like the old days when different tape devices need to be synch'd in order to match speeds. Digital clocks are pretty accurate and I haven't had any trouble with tracks creeping - granted I haven't done any long video sessions yet.

I record audio on camera so it's attached the the video track - when I drop in the audio it's pretty easy to match them up visually with the waveform. I usually CLAP before I start recording just to give me a nice spike for alignment - the clapboard theory, but without the fancy clackity thing.

Here's a thread I posted after shooting my first video with sound recorded off camera - two cameras.
Video: a few firsts on this clip
Old 01-19-2013   #10
Llama

Quote:
Originally Posted by zemlin View Post
It's not like the old days when different tape devices need to be synch'd in order to match speeds. Digital clocks are pretty accurate and I haven't had any trouble with tracks creeping - granted I haven't done any long video sessions yet.

I record audio on camera so it's attached the the video track - when I drop in the audio it's pretty easy to match them up visually with the waveform. I usually CLAP before I start recording just to give me a nice spike for alignment - the clapboard theory, but without the fancy clackity thing.

Here's a thread I posted after shooting my first video with sound recorded off camera - two cameras.
Video: a few firsts on this clip
Thanks so much!!!!!
Is there a step by step online tu7torial somewhere? Thanks!!!!

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Digital Video »

Share this topic: