PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > The Photographer > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2006   #1
Camel Breath

JDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 2115239
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Switch from wireless to ethernet in Windows XP?

Does anyone know how to switch from a wireless Internet connection to an ethernet connection in Windows XP?

I have a notebook that's normally used wirelessly to attach to the Internet. Now I've plugged it in to a faster ethernet connection, but the notebook still uses the wireless connection.

Thanks.

Old 04-08-2006   #2
Camel Breath

JDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
Default Re: Switch from wireless to ethernet in Windows XP?

I think I figured this out. It appears you need to assing an IP address to the built-in ethernet card, and once you do that, the Windows XP Zero Config Wireless function automatically uses the faster connection available.

To assing an IP address to the network card, I first checked the IP in use by the wireless card by opening a command prompt and typing cmd.

In the command prompt, I typed IPCONFIG and noted the values.

Then I opened the Network Connections utility in Control Panel, opened Properties for Local Area Connection, opened Properties for Internet Protocol, and clicked Use the following IP address.

My IP address for the wireless was 192.168.1.43. So I bumped up the last number for the ethernet. Other values I left the same.
JDArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006   #3
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

Mr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 3449259

My laptop can turn the wireless off to save battery juice. Can yours?

You could go into the Control Panel, look at the hardware, and disable the wireless one in this Profile (right-click the wireless adapter in the Network Connections, and choose Disable). Maybe the Wired one is already disabled in this profile?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006   #4
Camel Breath

No, the wired was enabled. My issue was I wanted XP to use the fastest connection available when 2 were available.
JDArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006   #5
F1 Camel

Shortie is a glorious beacon of lightShortie is a glorious beacon of lightShortie is a glorious beacon of lightShortie is a glorious beacon of lightShortie is a glorious beacon of lightShortie is a glorious beacon of lightShortie is a glorious beacon of lightShortie is a glorious beacon of lightShortie is a glorious beacon of lightShortie is a glorious beacon of light
CamelKarma: 1362

if you IPCONFIG

write a little scripts which does the following

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

and then which ever conection had the link light on will renew

Shortie

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, but a few electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Shortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006   #6
Llama

metalstorm is on a distinguished road
CamelKarma: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDArt
Does anyone know how to switch from a wireless Internet connection to an ethernet connection in Windows XP?

I have a notebook that's normally used wirelessly to attach to the Internet. Now I've plugged it in to a faster ethernet connection, but the notebook still uses the wireless connection.

Thanks.
I would just use the function key and turn off wireless when hardwired.

Canon 5D
metalstorm is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > The Photographer > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: