Is there a way to automate this?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2008   #1
Llama

CamelKarma: 594
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Is there a way to automate this?

I currently use Photoshop CS3 and Lightroom 2. I may get Breeze DSLR Remote Pro for shooting teathered and I use a Canon 40D. I've never been able to get Canon's capture working properly, thus the Breeze solution. And I shoot RAW.

What I would like to do is this, well, actually there are two different scenarios:

1) If I have a client in the studio for a portrait shoot, what I do now is when she leaves I go through the photos in LR, delete the rejects, rank the remaining ones, then run a batch job for some automated retouching actions in photoshop (not my final retouches but good enough for picking proofs). Then I save those jpgs to my site in a private gallery for them to view. when they pick their favorites or place their order, I do the good retouching job.

Now, what I'd like to be able to do is show them the photos right after the shoot, while they are still in my studio. Is there a way that I could teather the camera and have them import into either PS or LR, automatically apply my retouching actions and save the JPG, then have them imported into the LR catalog so that when I'm done with the shoot, the retouched JPGs are in LR and ready to be viewed?

2) The other scenario is if I'm on location and photographing a long line of people, like high school yearbook or church directory. I'd photograph the person and get several shots. Then when they're done, they'd go to my assistant who takes down their name and can add their name as a keyword to their photos in LR. And the person can pick which photo(s) he likes while sitting there and we mark it. The assistant would be doing this while I'm photographing the next person in line. So I shoot person 1, then shoot person 2 and while I'm shooting person 2, she'd be with person 1. When person 3 comes to me for the shots, person 2 would go to her, and so on.

My initial though would be that I'd autoimport to lightroom. When we switch people, she'd hit the Synch Folder button and the photos from the shoot I just did would show up and she'd work with those. When we switch people again, she hits synch folders and the new people come up again.

So, do either of these seem like they'd be able to be done? Thanks for any help.

Old 09-17-2008   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 8523012
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: No
Default Re: Is there a way to automate this?

First you need to be able to do thethered shooting. Remote Pro will alow you to do that.
Next you need to set a watch folder in Lightroom, see this link (written down for LR1, but also works for LR2).
Old 09-17-2008   #3
Llama

Yeah, I'm pretty set with the whole teathering thing. I tried the Breeze DSLR Pro and it worked fine. It's just the other stuff that I'm not sure about. Like if you can set LR to run a droplet and export as soon as it detects a photo or if that has to be done manually, and so forth.
waple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008   #4
Llama

CamelKarma: 319

The first thought that I had when I read your first scenario was something like this: If you run your automated retouching actions while the client is waiting/watching, could this be like a magician showing how they do a sleight-of-hand trick? Would it possibly give the client a somehow lesser respect for your retouching work? I don't know, I'm just thinking out loud. What does everyone else think?
highbarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008   #5
Llama

Yeah, I can see that point.

I was just in a meeting with a model and she was telling me how most 'high-end' photographers that shoot models will give them a CD at the end of the shoot with all the photos on it... untouched. She showed me one and sure enough, they were just the 300DPI 8x10ish JPGs and there were about 50 or so. Then she'd give the CD to her agent, they'd pick photos they liked and ask her to go to the photographer or a printer to retouch them. TBH, I'm not crazy about this since I'd rather only give her the retouched final products, but according to her, and she has a lot of experience in Atlanta (where I am) and LA, this is pretty typical.

Anyway, would it be okay to show a client completely untouched images and let them pick the poses they want to purchase, and then only work up those? Or would showing them the raw images make a bad first impression and make them feel like they had a bad experience. Especially when they've seen the edited portraits hanging on my walls. Or do I just let them know that these will require a lot of work and to just look beyond their complexion and wrinkles?
Old 09-21-2008   #6
Llama

So no other thoughts on how this can be done? I don't want to purchase Remote Pro (the trial expired well before I thought of this) unless I know I can do at least one of these scenarios.

Like I said, I'm actually fine with getting DSLR Remote Pro as I know it works well. It's the other part of the equasion that I'm more concerned with. Can my PC load in the image and export it and run the PS action without me having to manually ask it to. Or can my assistant show photos from person 1 while I'm shooting person 2, then when we're done, she syncs up LR and person 2's images are the only ones on the screen and she shows them while I'm shooting person 3.
Old 09-22-2008   #7
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 8523012
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: No

waple,
Please read this article for all the things you can do with tethered shooting
Old 09-23-2008   #8
Llama

Great, thanks Rense
Old 09-23-2008   #9
Llama

CamelKarma: 316487
Editing OK?: Ask first

Waple, I think your discussing the whole work-flow scenario, not just using LR2 so here is my 2 cents. If it applys, great, if not, no harm done.

I have shot quite a bit of your "scenario (2)" on location with long lines of people. I have a friend that only does this type of event photography too.

I have found that for me, shooting tethered really only works well if I'm in a studio and only a select few on-location situations. Otherwise, shooting tethered is not your friend.
I'm assuming you haven't done this yet, your just preparing for when the day comes? The reason I dont like it is:
1)There are too many things that can go wrong to slow you down, like the cord comes unplugged or something happens to the computer and you have to reboot, etc, etc. You'll create a mob scene real fast.
2) Shooting with the camera card is just much faster. We switch cards and hand it off to the assistant after an X amount clients go thru so they can upload to a main computer to share with the sales persons. I suppose the sales end could use LR to show the images to the client.

Here is my scenario shooting a very large dance competion at a high school on a weekend. It's an all day event and hundreds of kids of all ages from all over the state come thru.
I can tell you that if you have a long line of people waiting to have pictures done, you gotta shoot and scoot. One sales person will not be enough. My friend that does this has 2 to 3 sales stations set up to handle the flow. Some people take longer than others the pick out what they want.
In this situation, we have found it not necesary to rename the files as they come in. It just creates more work for the sale person. They just write down the file number and make both a paper copy and a spread sheet copy in their laptops as people order. The laptops have been connected via a hub, but my photo friend is going to go wireless next time.
In this situation, I shoot jpeg and Ive done it enough that I got the exposure settings down, no need to chimp a computer screen to see if lighting and such is good. (Photogenics mono lights, Pocket Wizard radio's).

I hope at least some of this is useful, it's what works for me anyway. I am interested in what you come up with for your work flow though.

Good luck.
gumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008   #10
Llama

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumper View Post
2) Shooting with the camera card is just much faster. We switch cards and hand it off to the assistant after an X amount clients go thru so they can upload to a main computer to share with the sales persons. I suppose the sales end could use LR to show the images to the client.
I'd want to trade off cards after every session so that my wife (the sales person) would be able to talk to the people I just shot, right there. I guess she could load the images off the card into LR and when it does, those will be the ones that show up. So I guess if the tethering idea doesn't work, this may be the next best solution. Thanks

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: