Considering an IMAC - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photos of the Week Photos of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2017   #11
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1091466
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Considering an IMAC

It's rumored that they will be announced this month and become available this summer.

I can honestly say that there are two most remarkable men in the world today. Michio Kaku is one and I am the other one. Between us we cover all knowledge.

Kaku knows all that can be known....And I know the rest.

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today?
Today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."

Master Oogway from Kung Fu Panda
gryphonslair99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017   #12
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 11780902
Editing OK?: Yes

Hi Dave, I have been using Apple computers for over thirty years and have watched them evolve from innovative, but useful, toys to very capable machines that were both flexible and able to handle demanding scientific and industrial tasks. Unfortunately, Apple currently seems to be headed in a direction that seriously reduces the users ability to tailor their computers to their changing needs. I am in the process of upgrading my MacPro (early 2009 version) to the latest 2013 MacPro which is probably my last upgrade and the last MacPro type of computer Apple is likely to make. The reason I opted for this upgrade is that the monitors that I use on my Mac Pro early 2009 are no longer able to be calibrated to my standards and the operating system of the 2009 unit cannot be upgraded to Apples OS X Sierra. Since I maintain a subscription to Adobe's Creative Cloud, I suspect that compatibility with the OS my old Mac Pro is stuck at will eventually end. Although there are ways to upgrade the old machine to the new OS such a move would be problematic.

To answer your last question, rumors suggest that a new iMac computer might be coming this summer that might be intended as a replacement for not only older iMacs, but for the MacPro line. I should point out that rumors are always out there and that Apple only lets people know what is coming when it suits them. They have not said anything meaningful about the Mac Pro line for two years, but large distributors like B&H are offering good deals on Mac Pros no doubt to clear their inventory before something happens which could mean a new Mac Pro; but the fact that there are still large inventories of Mac Pros even after two years. This might suggest that the new iMac rumors might be better than most.
Old 03-08-2017   #13
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 127808
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellycat View Post
Hi Dave, I have been using Apple computers for over thirty years and have watched them evolve from innovative, but useful, toys to very capable machines that were both flexible and able to handle demanding scientific and industrial tasks. Unfortunately, Apple currently seems to be headed in a direction that seriously reduces the users ability to tailor their computers to their changing needs. I am in the process of upgrading my MacPro (early 2009 version) to the latest 2013 MacPro which is probably my last upgrade and the last MacPro type of computer Apple is likely to make. The reason I opted for this upgrade is that the monitors that I use on my Mac Pro early 2009 are no longer able to be calibrated to my standards and the operating system of the 2009 unit cannot be upgraded to Apples OS X Sierra. Since I maintain a subscription to Adobe's Creative Cloud, I suspect that compatibility with the OS my old Mac Pro is stuck at will eventually end. Although there are ways to upgrade the old machine to the new OS such a move would be problematic.

To answer your last question, rumors suggest that a new iMac computer might be coming this summer that might be intended as a replacement for not only older iMacs, but for the MacPro line. I should point out that rumors are always out there and that Apple only lets people know what is coming when it suits them. They have not said anything meaningful about the Mac Pro line for two years, but large distributors like B&H are offering good deals on Mac Pros no doubt to clear their inventory before something happens which could mean a new Mac Pro; but the fact that there are still large inventories of Mac Pros even after two years. This might suggest that the new iMac rumors might be better than most.
Thanks for your input. Much appreciated. I had not considered upgrading the current machine. Not that literate, much less confident when it comes to computers so will avoid that task for now. You also bring up another very good point about monitor support. Been using the Apple 20" cinema monitor and really like it but technology is taking these into the stone age quickly. I'm not in a hurry so may wait until summer to see what Apple does. We need to visit the Apple Store anyway as the wife's IPAD and constant companion is acting up. Perhaps the folks there can make it right otherwise I see a new IPAD in the future as well. I bought hers when she retired and she doesn't go anywhere without it except to take a shower or going to sleep.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: