Considering an IMAC - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photos of the Week Photos of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2017   #11
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1091466
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Considering an IMAC

It's rumored that they will be announced this month and become available this summer.

I can honestly say that there are two most remarkable men in the world today. Michio Kaku is one and I am the other one. Between us we cover all knowledge.

Kaku knows all that can be known....And I know the rest.

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today?
Today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."

Master Oogway from Kung Fu Panda
gryphonslair99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017   #12
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 12032168

Hi Dave, I have been using Apple computers for over thirty years and have watched them evolve from innovative, but useful, toys to very capable machines that were both flexible and able to handle demanding scientific and industrial tasks. Unfortunately, Apple currently seems to be headed in a direction that seriously reduces the users ability to tailor their computers to their changing needs. I am in the process of upgrading my MacPro (early 2009 version) to the latest 2013 MacPro which is probably my last upgrade and the last MacPro type of computer Apple is likely to make. The reason I opted for this upgrade is that the monitors that I use on my Mac Pro early 2009 are no longer able to be calibrated to my standards and the operating system of the 2009 unit cannot be upgraded to Apples OS X Sierra. Since I maintain a subscription to Adobe's Creative Cloud, I suspect that compatibility with the OS my old Mac Pro is stuck at will eventually end. Although there are ways to upgrade the old machine to the new OS such a move would be problematic.

To answer your last question, rumors suggest that a new iMac computer might be coming this summer that might be intended as a replacement for not only older iMacs, but for the MacPro line. I should point out that rumors are always out there and that Apple only lets people know what is coming when it suits them. They have not said anything meaningful about the Mac Pro line for two years, but large distributors like B&H are offering good deals on Mac Pros no doubt to clear their inventory before something happens which could mean a new Mac Pro; but the fact that there are still large inventories of Mac Pros even after two years. This might suggest that the new iMac rumors might be better than most.
Old 03-08-2017   #13
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 127808
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellycat View Post
Hi Dave, I have been using Apple computers for over thirty years and have watched them evolve from innovative, but useful, toys to very capable machines that were both flexible and able to handle demanding scientific and industrial tasks. Unfortunately, Apple currently seems to be headed in a direction that seriously reduces the users ability to tailor their computers to their changing needs. I am in the process of upgrading my MacPro (early 2009 version) to the latest 2013 MacPro which is probably my last upgrade and the last MacPro type of computer Apple is likely to make. The reason I opted for this upgrade is that the monitors that I use on my Mac Pro early 2009 are no longer able to be calibrated to my standards and the operating system of the 2009 unit cannot be upgraded to Apples OS X Sierra. Since I maintain a subscription to Adobe's Creative Cloud, I suspect that compatibility with the OS my old Mac Pro is stuck at will eventually end. Although there are ways to upgrade the old machine to the new OS such a move would be problematic.

To answer your last question, rumors suggest that a new iMac computer might be coming this summer that might be intended as a replacement for not only older iMacs, but for the MacPro line. I should point out that rumors are always out there and that Apple only lets people know what is coming when it suits them. They have not said anything meaningful about the Mac Pro line for two years, but large distributors like B&H are offering good deals on Mac Pros no doubt to clear their inventory before something happens which could mean a new Mac Pro; but the fact that there are still large inventories of Mac Pros even after two years. This might suggest that the new iMac rumors might be better than most.
Thanks for your input. Much appreciated. I had not considered upgrading the current machine. Not that literate, much less confident when it comes to computers so will avoid that task for now. You also bring up another very good point about monitor support. Been using the Apple 20" cinema monitor and really like it but technology is taking these into the stone age quickly. I'm not in a hurry so may wait until summer to see what Apple does. We need to visit the Apple Store anyway as the wife's IPAD and constant companion is acting up. Perhaps the folks there can make it right otherwise I see a new IPAD in the future as well. I bought hers when she retired and she doesn't go anywhere without it except to take a shower or going to sleep.
Dave R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017   #14
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 2129359

Hey Dave what did you end up with? Curious because its time for me to upgrade my 2009 Imac. This puppy is still running but software upgrades are now the issue. Also can no longer sync my Iphone so thinking its time to make the jump.

Can you explain the fusion drive vs ssd drive. And it seems like they have the 5400rpm drive and not the 7200 which everyone says I should have.

Thanks

As a man thinks, so he is
My Flickr
BobC164 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017   #15
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 127808
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC164 View Post
Hey Dave what did you end up with? Curious because its time for me to upgrade my 2009 Imac. This puppy is still running but software upgrades are now the issue. Also can no longer sync my Iphone so thinking its time to make the jump.

Can you explain the fusion drive vs ssd drive. And it seems like they have the 5400rpm drive and not the 7200 which everyone says I should have.

Thanks
I'm still sitting on my hands waiting. Summer was derailed when the wife broke her ankle so other priorities have taken the lead. To understand better the drives I suggest going to the apple site and snoop around. It's not that crystal clear to me so would hate to suggest the wrong thing. I think I understand but not well enough.
Dave R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017   #16
Dromedary

Yea me too. Waiting for some $$$$$$

My Flickr
Old 1 Week Ago   #17
Llama

CamelKarma: 12115
Editing OK?: Ask First

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R. View Post
We currently have two macs. One is the desktop pro vintage 2008 I think and the other a macbook pro laptop vintage early 2013. Both work great but due to age the desktop OS it no longer supports some of the newer apps and can not be upgraded any further. Example I could not run Turbo Tax. We've decided since we have had such go luck with this product to get a new IMAC. Looking at Apples site there are some options that I don't fully understand and thats where I'm hoping someone here can set me straight, or at least help me form some informed questions to ask a sales person.
There are fusion drives or flash storage. What would you choose and why? I'm also unclear as to which processor makes the most sense, I5 or I7. Our uses are not taxing to any system. Some photography programs like PS and Light Room and some third party apps. Web surfing and the grandkids generally like to watch movies or play games. Email and the general stuff most of us generally use. I do know I would have a minimum of 16 gig of ram. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I'll likely go with the 21.5 as the 27 would be to big for our computer station. Also curious about the mouse, keyboard and track pad options. Thanks in advance. BTW I did a search but did not find the answers.
The MacPro 3,1 (aka early 200 can run El Capitan which I believe Turbo Tax will run for tax year 2017. Got the warning last year will still running 10.10 and upgraded to 10.11. The 2008 does not run 10.12 natively but there are hacks available for those willing to take the risks.

The MBP 2013 should be up-gradable to 10.12.

Sorry for coming to the party late. This just floated onto my radar (long absences) and thought I would chime in for the coming tax year.

Cheers,

TonyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #18
Dromedary

Pulled the trigger on the 27" IMAC 5K. Should arrive today

My Flickr
Old 1 Week Ago   #19
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1091466

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC164 View Post
Pulled the trigger on the 27" IMAC 5K. Should arrive today

I can honestly say that there are two most remarkable men in the world today. Michio Kaku is one and I am the other one. Between us we cover all knowledge.

Kaku knows all that can be known....And I know the rest.

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today?
Today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."

Master Oogway from Kung Fu Panda
gryphonslair99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #20
Dromedary

So was figuring I would setup via a time machine backup during the setup process. Never did this before so not sure on the process and what gets moved. Anyone have any input on that

My Flickr

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: