PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > The Photographer > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2012   #11
Photocamel Master

Dirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 810509
Editing OK?: Ask first
Default Re: What happened to me can struck any one

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethwfd View Post
Agree with above. I always burn a DVD of important files as well. was it on this forum I heard the story of a wedding photographer who lost the card containing all the shots he had taken of one event?
could well be i remember seeing a thread like that

i back things up monthly, but think it wll change to once every 2 weeks for the most important files ,

Dirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012   #12
F1 Camel

Eero Makela strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEero Makela strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEero Makela strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEero Makela strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEero Makela strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEero Makela strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEero Makela strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEero Makela strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEero Makela strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEero Makela strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEero Makela strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 6896586

Note DVD discs don't last for ever, I backup photos to external USB and have also done to DVD before that. You need to check the DVD to make sure it still reads ok.

My server runs backups every day, I however do not copy files for backup on to it.
Workstation backup should be a daily bases or at the least every time you add lotsa new files to it.

Time to do backups again, see everyone in a few hours.

I always leave my latest photoshoots on the memory cards until I need to use them for the next one. I also backup to USB sticks are they are solid state and should be more reliable then hard drives. This is however a temporary backup solution.

Eero Makela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012   #13
Alpaca

blackbird53 is on a distinguished road
CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Yes

lost files etc from crashes too, didn't apprec. at all
blackbird53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012   #14
Photocamel Master

Dirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 810509

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbird53 View Post
lost files etc from crashes too, didn't apprec. at all
Can imangine it ..
Cant strech it enough how important backups are ..

Murphy's law is very valid on this
Old 10-23-2012   #15
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

Rense strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRense strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRense strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRense strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRense strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRense strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRense strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRense strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRense strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRense strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRense strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 6793174

grr, you shouldn't have posted this Dirk. My gf pc's has a bad harddisk ...

[5D][50D][20D][G10][EFS 10-22][Sigma 12-24][Sigma 15][EF 17-40][Sigma 20][TSE 24][EF 24-105][Tamron 28-75][EF 28-300][Sigma 30][EF 50;f/1.4][EF 50;f/1.8][MP-E65][EF 70-200 f/4][Sigma 70-200 f/2.8][EF 70-300DO][EF 85 f/1.8][Samyang 85mm f/1.4][EF80-200][EF 100 Macro][Sigma 105][EF 135 f/2.0][EF 135 f/2.8SF][Tamron 180mm macro][EF 200 f/2.8][Bigma][Tamron TC1.4x][580EX][420EX (2x)][M24EX][STE-2][for a complete list, click here http://www.raphoto.nl/Gear/index.html][CPS Europe member]
Rense is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012   #16
Guanaco

kennethwfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorkennethwfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorkennethwfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorkennethwfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorkennethwfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorkennethwfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorkennethwfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorkennethwfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorkennethwfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorkennethwfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorkennethwfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 156200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eero Makela View Post
Note DVD discs don't last for ever, I backup photos to external USB and have also done to DVD before that. You need to check the DVD to make sure it still reads ok.

My server runs backups every day, I however do not copy files for backup on to it.
Workstation backup should be a daily bases or at the least every time you add lotsa new files to it.

Time to do backups again, see everyone in a few hours.

I always leave my latest photoshoots on the memory cards until I need to use them for the next one. I also backup to USB sticks are they are solid state and should be more reliable then hard drives. This is however a temporary backup solution.
Thanks, I always check that the DVD has indeed burned successfully, have had to rerecord discs when Canon's digital photo professional only opens the files (Canon RAW) so far then hangs and the disc clucks and clunks.

Have seen some 1TB USB sticks on that online auction site & think that the future is to use 2 sticks for the same backup data.

Likewise, I use 32GB memory cards on my two Canon bodies and don't erase photos until I have to
kennethwfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012   #17
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

Rense strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRense strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRense strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRense strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRense strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRense strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRense strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRense strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRense strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRense strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRense strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 6793174

recovered all the data using a live CD with parted magic.
now up for a compleet windoze install.

[5D][50D][20D][G10][EFS 10-22][Sigma 12-24][Sigma 15][EF 17-40][Sigma 20][TSE 24][EF 24-105][Tamron 28-75][EF 28-300][Sigma 30][EF 50;f/1.4][EF 50;f/1.8][MP-E65][EF 70-200 f/4][Sigma 70-200 f/2.8][EF 70-300DO][EF 85 f/1.8][Samyang 85mm f/1.4][EF80-200][EF 100 Macro][Sigma 105][EF 135 f/2.0][EF 135 f/2.8SF][Tamron 180mm macro][EF 200 f/2.8][Bigma][Tamron TC1.4x][580EX][420EX (2x)][M24EX][STE-2][for a complete list, click here http://www.raphoto.nl/Gear/index.html][CPS Europe member]
Rense is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012   #18
Alpaca

spcphoto is on a distinguished road

I do not worry about my box as I do not keep any files on it. I use a DROBO for ally my storage and then have a second network DROBO which I back up to. For my important images I keep in the cloud. If the drive goes on my Mac then it is inconvenient and I will just re-install clean.
spcphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012   #19
Alpaca

rainbow9 is on a distinguished road

There are free services like Dropbox
Old 11-28-2012   #20
Dromedary

TheFantasticG is just really very very niceTheFantasticG is just really very very niceTheFantasticG is just really very very niceTheFantasticG is just really very very niceTheFantasticG is just really very very niceTheFantasticG is just really very very niceTheFantasticG is just really very very niceTheFantasticG is just really very very niceTheFantasticG is just really very very niceTheFantasticG is just really very very niceTheFantasticG is just really very very nice
CamelKarma: 76294
Editing OK?: No

I just put in two 3TB in my tower. My motherboard has built in raid capabilities. I have a 3rd 3TB drive on the way. Once it gets here I'll be setting up an internal raid. I like the drobo idea but the fact it is propitiatory software/hardware so if it crashes all your shat is gone. Scott Kelby gives up Drobo after 4th unit crashes. As much as I'd love to get a Drobo I won't just yet.

And I don't like the idea of a free service like Dropbox. It's not free. Like Gmail isn't free because Google reads all the emails and incorporates that into advertising and marketing analytic programs. With Dropbox, I don't know what the price is for use..

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > The Photographer > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: