PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2010   #1
Camel Breath

JDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 2120221
Editing OK?: Yes
Default The fall of Google?

Google has done amazingly well at maintaining its competitive advantage--simplicity--while subtly taking on features that allow it to stay in business.

With the recent changes implemented in its search engine, though, I'm not sure that success is going to last. I've already been annoyed enough by two new "features" to start looking seriously for other "default" search engines.

1. Open the Google page and start typing. Previously, the screen didn't shift. Now, though, as soon as you start typing, Google shifts the search box to the top of the page, and displays ads to the right and distracting search results below.

2. Worse than #1 is that the actual search results you get are now often preceded by "sponosored links" above your search results, in addition to those on the right. This, of course, makes finding what you're actually looking for a bit more challenging.

Am I the only one annoyed?

Are there search engines that you prefer?

Old 08-21-2010   #2
Camel Breath

JDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 2120221
Default Re: The fall of Google?

Okay, I just figured out that by clicking the new "turn off streaming" link, you can eliminate annoyance #1 above.
JDArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010   #3
Photocamel Master

brian.austin has much to be proud ofbrian.austin has much to be proud ofbrian.austin has much to be proud ofbrian.austin has much to be proud ofbrian.austin has much to be proud ofbrian.austin has much to be proud ofbrian.austin has much to be proud ofbrian.austin has much to be proud ofbrian.austin has much to be proud ofbrian.austin has much to be proud ofbrian.austin has much to be proud of
CamelKarma: 10673
Editing OK?: Ask first

I'm still finding what I want faster via Google than anything else. The 'sponsored' links have always been there from what I remember...just more obvious about it.
Old 08-21-2010   #4
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

Ken-L has much to be proud ofKen-L has much to be proud ofKen-L has much to be proud ofKen-L has much to be proud ofKen-L has much to be proud ofKen-L has much to be proud ofKen-L has much to be proud ofKen-L has much to be proud ofKen-L has much to be proud ofKen-L has much to be proud ofKen-L has much to be proud of
CamelKarma: 11763
Editing OK?: No

Try using this URL for Google: Google

Nikon D700 Nikkors: 35/f2D, 16-35/f4VR, 28-300VR, 70-300VR.
Feisol CT-1471 Monopod Manfrotto 190CXPro4 Tripod w/496RC2 Ballhead
Gitzo 1325 Mountaineer Tripod w/ReallyRightStuff BH-55 Ballhead
My Website http://kensphotos.weebly.com
or
View My Photos at http://flickr.com/photos/ken-l/collections
Ken-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010   #5
Bactrian

Canonian is a splendid one to beholdCanonian is a splendid one to beholdCanonian is a splendid one to beholdCanonian is a splendid one to beholdCanonian is a splendid one to beholdCanonian is a splendid one to beholdCanonian is a splendid one to beholdCanonian is a splendid one to beholdCanonian is a splendid one to beholdCanonian is a splendid one to beholdCanonian is a splendid one to behold
CamelKarma: 4363

TBH, if you use any search engine they all have sponsors' links

Adobe Design Premium CS5, EOS50D, EOS 5D MkII, iPhone4, Canon G12
Canonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010   #6
Bactrian

LibertyHeir is just really very very niceLibertyHeir is just really very very niceLibertyHeir is just really very very niceLibertyHeir is just really very very niceLibertyHeir is just really very very niceLibertyHeir is just really very very niceLibertyHeir is just really very very niceLibertyHeir is just really very very niceLibertyHeir is just really very very niceLibertyHeir is just really very very niceLibertyHeir is just really very very nice
CamelKarma: 91968

IMHO Google is still the best! Especially when searching for technical information.

But then, I've been burned a couple of times, so I'm paranoid and keep my browser/system stripped to the bare essentials by not subscribing to RSS feeds or any sort of streaming. That and I never add any toolbars/accelerators as all that I've seen tend to run background processes that detract from over all system performance.

When all else fails, get a bigger hammer!
LibertyHeir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010   #7
Alpaca

miccy is on a distinguished road
CamelKarma: 10

Nah, i don't think it's the fall of Google, but it is really annoying i would say. I just hope it was an experiment by Google team.
miccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010   #8
Camel Breath

swampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 1350552
Editing OK?: Ask First

I always just search using the google bar at the top of my browser and never go to the google search page.
Old 08-22-2010   #9
Bactrian

wildmaven strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwildmaven strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwildmaven strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwildmaven strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwildmaven strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwildmaven strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwildmaven strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwildmaven strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwildmaven strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwildmaven strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwildmaven strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 2594099

I use Google Chrome and there are no ads.
Old 08-23-2010   #10
Alpaca

justanotherjoe will become famous soon enough
CamelKarma: 68

Oddly enough I use google all the time I dont see this change. When I go to google main page all it does is when I start typing just below tries to guess what I'm trying to type but no adds. When I have entered my search term there's sponsors to the right but nothing on top. You may have an addon or tool bar that injects ads? Or your services providers injecting ads?

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: