PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
PhotoCamel Directory Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > The Photographer > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2010   #1
Camel Breath

patterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 3516223
Editing OK?: Yes
Default CS5 and Nik Software

THis isn't for me, but a friend of mine got Silver Efex Pro and Color Efex Pro software and I'm (I mean they're) digging them.
THen came the compulsion to upgrade to CS5 but am worrying that like some other plug-ins they won't work with the newest upgrade of PS.
DOes anyone have both and CS5 and do they work?
I tried to figure it out by searching and I got a bunch of 64 bit explanations that , well, quite honestly, I'm too stupid to understand.
WIll Nik Color Efex and Silver efex work on CS5.
And what the heck would I have to do to find out if I'm running 64 bit.
Currently on Mac Snow Leopard and CS4.

"It's all meaningless unless you know what it means"- Unknown
patterfr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010   #2
Dromedary

HighMark Adventures has a brilliant futureHighMark Adventures has a brilliant futureHighMark Adventures has a brilliant futureHighMark Adventures has a brilliant futureHighMark Adventures has a brilliant futureHighMark Adventures has a brilliant futureHighMark Adventures has a brilliant futureHighMark Adventures has a brilliant futureHighMark Adventures has a brilliant futureHighMark Adventures has a brilliant futureHighMark Adventures has a brilliant future
CamelKarma: 15390
Editing OK?: Ask first
Default Re: CS5 and Nik Software

Well I am no Mac expert but I do use a macbook pro. I believe OS 10.6 is a "64" bit OS, but runs in 32 bit compatibility mode. Depending on the program it can run either 32 or 64 bit if it needs to. I`m sure a mac guru will jump in here and set things straight lol

Now I have cs5 on a win7 system and went to Nik to download silver efx pro but it did not work. According to nik they will have a free upgrade coming soon for to be able to run their software on cs5. Looks like vivenza is the only working in both 32 and 64 bit.

An excerpt from the article linked below
"
For Mac Users (10.5 Leopard and 10.6 Snow Leopard):
Photoshop CS5 will for the first time, run in 64-bit on Mac OS 10.5 (Leopard) and Mac OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard). Currently all Nik Software products are 32-bit compatible. For this reason, none of our products will work natively in Photoshop CS5 while in the default 64-bit mode. To work around this issue, until the 64-bit version of Nik Software products are released, Photoshop CS5 will need to be forced into 32-bit mode.
Typically the user will need to locate the Photoshop CS5 application file (Macintosh HD | Applications | Photoshop CS5. Once located, select it, press Command + I (apple key + I) to get the Information dialog window. In the information dialog window, midway down there should be a check box that will allow you to select "Run in 32-bit Mode", then close the information window. Once this is done, each time Photoshop CS5 is launched it will automatically be running in 32-bit mode and all Nik Software product will work as they did in previous versions of Photoshop.
Nik Software is currently evaluating 64-bit compatibility; however, at this time we do not have any information on when our products will become fully 64-bit compatible.

In case you missed it.
Nik Software, Inc. | Support
Old 05-18-2010   #3
Camel Breath

patterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpatterfr strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor

Thanks !!!
What would one lose running in 32 bit mode for cs5?
ANything?

Old 05-18-2010   #4
Dromedary

HighMark Adventures has a brilliant futureHighMark Adventures has a brilliant futureHighMark Adventures has a brilliant futureHighMark Adventures has a brilliant futureHighMark Adventures has a brilliant futureHighMark Adventures has a brilliant futureHighMark Adventures has a brilliant futureHighMark Adventures has a brilliant futureHighMark Adventures has a brilliant futureHighMark Adventures has a brilliant futureHighMark Adventures has a brilliant future

Here I plagiarized this from link below

"The primary advantage of 64-bit addressing is that it lets an application access much more memory than it would otherwise. In Photoshop’s case, this means that, on machines with enough physical RAM, it can work with extremely large images (multiple gigabytes) without having to swap chunks to disk. However, if your images are not that big, they will already fit into memory in 32-bit mode, so you won’t see any benefit from running in 64-bit mode"

LucisArt 2 Image Enhancement Software for Artists - Plug-in for Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Photoshop Elements
Old 05-18-2010   #5
Camel Breath

SO I should just shut up and do it huh?
COol Thanks!!!

Old 05-18-2010   #6
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
F1 Camel

chickpiper strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorchickpiper strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorchickpiper strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorchickpiper strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorchickpiper strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorchickpiper strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorchickpiper strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorchickpiper strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorchickpiper strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorchickpiper strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorchickpiper strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 4674011

Hey Fran - I don't have the Silver but I have Nik Vivesa and Color Efex 3.0. Vivesa will run 64 bit but the Efex will not. I will continue using CS5 32 bit until they release the 64 bit versions.
Old 05-18-2010   #7
F1 Camel

wolfden has a brilliant futurewolfden has a brilliant futurewolfden has a brilliant futurewolfden has a brilliant futurewolfden has a brilliant futurewolfden has a brilliant futurewolfden has a brilliant futurewolfden has a brilliant futurewolfden has a brilliant futurewolfden has a brilliant futurewolfden has a brilliant future
CamelKarma: 18338

I use 32 PS also, many many many plugins just won't work with 64 yet
Old 05-18-2010   #8
Dromedary

If you have more than 3 gigs of ram in your system, then yes yes you should.
Old 05-19-2010   #9
Photocamel Muse

Athena is just really very very niceAthena is just really very very niceAthena is just really very very niceAthena is just really very very niceAthena is just really very very niceAthena is just really very very niceAthena is just really very very niceAthena is just really very very niceAthena is just really very very niceAthena is just really very very niceAthena is just really very very nice
CamelKarma: 61445

I am considering the Silver Efex purchase and the PS5 upgrade. Now wondering in what order to do it...

Facebook Page like?

Google+ add?
Athena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010   #10
Dromedary

Well my 2 cents would be to go cs5 first as long as the plugins you have already will be compatible. Then just hold off a bit because nik is working on releasing 64 bit support here as quick as possible as a free upgrade,then get silver efx.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > The Photographer > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: