Commercial Headshots of a Law Firm - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photos of the Week Photos of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Commercial

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2016   #11
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 203928
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Commercial Headshots of a Law Firm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfd View Post
I am not a professional / commercial photographer but I think these shots are excellent.
BTW - Welcome to the Camel, Rome.
Thanks wolf.. I am new to Camel but not to photography...
giovani1059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016   #12
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6964240

Can't really complain about any of these, other than to say they might be cropped tight along the top...or might need to be portrait oriented. But color and detail and lighting look nice and the setup is an added bonus here.

Well done.

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016   #13
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pickles View Post
Can't really complain about any of these, other than to say they might be cropped tight along the top...or might need to be portrait oriented. But color and detail and lighting look nice and the setup is an added bonus here.

Well done.

This was intentional. They wanted headshots like those seen by Peter Hurley...
Old 06-20-2016   #14
Llama

CamelKarma: 36102

Very nice!

Lol, you know when I first saw these, I was thinking they were very nice, but they were like actor head shots, not attorney pics. Now that you said Peter Hurley, it all came together.

Nikon D800, D5500 IR 590nm, D50
nu2scene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016   #15
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 8521399
Editing OK?: Yes

What happened to the eye-lids with the photo's of the ladys? Did you use portrait professional or something like that?

[5D][70D][50D][20D][G10][EFS 10-22][Sigma 12-24][Sigma 15][EF 17-40][Sigma 20][TSE 24][EFS 24][EF 24-105][Tamron 28-75][EF 28-300][Sigma 30][Samyang 35][EF 50;f/1.4][EF 50;f/1.8][EF 40][MP-E65][EF 70-200 f/4][Sigma 70-200 f/2.8][EF 70-300DO][EF 85 f/1.8][Samyang 85][EF80-200][EF 100 Macro][Sigma 105][EF 135 f/2.0][EF 135 f/2.8SF][Tamron 180mm macro][EF 200 f/2.8][Bigma][Tamron TC1.4x][580EX][420EX (2x)][M24EX][STE-2][Tamron adaptall,M42,FD lenses]CPS Europe member]
Rense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016   #16
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu2scene View Post
Very nice!

Lol, you know when I first saw these, I was thinking they were very nice, but they were like actor head shots, not attorney pics. Now that you said Peter Hurley, it all came together.
I guess I accomplished the mission
Old 06-20-2016   #17
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rense View Post
What happened to the eye-lids with the photo's of the ladys? Did you use portrait professional or something like that?
Not sure what you see, PS only
Old 06-21-2016   #18
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6964240

Wonder if he means the "droopiness" of the one ladies eyelids (same lady, 2 different poses, 1 blue blouse covered and then uncovered) and the blonde haired lady has her left (our right) upper eye lid that is "flat" in one section...but that is probably normal. I did notice 2 blemishes on her nose more than the eye though.

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016   #19
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 19382
Editing OK?: No

I like your approach and concept for your "LAW FIRM" assignment. Your subjects look business-like yet approachable- that's important for their PR image! Your tight crop works well for me because it places the eyes in a very powerful compositional position and again, PR-wise, eye contact is very important.

Each of us has out preferred lighting methods. Yours seems to be a very theatrical and glamorous kinda style- nice- it gives your subjects a "star" quality.

I like you kicker usage- nice texture and dimensionality!

My only nitpick is there is the abundance of fill light via the reflector below the subject. This tends to bring out "double chins" and wrinkled necks etc. Then again, perhaps when folks are looking for a lawyer, they don't envision someone who looks like a teenaged model and a bit of realism and "character" ain't a bad thing. It a matter of psychology and your own concept of how you want to present your clients. Retouching of eyes and the orbital area of the face is a very debatable subject. It depends on the vanity of the client, the style of the photographer and the skill of the retoucher. The best retouchers know when to stop retouching! Over application of automated retouching plugins (especially around the eyes) can sometimes cause unwanted distortions elsewhere on the face. This, of course, is not the case in theses images.

Some years ago, I learned an important lesson in NECKTIES! My boss and I were doing a big corporate portrait assignment for a major client. We received an appreciative and complimentary letter from the wife of the CEO. She thanked us profusely for the great portrait studies we made of her husband who she claimed never sat for a decent or successful portrait. She loved the characterization and the flattery of the images. Her only criticism was succinct but lighthearted, and I paraphrase: "So there you were, three MEN in a state-of-the-art studio, My husband, a CEO of a major corporation and a PhD in business administration. You guys are well-known master photographers in the city and have a reputation of impeccable quality! So...between the three of you, could you not adjust the guy's necktie! Get a female assistant- I will volunteer"! OK- A. fortunately enough, a bit of retouching fixed the problem. That was over 12 years ago so we always make sure theses folks show up with well-fitted shirt collars and make sure there is a good winsor or European style knot and that the collar button is not showing through!

Nice work man! Post more often- we need more action and different approaches in the portrait section!

L
photodynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016   #20
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by photodynamics View Post
I like your approach and concept for your "LAW FIRM" assignment. Your subjects look business-like yet approachable- that's important for their PR image! Your tight crop works well for me because it places the eyes in a very powerful compositional position and again, PR-wise, eye contact is very important......
L
Thank you very much... For the chin issue I always have them forhead to the camera and chin down... some get it and some don't.. This is to eliminate this exact issue...

Yes neckties are a thing all must master... I had them readjust them several times..

I will try to post more...

Again thanks!

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Commercial »

Share this topic: