Handling Image Usage by 3rd party?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photos of the Week Photos of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Commercial

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2016   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Handling Image Usage by 3rd party?

I shoot for a client that sends me on location. Several product shots were seen by the manufacturer and they contacted my client, their dealer, for enlargements. My client pays me for my time and under our agreement, I provide them with images strictly for their use. However, it is my understanding is that I own the photos even if I give them copies to use in their sales efforts.

If someone approaches them for enlargements and wants to use the images on social media, how would I handle that? I have had instances where someone wants to use the images I've shot and my client has given the manufacturer a copy. However in this situation, I believe they should come to me for prints. How do you handle the social media use aspect of something like this?

I do a lot of marketing for this client, they are one of my best accounts. I really don't want to create issues, but....I don't want to be taken advantage of either. Have any of you had to deal with a similar situation? If so, what agreements did you put in place to keep everything professional?

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Commercial »

Share this topic:

Tags
agreement, copyright, policy, usage