Coin for an ad
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photos of the Week Photos of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Commercial

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2016   #1
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1107059
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Coin for an ad

I was asked if I could photograph this coin for an ad. I was grossly underwhelmed with the results until I looked at some existing ad shots of this same coin.

Facebook

Camel Equine Group

My Equine Album

Fireworks Album

Steven G Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6964240
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: Coin for an ad

Not sure what you didn't like, but there are different tones in the different areas the coin design contains. It seems pretty well lit to me and I'd say you did extremely well...

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016   #3
Camel Breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pickles View Post
Not sure what you didn't like, but there are different tones in the different areas the coin design contains. It seems pretty well lit to me and I'd say you did extremely well...
Thank you for the kind words. I'm not experienced enough with reflective objects to know if this is how it ought to look. The client approved it last night so I guess we're off to the races.

Facebook

Camel Equine Group

My Equine Album

Fireworks Album

Old 03-14-2016   #4
Camel Breath

I finished one phase of the project. I've now got the obverse and reverse images. Now we've got to get together and create the ad layout.

Facebook

Camel Equine Group

My Equine Album

Fireworks Album

Old 03-14-2016   #5
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 194894643

You did a fine job on these coins Steven.
Old 03-14-2016   #6
Camel Breath

Thanks Wolf. I sure hope so. The client approved the ad layout and then gave me 4 coins from previous issue dates to expand his offerings. How I have to photograph them as well. I'm doing this deal on a percentage of profit so I hope the photos look really, really good.

Facebook

Camel Equine Group

My Equine Album

Fireworks Album

Old 03-14-2016   #7
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 2943091

Steve, the coins look good!

From a business perspective, who determines how much profit there is, if any, in the sale of these coins? Something to consider if your compensation is based solely on sales that you can't verify and are out of your control.

"To them, the bike is just garage clutter. To us, it's a loaded Beretta, a half-million in cash, and a forged passport under the floorboards." - Dan Walsh

" Enjoy every sandwich!"

Every single camera and all of the lenses that I've ever owned.
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016   #8
Camel Breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
Steve, the coins look good!

From a business perspective, who determines how much profit there is, if any, in the sale of these coins? Something to consider if your compensation is based solely on sales that you can't verify and are out of your control.
I've seen both the retail prices and the wholesale costs for these. The gentlemen and I have built a trust relationship. At the moment I have a pretty healthy cache of his coins in my possession in addition to these Panda Coins so I am not without trust collateral. We would also both like a long-term continuing business relationship because he will never buy the equipment and learn to photograph coins (the investment I've made) and he will always have a new item he'll need photographed.

Now I realize this step (of faith) is unorthodox. I had no portfolio, not one single image to show and not one bit of education even to discuss the mechanics of setting up a shot. I'm getting a little something in a marketable skill and that all important real-world portfolio building. So if the wheels should fall off this cart, I'll maintain the skill set and the vocabulary necessary along with some strong samples to take into the next opportunity. I did not want to get totally exploited by doing a first job for free then "see how it works out". That might have left me totally lost. In the balance of negotiating I didn't have enough of anything in-hand to tip those scales to payment in advance plus licensing usage. In the long run I have hope that getting a commission on each sold item will pay better over a longer period than what I could justify as a beginner.

He likes me, likes my integrity and ethos. He is also giving me some benefit by inviting me to accompany him to coin club meetings and shows. If I can chisel out a marketable service, he can certainly make the introductions. I have to do some observation and evaluation, find the potential, develop the solutions then sell them. It's much more than I had sitting dead in the water when the horse show business all but dried up suddenly.

Facebook

Camel Equine Group

My Equine Album

Fireworks Album

Old 03-14-2016   #9
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 2943091

That's good that you've got some trust collateral. Just pointing out some of the pitfalls of working for future compensation.

"To them, the bike is just garage clutter. To us, it's a loaded Beretta, a half-million in cash, and a forged passport under the floorboards." - Dan Walsh

" Enjoy every sandwich!"

Every single camera and all of the lenses that I've ever owned.
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016   #10
Camel Breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
That's good that you've got some trust collateral. Just pointing out some of the pitfalls of working for future compensation.
Thankful for that. Ordinarily I would be against the idea of free now, pay later as it applies to "All my friends who are in this business will see the work and they will hire you". At least I feel here this gentleman and I are in a joint venture with mutual benefits. I know that he sank quite a bit into inventory acquisition and acquiring a supply line for the additional year issues. He was extremely open about his costs per and since I'm building the ad I know the retail selling price. I'm good with the percentage of commission. At this point he has a hard money investment and I have my time and luckily hardly any cash outlay. Yes, it's a gamble but since my primary income stream is dry my only wager has been the time I might have been sitting idle watching TV re-runs and what is that worth?

Facebook

Camel Equine Group

My Equine Album

Fireworks Album

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Commercial »

Share this topic: