PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Commercial

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2012   #1
Llama

Don Kondra strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDon Kondra strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDon Kondra strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDon Kondra strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDon Kondra strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDon Kondra strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDon Kondra strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDon Kondra strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDon Kondra strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDon Kondra strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDon Kondra strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 1994680
Editing OK?: No
Default Curly maple and macassar ebony wall hung cabinet

A recently completed commission to hold the clients amp, CD player and disks.

One speaker will sit on the top shelf and the other two on the side shelves.

It hangs on the wall via a french cleat.

Cheers, Don

Old 02-22-2012   #2
Camel Breath

Steven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 995836
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Curly maple and macassar ebony wall hung cabinet

Very nice image. Great control of the light on the reflective surfaces. If it's okay to comment on the model. I like the piece. It has that minimalist look from the 1960s with ever so slight a hint of art deco in the angularity. Your joinery looks very precise. The French cleat is a great attachment method, invisible and good for the load bearing. I love woodworking and cabinetry. There just isn't enough real wood in furniture anymore. Thanks for sharing.

Steve

Facebook

Camel Equine Group

My Equine Album

Fireworks Album

Steven G Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012   #3
Photocamel Master

Brooks strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBrooks strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBrooks strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBrooks strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBrooks strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBrooks strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBrooks strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBrooks strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBrooks strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBrooks strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBrooks strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 2606038

The piece itself is beautiful!

These types of pieces with overhead shelves and interior spaces are hard to light and shoot so I think you did a pretty good job.

I would have eliminated the reflection on the leading edges of the right side and used a tighter f/stop so the entire piece was in focus.

Every single camera and all of the lenses that I've ever owned.
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012   #4
Llama

Don Kondra strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDon Kondra strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDon Kondra strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDon Kondra strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDon Kondra strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDon Kondra strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDon Kondra strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDon Kondra strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDon Kondra strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDon Kondra strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDon Kondra strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 1994680
Editing OK?: No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songman45 View Post
Very nice image. Great control of the light on the reflective surfaces. If it's okay to comment on the model. I like the piece. It has that minimalist look from the 1960s with ever so slight a hint of art deco in the angularity. Your joinery looks very precise. The French cleat is a great attachment method, invisible and good for the load bearing. I love woodworking and cabinetry. There just isn't enough real wood in furniture anymore. Thanks for sharing.

Steve
Thank You Steve !

It is definitely okay to comment on the model, I'm always interested to hear how others perceive my pieces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
The piece itself is beautiful!

These types of pieces with overhead shelves and interior spaces are hard to light and shoot so I think you did a pretty good job.

I would have eliminated the reflection on the leading edges of the right side and used a tighter f/stop so the entire piece was in focus.
Thank you Brooks,

I had the piece sitting on a five gallon pail and this is one instance where a light stand fully collapsed was still too high, I ended up hand holding the front strobe/softbox

Having said that I found it was a toss up to fully light the interior or accept some highlights on the top right.

The surface of the parts are also sanded perfectly flat to 320 grit and has three coats of a oil/varnish finish. The highlights are similar to what you would see under natural light.

Now this is where I'll get into woulda, shoulda, coulda

With the cabinet on a pail the camera was maybe a foot and a half off the floor, down to kneeling and bending over range. Too low for my body to comfortably manual focus. Shoulda added another pail..

Another issue I've been noticing lately is the AF system is challenged to nail focus on light colored woods. If my back had not been so sore from moving this piece around I woulda made whatever changes were necessary to manual focus..

Still, I think it did an admirable job.

Now on the right side of the cabinet I coulda spent more time positioning the lights. Again, with such a reflective surface I believe most of the lack of clarity is from the finish/light positioning and not from using f9.

Thank you for taking the time to comment and I will keep your points in mind.

Cheers, Don

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Commercial »

Share this topic: