Jewlery made by my wife's friend
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photos of the Week Photos of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Commercial

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2012   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 306764
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Jewlery made by my wife's friend

Shot in her living room with only one speedlight.
uploadfromtaptalk1329041788779.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1329041811122.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1329041829490.jpg

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk

Old 02-13-2012   #2
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1107059
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Jewlery made by my wife's friend

It's difficult to get good results with reflective materials and using only a small light source like a speedlight compounds the challenge. You can achieve a reasonable overall exposure but it's tough to get smooth specular highlights. Another situation you have here is the product picking up the black in the reflections. You have darkness on the leading faces of the first two objects which diminishes the visual impact. I think you would get a better result by firing your flash through a diffusion material and placed above and slightly behind the product, then adding a long reflector in front and to the opposite side.

One other challenge that you have not met in the 1st image is the matter of scale. It's not clear whether the object is a ring or a bracelet. We can't readily tell what size that rock is thus neither can we tell what size the item is.

The third item is equally impossible to scale and there appears to be something inside and what that is is not clear.

Steve

Facebook

Camel Equine Group

My Equine Album

Fireworks Album

Steven G Webb is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Commercial »

Share this topic: