PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2010   #1
Camel Breath

swampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 1322965
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default 1D Mk IV -- More AF Problems for Canon?

Interesting article by Ron Galbraith...

Rob Galbraith DPI: An analysis of EOS-1D Mark IV autofocus performance
Quote:
but coming down the straightaway towards the finish, and beyond the finish (where the winners will typically pump their fists), the results were mixed to poor. Too often the EOS-1D Mark IV would frontfocus significantly or, alternately, appear to stop autofocusing altogether.
Quote:
Particularly puzzling was the camera's behaviour once the race was over: as skater after skater stood upright just past the finish, the camera would lose focus and sometimes not recover. If we had been photographing real races and not time trials it would be the point where the winners celebrate. This is not a good moment for the AF system to act up.
Quote:
At basketball, the EOS-1D Mark IV didn't rise above the level of fair-to-middling. It made in-focus frames in both available light and strobed shooting - including some frames we're happy with, such as the one at right - but it missed about as many frames as it got.
Quote:
The EOS-1D Mark IV's autofocus performance through 4.5 games of soccer was bizarre.

Old 02-14-2010   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

Max@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 599568
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: 1D Mk IV -- More AF Problems for Canon?

...interesting indeed, as The-Digital-Picture also has a review of the EOS-1D Mark IV on-line:

Quote:
The bottom line is that the Canon EOS 1D Mark IV is delivering a higher percentage of in-focus AI-Servo shots than any DSLR I've used to date. No, it is not perfect (I don't know if perfection can be achieved with a human behind the viewfinder), but, at 10fps, it delivers a VERY impressive number of sharp shots from a burst. For example, in the 21-shot sequence shown below in this review, only 2 or 3 shots are even slightly out of focus - and even these are very close. Very unusual is that nearly all 1D Mark IV AI-Servo AF misses I've seen have been front-focused - usual is for DSLRs to be trailing the action when they miss focus (As I'm writing this review, Canon has issued a firmware update that addresses the specific front-focusing issue I'm experiencing).
Quote:
My soccer action photography results were similar. Under dim indoor arena soccer lighting and under cloudy skies outdoors, the 1D IV delivered a very high percentage of sharp images.
Quote:
The Canon 1-Series bodies have always been top-of-the-line and the specs for this new model were excellent, so I wasn't concerned about too much going into this review. I did have two concerns though. The first was image sharpness - this concern was dispelled early in testing. The second concern was the new AF system. I have given this attribute scrutiny and at this point, as I mentioned, I am very pleased with the 1D IV's AF performance. This is the body I plan to use throughout the Spring sports seasons. And I'll probably use it for a significant amount of other purposes in the mean time. Nice camera, Canon.
...just FWIW: another opinion/voice

Kindest regards!

Max@Home

[
CANON] [EF24-70F4.0L IS] [EF70-200F2.8L IS II] [EF70-300L IS] [EF40F2.8 PanCake] [EF85F1.2L II] [EF100F2.8L Macro IS] [270ex II] [430ex II] [600ex-rt] [ST-E2] [EOS 5D MkIII w/ BG-E11][PowerShot G1 X MkII]
[MeFOTO][GlobeTrotter C2350Q2T] + [MANFROTTO][685B NEOTEC Monopod w/234RC Swivel Head]

...PBase images ?? ...or: SmugMug images ??
Old 02-14-2010   #3
Bactrian

dryadsdad strides over the forum like a knight in shining armordryadsdad strides over the forum like a knight in shining armordryadsdad strides over the forum like a knight in shining armordryadsdad strides over the forum like a knight in shining armordryadsdad strides over the forum like a knight in shining armordryadsdad strides over the forum like a knight in shining armordryadsdad strides over the forum like a knight in shining armordryadsdad strides over the forum like a knight in shining armordryadsdad strides over the forum like a knight in shining armordryadsdad strides over the forum like a knight in shining armordryadsdad strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 120364

I note the heavy sponsorship from Nikon at this fellow's Web site. I call foul.
Old 02-14-2010   #4
Photocamel Master

ohenry strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorohenry strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorohenry strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorohenry strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorohenry strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorohenry strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorohenry strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorohenry strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorohenry strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorohenry strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorohenry strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 1944338
Editing OK?: No

The squeaky wheel always gets the grease.
Old 02-14-2010   #5
Photocamel Master

Max@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryadsdad View Post
No, I don't think so: RG is a honorable man.

...and he does do 1:1 comparisons, something that BC (The-Digital-Picture) hasn't done...

...but just *my* 0.02 worth...

Kindest regards,

Max@Home

[
CANON] [EF24-70F4.0L IS] [EF70-200F2.8L IS II] [EF70-300L IS] [EF40F2.8 PanCake] [EF85F1.2L II] [EF100F2.8L Macro IS] [270ex II] [430ex II] [600ex-rt] [ST-E2] [EOS 5D MkIII w/ BG-E11][PowerShot G1 X MkII]
[MeFOTO][GlobeTrotter C2350Q2T] + [MANFROTTO][685B NEOTEC Monopod w/234RC Swivel Head]

Old 02-14-2010   #6
Camel Breath

swampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor

Quote:
I guess he was wrong about the 1D MK III too? I think he was the first to complain about it's AF too, and we all know how that turned out.
Old 02-14-2010   #7
Bactrian

dryadsdad strides over the forum like a knight in shining armordryadsdad strides over the forum like a knight in shining armordryadsdad strides over the forum like a knight in shining armordryadsdad strides over the forum like a knight in shining armordryadsdad strides over the forum like a knight in shining armordryadsdad strides over the forum like a knight in shining armordryadsdad strides over the forum like a knight in shining armordryadsdad strides over the forum like a knight in shining armordryadsdad strides over the forum like a knight in shining armordryadsdad strides over the forum like a knight in shining armordryadsdad strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 120364

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampler View Post
I guess he was wrong about the 1D MK III too? I think he was the first to complain about it's AF too, and we all know how that turned out.
1. He gained fame, apparently (I'm new here) by pointing out the flaws in the III. So now he's motivated to regain that fame by seeing flaws in the IV which aren't there.

2. @Max - I am not saying if this guy is intentionally skewing his results. I would have no way to know this. I am saying that any normal human will know which side contains the jam on his bread and he'll work accordingly.

3. Based on my looking backwards in history, many others confirmed the focus issues with the III. Here this fellow not only stands alone, but stands against all other sites and reviewers.

4. Based on several secondhand stories I've heard, Canon discontinued all links to this fellow due to the III uproar. This may have been wrong of Canon, but it'd bias this site against Canon. I will stand on that unless someone can demonstrate to me that this reviewer is a Vulcan.
Old 02-14-2010   #8
Camel Breath

Quote:
3. Based on my looking backwards in history, many others confirmed the focus issues with the III.
But not from the start, if I recall correctly. Regardless, time will tell if he's correct or not. I just found it interesting and wanted to give a heads up to anyone considering the camera.
Old 02-15-2010   #9
F1 Camel

RobAmy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRobAmy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRobAmy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRobAmy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRobAmy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRobAmy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRobAmy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRobAmy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRobAmy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRobAmy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRobAmy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 1219453
Editing OK?: No

My IV is great, at least for my type of shooting. No Complaints here. I have used the Mark III and I must say the IV AF is leaps and bounds ahead of the III.

Old 02-15-2010   #10
Photocamel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampler View Post
But not from the start, if I recall correctly.
...you recall incorrectly: the III had problems from the start (April 2007), culminating in many early firmware-updates and tech-tips on How-To use the Custom Functions, until the defective sub-mirror assembly was discovered and Firmware 1.1.3 was issued (early December 2007).

...I bought mine ( a so called 'Purple Dot' item indicating the sub-mirror was replaced after production but before it left the factory) early January 2008...

But it wasn't until April 2008 (one year after the III first appeared on the market) and the issue of firmware 1.2.3 that the AI Servo AF problem was declared 'solved' by Canon...

...and then, May 2009, the 'final version' 1.2.5 arrived, as again a problem was found (and corrected): now in the AF calibration units' software that calibrates the outer focus points in the Canon Service Centers...

... happily (for me) my style is SingleShot AF, and in this mode the III has been 'champ' from day one, even with the defective sub-mirror

Kindest regards,

Max@Home

[

Closed Thread

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon »

Share this topic: