1D Mk IV -- More AF Problems for Canon? - Page 4
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photos of the Week Photos of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2010   #31
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1443426
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: 1D Mk IV -- More AF Problems for Canon?

Okay call me a Canon fanboy and I am defending my purchase, with the results I have been getting I am fine with that Seriously the camera has worked very well so far in my style of shooting. I did own the Mark III and still own the 1ds Mark III and I enjoy using the AL Servo on the Mark IV the best out of the 3. I also owned the Mark IIn which I feel focused better then the Mark III (not that I feel the Mark IIn was better then the III overall) and mine was not one of the problem ones shall we say. The Mark IV has been a pleasure to work with since I took it out of the box. I never said that with the Mark III and I still used it and it produced well for me. I will fanboy it up again say it is the best camera I have used, so mush so I am considering selling the 1ds Mark III to get another Mark IV. Is the camera perfect, no but am I happy, ohh yahh. I have used it on many birds in flight, pets in motion etc and the keeper rate is very high and more so in areas where the Mark III I know would have missed it. A point I would to make is you have to learn the camera and use different settings for different situations, if you do not the keeper rate will go down. Me telling you my settings is not the answer, you need to figure it out yourself, we all have different styles. I should metion mine came with the 1.0.6 firmware already loaded. If you are considering buying one then I for one recommend it. I do not compare it to nikon due I do not use nikon so it does not matter to me. They are both great systems and they both produce. Happy shooting
Old 02-24-2010   #32
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 3136915
Editing OK?: Ask First

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTempus View Post
My fanboy assessment comes from your comments saying 1D4 owners are merely defending their purchases as if we're blindly loyal to Canon vs. trying to be objective.
LOL, forgot about that comment, though it was meant as sarcasm. No offense intended, though I see how it could be easily taken that way. Sorry.
Old 02-24-2010   #33
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 108

No problem, if you didn't intend for it to covey that sentiment, please forgive me for making assumptions.
Old 02-24-2010   #34
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 690429
Editing OK?: Yes

...and now a big Camel Hug

Kindest regards!

Max@Home

Canon PowerShot G1X MkII, Canon PowerShot G3X, some accessories (hoods, flashes, filters, tripod) and some knowledge to use them
Old 02-24-2010   #35
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 820906

NOOOOOOO!!

Old 02-24-2010   #36
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 3136915

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max@Home View Post
...and now a big Camel Hug
If it's OK with inTempus, I'll settle for a handshake.
Old 02-24-2010   #37
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampler View Post
If it's OK with inTempus, I'll settle for a handshake.
Oh c'mon, I was feeling a love connection.
Old 03-03-2010   #38
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 820906

Autofocus Torture Test Updated (Canon 1D MKIV & Nikon D3S added)
Old 03-03-2010   #39
Vicuna

As cool as that sounds, the test is worthless. Why? Because they say:

Quote:
These tests are all done using the default camera settings and default custom function settings.
The D3 by default has AF priority turned off, that means it gives priority to shutter speed by default and ignores focus lock before firing. This is the first thing D3 shooters change before heading out to the field with their cameras. Without doing this, the D3 simply fires as fast as it can regardless if it has AF lock or not. By default this is disabled and AF priority is set on the 1D4. That means the 1D4 will only fire if it has lock (or it thinks it does) and its shutter speed isn't considered.

That completely invalidates this test. If they wanted to have a real face-off, they need to make sure the cameras are configured identically.

However, if you're comparing the 1Ds Mark III and Mark III to the new Mark IV there's some usefulness to this test. The 1D4 easily bests its little brothers, which is quite refreshing to see, but then the 1D3 had a well known issue with focusing properly on a subject approaching the camera straight on.
Old 03-06-2010   #40
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

I am a sports shooter covering events with up to 20,000 particpants including large cheer and dance events, marathons, and so forth. I am also a publisher and editor and have written a number of critical reviews (as opposed to self-serving reviews) over the years. Anxious to upgrade to the Mark III (I own a Mark IIN) I read the comments that Galbraith espoused about the Mark III with welcomed enthusiasm especially after hearing some initial complaints on the internet and a few concerned remarks from some fellow shooters here in Arizona and San Diego. And at first I welcomed the review by Galbraith and ultimately made a decision to pass on the Mark III and wait for the Mark IV. And boy it has been a long wait. Anxious to pickup the new Mark IV, I have been reading the reviews with interest and I was not at all surprised to see his negative comments on the Mark IV. In fact, I was expecting them. And that is not a good sign. I know his review style and clearly some of the information he provided on the Mark III was right-on. However a good deal of it was already known. But what stood out more clearly from anything else in his Mark III review was not his contribution to the controversy but just how critical he was, and has been, of the Mark III and Canon products in general. Notice how he does not tear into Nikon with the same zesty enthusiasm. Normally, we do not see this level of passionate cynicism about a product or company in the camera industry. While this is in no way meant to impune his knowledge and experience in the photography profession it does serve as a reminder that one must always keep in mind that reviewer bias is prevalent among a great many professionals. Think Fox News. In revealing this bias it does cast some doubt about the integrity of his Canon reviews which might be more correctly viewed as an anti-Canon campaign. One should not then be surprised to learn that Rob is definitely in bed with Nikon which, incidentally produces some excellent cameras. But frankly, I am more interested in what the regular everyday shooter reports about their experiences with their Mark IV and keep the comments of Galbraith in my Heads-Up file. Incidentally, that is a nice shot of the owl RobAmy and I agree with the comments by inTempus, including the one where you said you are no sports photographer. Next time, make sure you knock that background out of focus a bit more.

Michael C

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon »

Share this topic: