PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2010   #11
Camel Breath

swampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 1322965
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: 1D Mk IV -- More AF Problems for Canon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max@Home View Post
...you recall incorrectly:
I know the III had the problems from the start, I meant that I thought Ron's site was the only one that discovered the problem to start with.
Old 02-15-2010   #12
Vicuna

Ashe is a jewel in the roughAshe is a jewel in the roughAshe is a jewel in the rough
CamelKarma: 265
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobAmy View Post
My IV is great, at least for my type of shooting. No Complaints here. I have used the Mark III and I must say the IV AF is leaps and bounds ahead of the III.

What autofocus mode did you use in that shot?
Old 02-16-2010   #13
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
F1 Camel

RobAmy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRobAmy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRobAmy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRobAmy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRobAmy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRobAmy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRobAmy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRobAmy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRobAmy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRobAmy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRobAmy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 1191898
Editing OK?: No

I used Al Servo with center point with surrounding assist points used.
Old 02-18-2010   #14
Camel Breath

aam1234 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoraam1234 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoraam1234 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoraam1234 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoraam1234 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoraam1234 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoraam1234 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoraam1234 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoraam1234 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoraam1234 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoraam1234 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 808764

My friend, who got his 1DIV fives days ago, is very impressed with the camera, especially focusing. He is not an expert, but he has been shooting sports for a few years now (non-professionally).
Old 02-18-2010   #15
Vicuna

inTempus has a spectacular aura aboutinTempus has a spectacular aura about
CamelKarma: 108

Rob G's article, while interesting, is hardly the end-all, be-all judgment of the 1D4's capabilities.

First, if you review his images more than half of them are with firmware 1.0.4. Partially through his "test" he updated the firmware to 1.0.6. He also appears to have not used the proper AF configuration settings for the type of shooting he was doing. He said he would do further testing with the firmware 1.0.6 in his article. Let's hope he reads the Canon white paper before heading out on his next outing.

Just because he helped discover the original problem with the 1D3 doesn't mean he's infallible. After the 1D3 flap and post fix we never heard a peep out of Rob G. He never retested the 1D3 after the sub-mirror fix. He was content leaving things as they were. Meanwhile other independent sites such as the German PhotoMagazin publication tested the 1D3 against the D3 and wrote that the 1D3 bested the D3 in AF performance - the camera Rob G was seriously promoting.

Rob G is a very intelligent guy, no doubt and he's quite familiar with a DSLR (mostly Nikon though). But his review is a complete 180 from the reports of actual working Sports Illustrated photogs like Peter Miller, Brad Mangin, and David Bergman. They are reporting, as you can see, that the 1D4 is absolutely amazing.

In reviewing Rob G's comments about the 1D4 it's hard to ignore the fact they are pretty tersely worded. He obviously is using very colorful metaphors and phrases when describing the issues he's seeing with the 1D4. He's not simply reporting the problems he's seen, he's condemning the camera with sharp wording...[B]

Quote:
Rob G talking about the 1D4:
"there's no way to trust it"
"the AF system verged on total collapse"
"The EOS-1D Mark IV's Jekyll and Hyde autofocus performance at soccer has been so wacky that it's difficult to make a comparison to the D3S"
"and the results were as described: completely terrible."
However, when the D3S shows similar failings, he's dismissive about the problems and paints the failures in an almost positive light. No comments about "Jekyll and Hyde" behavior, not comments about not being able to trust the D3S... just a few rosy "Oops! It misses in bright light and occasionally does something it shouldn't that we can't explain, but there's nothing to see here!" comments.

Quote:
RG talking about the D3S:
"it misses a few when it ought not to,..."
"...will at times front focus slightly in bright light."
"flubbing only a few frames in extended sequences"
"though there's also room for improvement"
"though it's not without its quirks and, as mentioned, there may well be something not quite right about how it tracks with a long lens in bright light"
I find his choice of words to be highly suspect and anything but unbiased. Couple this with the fact his website is splattered with Nikon ads and it's hard to give the review much credibility. That's not to say he purposely skewed his results, I don't believe that's the case. I just think he's not being as objective as he could be.
Old 02-18-2010   #16
Camel Breath

aam1234 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoraam1234 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoraam1234 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoraam1234 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoraam1234 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoraam1234 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoraam1234 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoraam1234 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoraam1234 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoraam1234 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoraam1234 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 808764

Good post, inTempus.

I'm considering a 1Ds IV when it comes out and hope its AF performance is as good as the 1D IV.
Old 02-19-2010   #17
Vicuna

Thank you.

I'm looking forward to the 1Ds4 annoucement too. Depending on what the 1Ds4's specs look like, I might sell my 5D2 and go with the 1Ds4. We'll see!
Old 02-19-2010   #18
Vicuna

Also worth mention is a recent blog post by Scott Bourne, a Nikon shooter and peer of Rob G's.

A Response to Rob Galbraith’s Canon Autofocus Article Photofocus

According to Scott, Rob is off his nut with his comments about the 1D4. Unlike Rob, who spent a weekend shooting sports with the 1D4, Scott has been using his 1D4's pretty extensively for the last month.

He claims the 1D4 is in fact reliable and is capable of producing a high percentage of in focus shots... that, and he's bought $25k worth of the 1D4 bodies for his studio to complement his cache of D3s's. I would say that's pretty telling about the performance of the 1D4.
Old 02-19-2010   #19
Vicuna

Ken Price is a splendid one to beholdKen Price is a splendid one to beholdKen Price is a splendid one to beholdKen Price is a splendid one to beholdKen Price is a splendid one to beholdKen Price is a splendid one to beholdKen Price is a splendid one to beholdKen Price is a splendid one to beholdKen Price is a splendid one to beholdKen Price is a splendid one to beholdKen Price is a splendid one to behold
CamelKarma: 3356

What business is Rob Galbraith in, anyway? He used to have a very good forum, but now he seems mostly involved in peddling sensational articles about flaws in Canon cameras.
Old 02-23-2010   #20
Vicuna

I'm by no means a sports photographer. I'm mostly a studio photographer. I prefer to work with pretty 20-something women in scanty clothing vs. sweaty men... but that's a personal preference.

All this talk of the 1D4's flawed AF system by Rob G has be shooting sports these days.

Tonight I went to a local indoor sports arena called "The Courts" and shot some basketball for chuckles. The lighting was horrible (ISO 3200-4000 was the norm), the action was fast and I'm a complete novice when it comes to shooting sports. With all of that said, I had about a 90% AF success rate tonight... I fired about 300 images and not even 30 of them were out of focus... so better than 90%. I understand this is quite good for a pro level body.

Here's a couple of pics from tonight... then I'm off to bed.

I read the Canon white paper on configuring the 1D4's AF system and for me it worked wonders. I couldn't be happier with the AF systems performance tonight.

Closed Thread

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon »

Share this topic: