7D--First Impressions
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2009   #1
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 407545
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default 7D--First Impressions

Took the 7D for a ride today. I have owned/own all the Canon EOS XXD series except for the 30D. It was an expensive process since this series evolved very slowly and the incremented improvements were minor. My major disappointments were with the poorly performing autofocus and the degradation of image quality as the number of pixels increased. I also have owned Canon 1Ds as well as 5D cameras. The former were a total disaster for me when it came to realiabily and autofocus quality; the later have been better all around althought also suffer from poor autofocus. This is the past.

The 7D is a different animal in many ways and surprisingly the autofocus delivers an 80% of keepers compared to about 20-30% for the previous cameras. I must clarify that I concentrate in flying birds. The single-point autofocus worked well but I got more in-focus images using the zone autofocus (using AI servo). The auto select autofocus was the least accurate.

When it comes to the image quality, the 7Dis better than the 50D/40D cameras (and reminds me of the 20D that delivered for me excellent colors and low noise) even when it boast 18 megapixels. The viewfinder is brighter and the overlayed focusing point and grids (two patterns to select) are very sharp. The LCD screen is the same as the one in the 50D and the 5DII although the LDC cover is now glass;it appears to have less glare and easier to clean than the plastic ones.

The on/off button is now at the left top of the camera. I do not understand why this change from the old location in the bottom back of the camera. There is an additional button where the old on/off switch was, now called the QUICK Control Switch. This function was previously shared with the Power Switch. I would have rather have the on/off switch located next to the the shutter button where it would have been easier to use with just one hand. While on the subject, I consider that the depth-of-field button where presently located is ackward. Have you ever tried to use this button with the camera hand-held with a telephoto lens? It should be located in the right front side just as in the EOS 1 Series cameras, where it can be easily pressed with one of the right hand fingers. And of course there is no dedicated MLU button either.

I noticed that the card slot cover now is spring loaded...an improvement that keeps it from flopping around when changing cards. There is remote sensor control in the front of the camera but this is no duplicated in the back, making the use of the remote controllers RC-1/5 I useless since you cannot trigger the camera from the back with them. This means that I will have to continue to carry a wired remote switch. I did not get a power grip since its addition will not increase the shooting speed about 8 frames/second. The overall size and weight is the same as the 50D but feels a bit heavier. I have not comments regards Life View or shooting movies because I do not use them...so far. Canon is finally regaining tehcnical grounds in the SLR digital field.

Old 10-26-2009   #2
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 3332465
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: 7D--First Impressions

Jose,

Thanks for the review / thoughts on your 7D. I've been reading a lot of complaints about the AF of the 7D, so it's good to hear some positives on it as well.
Old 10-26-2009   #3
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 819

That's strange Steve..I have heard nothing but positives about the focus. Few that I have read that were having issues was cause they didn't RTM.

http://www.fotomango.com
Equipment: Went from a D70s to a Canon 7D...returned that and now have a D300s!!!!

Nikon D300s, 50/1.8, Nikon 70-300 VR, Tamron 28-75/2.8, Nikkor 12-24mm, SB600, SB26
wildviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009   #4
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 690429

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildviper View Post
That's strange Steve..I have heard nothing but positives about the focus. Few that I have read that were having issues was cause they didn't RTM.
...you forgot the F

Max@Home

Canon PowerShot G1X MkII, Canon PowerShot G3X, some accessories (hoods, flashes, filters, tripod) and some knowledge to use them
Max@Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009   #5
Camel Breath

Quote:
You must never visit DPR. I wish I had the control to not visit there!
Old 10-26-2009   #6
Guanaco

what is DPR oops

Equipment: Went from a D70s to a Canon 7D...returned that and now have a D300s!!!!

Nikon D300s, 50/1.8, Nikon 70-300 VR, Tamron 28-75/2.8, Nikkor 12-24mm, SB600, SB26
Old 10-26-2009   #7
Camel Breath

Quote:
what is DPR oops
Sent you a pm.
Old 10-26-2009   #8
Guanaco

thanx. I got that. Hmmm..never knew there was a problem. Guess I was sheltered! :P

I don't go to DPR cause I hate the forum style. Who the hell likes that??

Anyway, back on topic.

Old 10-26-2009   #9
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 407545

Now I am left out...what is DPR and for that matter RTM? Forgive my ignorance.
Jose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009   #10
Camel Breath

DPR is DP Review and RTM is Read the Manual.

swampler is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon »

Share this topic: