PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2009   #1
AK
Llama

AK has a brilliant futureAK has a brilliant futureAK has a brilliant futureAK has a brilliant futureAK has a brilliant futureAK has a brilliant futureAK has a brilliant futureAK has a brilliant futureAK has a brilliant futureAK has a brilliant futureAK has a brilliant future
CamelKarma: 19532
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Exposure Bracketing Function in Canon 1000D

Dear Friends
Please let me know - is there EXPOSURE BRACKETING FUNCTION available in Canon 1000 D and Canon 450 D cameras ?? as i have to purchase , i will not purchase if there is no AEB functions in these models.

Thanks
alok

Old 07-27-2009   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

Max@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 599568
Default Re: Exposure Bracketing Function in Canon 1000D

Quote:
Originally Posted by alok View Post
Please let me know - is there EXPOSURE BRACKETING FUNCTION available in Canon 1000 D and Canon 450 D cameras ??
Yes, on both, 3 shots, 0 to +/- 2 EV maximum, accessible through the MENU, on the second tab.

Kindest regards!

Max@Home

[
CANON] [EF24-70F4.0L IS] [EF70-200F2.8L IS II] [EF70-300L IS] [EF40F2.8 PanCake] [EF85F1.2L II] [EF100F2.8L Macro IS] [270ex II] [430ex II] [600ex-rt] [ST-E2] [EOS 5D MkIII w/ BG-E11][PowerShot G1 X MkII]
[MeFOTO][GlobeTrotter C2350Q2T] + [MANFROTTO][685B NEOTEC Monopod w/234RC Swivel Head]

...PBase images ?? ...or: SmugMug images ??
Max@Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009   #3
AK
Llama

AK has a brilliant futureAK has a brilliant futureAK has a brilliant futureAK has a brilliant futureAK has a brilliant futureAK has a brilliant futureAK has a brilliant futureAK has a brilliant futureAK has a brilliant futureAK has a brilliant futureAK has a brilliant future

Hi Max
I have purchased a Canon 1000D with 18-55 lens, and yes there is exposure bracketing function available as mentioned by you, except spot metering there is every function in this canera, and this is very much cheaper than Nikon cameras, now i have to purchase some lenses, like 70 -300 zoom, a 10 -20 , what about all in one Canon 18-200 IS zoom, please advice is it better to have one all in one lense or different lenses for different type of works ??
Thanks
alok
AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009   #4
Photocamel Master

Max@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor

Quote:
I have purchased a Canon 1000D with 18-55 lens, and yes there is exposure bracketing function available as mentioned by you, except spot metering there is every function in this canera, and this is very much cheaper than Nikon cameras, now i have to purchase some lenses, like 70 -300 zoom, a 10 -20 , what about all in one Canon 18-200 IS zoom, please advice is it better to have one all in one lense or different lenses for different type of works ??
it is best to have both: an all-in-one lens fot those times that you cannot take more lenses or can't change lenses (for example due to dusty environment/bad weather): for this I have the 24-105L IS and the 28-300L IS, and (a set of) 'specialized lenses' for what you do/like most, for indoor reportages I have a '2.8L' set (16-35/24-70/70-200), for 'reach' I have the 100-400L, and for portraits I have the 50F1.4/85F1.2/135F2.0. But that was achieved in ~30 years of photography, and re-investing almost everything I ever earned with my photography back in equipment, it won't be an option for most

All the lenses you mention are 'consumer/prosumer grade', so a bit less stellar than the L series, meaning that the compromises that are always there will be a bit more visible (for example the 18-200IS has more distortion (barrel, pincushion) than the 28-300L ), and they are all a bit less 'fast' aperture-wise making them less suitable for indoor/low light work.

You are just starting, and have the 18-55 kitlens (I hope it is the IS version) so if you like that quality, you could add an EF-S 55-250 IS. Or you could sell the 18-55 and get an 18-200 IS. That would take care of your 'general walkaround/one/two lenses fit all' needs. Then get a 50mmF1.8 (very cheap, but very sharp), to experiment with small apertures (small DoF) and shooting in/with existing (low) light, and to see whether you like fixed focal length lenses (where you have to zoom with your feet). And get a decent flash (430ex, 430 exII) to multiply your indoor possibilities

Then, buy lenses only that suit your main interests: perhaps along the way you pick up an interest in Macro, perhaps you see/feel yourself a great landscape/nature photographer (something wide(r) like that 10-20 you mention), perhaps the fixed 50mmF1.8 'grabs' you and you want an 85F1.8 for portraiture...

And you don't have to buy everything at once: better to go one-by-one and slowly build your experience and expertise, that will make the next lens less of a guess, as you will then know better what you want from that lens, so you can make a far more informed decision.

...hope this helps some, *my* 0.02 worth...

Kindest regards, and oh, almost forgot: congrats and best-of-luck with your 1000D!

Max@Home

[
CANON] [EF24-70F4.0L IS] [EF70-200F2.8L IS II] [EF70-300L IS] [EF40F2.8 PanCake] [EF85F1.2L II] [EF100F2.8L Macro IS] [270ex II] [430ex II] [600ex-rt] [ST-E2] [EOS 5D MkIII w/ BG-E11][PowerShot G1 X MkII]
[MeFOTO][GlobeTrotter C2350Q2T] + [MANFROTTO][685B NEOTEC Monopod w/234RC Swivel Head]

Old 10-02-2009   #5
AK
Llama

Hi Max
Thank u very much for quick and detailed reply, u r right, it is not possible to purchase all lenses at a time , i have to buy one by one, i also think of buying a 18-200 is lens , this is a all in on lens, further what about 28- 300 lens , which u own, is it a very costly lens ?? I have also heard that canon have announced a new canon 18-135 IS and 15-85 IS lenses, is it true ??
Thanks again for congratulating me on my purchase of Canon 1000 d camera, have u handled a 1000D body ? What is CPS Europe member as mentioned in Camel page.
Regards
alok
AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009   #6
Photocamel Master

Quote:
Thank u very much for quick and detailed reply, u r right, it is not possible to purchase all lenses at a time , i have to buy one by one, i also think of buying a 18-200 is lens , this is a all in on lens, further what about 28- 300 lens , which u own, is it a very costly lens ??
yes, the costly-est in my inventory: ~/$ 2.500, but together with the 1D Mk III it makes a super weatherproof combination, I regularly (have to) shoot w/that combo in the Dutch drizzling rain...

Quote:
I have also heard that canon have announced a new canon 18-135 IS and 15-85 IS lenses, is it true ??
Yes, the EF-S 17-85 is superseded by the new EF-S 15-85, which gives a very nice wider view (equivalent of 24mm on a FullFrame body), and it is supposed to be better in regards of flare resistance and with less distortion.

The 18-135 is new, it is the '28-200' for the EF-S (1.6x) bodies, I haven't seen any tests (or the lens itself) yet...

Both are upgrades to your kitlens: the 15-85 is a bit longer and a bit wider at better image quality and a better build lens (less 'plasticy' than the 18-55IS), the 18-135 is at least a lot longer, but if *I* wanted an all-in-one, I would go for that 18-200IS, I shot it on a 50D and was pleasantly surprised and impressed with the IQ in that 'cheap' (compared to 28-300L IS) lens

Quote:
Thanks again for congratulating me on my purchase of Canon 1000 d camera, have u handled a 1000D body ?
I handled one and test-fired a few shots, yes, but not many. But enough to know it is a decent real Canon body, worth it's price

Quote:
What is CPS Europe member as mentioned in Camel page.
CPS Europe is the European version (there is also an American one) of CPS: Canon Professional Services: a club that you can join if you have seriously invested in Canon equipment (it has minimum requirements before you are allowed to join: at least 2 Pro-rated EOS bodies, at least 3 Pro-rated lenses). CPS Europe Members (membership is free of further charges in Europe, you 'only' have to qualify) receive 4 high-quality iinforming and inspiring magazines per year, and get VIP treatment when repairs are needed, or if they want to rent/borrow a lens from Canon, early announcements of Canon-sponsored events (sometimes with discount coupons) etc, etc...

See here for the European version.

Canon BTW has some excellent websites: for a new user like you the Canon Digital Learning Center is almost a must-read

...*my* 0.02 worth... & Thanks for the Thanks

Kindest regards!

Max@Home

[

Old 10-02-2009   #7
Guanaco

Mechoption has a spectacular aura aboutMechoption has a spectacular aura about
CamelKarma: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max@Home View Post
Yes, on both, 3 shots, 0 to +/- 2 EV maximum, accessible through the MENU, on the second tab.

Kindest regards!

Max@Home
I do believe the range is 6 EV but doesn't necessarily have to be -2,0,+2. I.e., you can shoot -6,-4,-2 if you so choose.
Old 10-02-2009   #8
Photocamel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechoption View Post
I do believe the range is 6 EV but doesn't necessarily have to be -2,0,+2. I.e., you can shoot -6,-4,-2 if you so choose.
I don't believe: I check With thanks to DPReview: Canon EOS 1000D / Rebel XS Review: 11. Menus: Digital Photography Review See shooting Menu 2.

With Canon AEB (AutoExposureBracketing) the '0' is where you set the camera to: if you have selected EC=-2, then indeed your maximum range is -4, -2, 0, as the '-2' now represents the '0' value. (The maximum EC is also +/- 2 EV, see here: Canon EOS 1000D / Rebel XS Review: 8. Operation & Controls: Digital Photography Review ).

Kindest regards,

Max@Home

[

Old 10-03-2009   #9
Guanaco

Mechoption has a spectacular aura aboutMechoption has a spectacular aura about
CamelKarma: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max@Home View Post
I don't believe: I check With thanks to DPReview: Canon EOS 1000D / Rebel XS Review: 11. Menus: Digital Photography Review See shooting Menu 2.

With Canon AEB (AutoExposureBracketing) the '0' is where you set the camera to: if you have selected EC=-2, then indeed your maximum range is -4, -2, 0, as the '-2' now represents the '0' value. (The maximum EC is also +/- 2 EV, see here: Canon EOS 1000D / Rebel XS Review: 8. Operation & Controls: Digital Photography Review ).

Kindest regards,

Max@Home
semantics
Old 10-03-2009   #10
AK
Llama

Hi Max
Thank u Max for replying to all my questions regarding Canon Cameras, Lenses, CPS etc, u r so much helpful and u reply in detail every time i ask u a questions, I respect people like u.

Thanks again
alok

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon »

Share this topic: