Raw & 50d ?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2008   #1
Llama

CamelKarma: 246
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Raw & 50d ?

I worked Raw with my 20d and elements 3 & 6. I can't load Raw from my card out of the 50d in elements 3 or 6. Why not? What am I missing?

Joe

Old 12-22-2008   #2
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 47
Default Re: Raw & 50d ?

The 50D has a new raw file format (15 MP raws, plus the two s-raw formats, plus the 14 bit channels, plus new features like HTP, ALO etc..) and your old software does not recognise it. You will need ACR 4.6 or 5.2 to be able to read 50D raw files. I don't know whether or not those releases are compatible with Elements 6 (I'm pretty sure 5.2 will not be). If not, you can download Adobe's DNG converter and you will have to convert the 50D files before you can process them. You may need to pull the files off the card manually with good old fashioned drag'n'drop rather than depending on the software to know what to do. Sorry I can't be more help, but I'm afraid I use Lightroom so PSE6 is not turf I'm familiar with.
Old 12-23-2008   #3
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 3287971
Editing OK?: Ask First

Download Adobe Camera Raw version 4.6 and install. This adds support for the 50D to Elements 6.0. You will not be able to add support for Elements 3. Also, the link I provided is for the Windows version. If you have a MAC, you'll have to navigate to it from the link yourself.
Old 12-23-2008   #4
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 690429

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampler View Post
You will not be able to add support for Elements 3...
...unless you take the DNG route...

(convert 50D RAW to DNG, load DNG in PSE3)

...€0.02...

Kindest regards!

Max@Home

Canon PowerShot G1X MkII, Canon PowerShot G3X, some accessories (hoods, flashes, filters, tripod) and some knowledge to use them
Max@Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008   #5
Llama

CamelKarma: 246

Thanks everyone. Have some Karma and a great Christmas. Max it says I need to spread some karma around before I can give you any more. I'll catch you a little later.

Joe
CI Photography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008   #6
Llama

CamelKarma: 341
Editing OK?: Ask First

And ofcourse you can always open the 50D raw in DPP, which came with your camera, and then save it out for editing in Elements

And DPP handles all the new features like HTP, ALO and such which Adobe Camera Raw wont.

Tools: Mamiya 645AFD w. Phase One P25, Canon EOS 5d mk II, Horseman LE 4x5, Mamiya RZ-67, Holga 120N, Polaroid 635CL, Brownie No.2, Pinhole cameras.
HuBBaTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon »

Share this topic: