PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2007   #1
Vicuna

Antonio is on a distinguished road
CamelKarma: 23
Thumbs up A great combo of lenses that wont break the bank

Hi fellow shooters,

I wrote an article about my decision process when it came to purchasing a combo of high quality lenses without spending a fortune. I use a 30D so this applies to any owner of Canon EOS 1.6x crop bodies. I hope you'll find this useful.

Long story short, here is my combo:You can click here to read the full article.

I hope this will help other people who are in a similar situation.

Cheers,
Antonio

Antonio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007   #2
Camel Breath

jfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to behold
CamelKarma: 4939
Editing OK?: No
Default Re: A great combo of lenses that wont break the bank

I didn't read the article, but in general, I'll agree that your choices are a sensible balance between price, versatility, and image quality. But for one exception: the 50 f/1.8 II. I tested both the original, metal mount, the Mark II, and the EF 50 f/1.4. The focusing mechanism on both the f/1.8's suffered from sloppy play, and resulted in inconsistency in my AF tests. They also did not have USM, with full time MF which may not be important to the beginner, has become a must have for any lens purchases now - especially for fast primes. All that said, if you cannot afford to have a fast prime beyond that $80 range, then really, focusing issues aside, you must get the f/1.8. A fast prime opens up too many possibilities to go with out.
Old 09-26-2007   #3
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrancho View Post
...the f/1.8's suffered from sloppy play, and resulted in inconsistency in my AF tests. They also did not have USM, with full time MF which may not be important to the beginner, has become a must have for any lens purchases now - especially for fast primes. All that said, if you cannot afford to have a fast prime beyond that $80 range, then really, focusing issues aside, you must get the f/1.8. A fast prime opens up too many possibilities to go with out.
Agreed. In my article I also mention the AF issue.
Old 09-26-2007   #4
Camel Breath

jfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to behold

just peeked at the article - very nice - and I like that you have real world samples from PBase linked to each lens recommended.
Old 09-26-2007   #5
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrancho View Post
just peeked at the article - very nice - and I like that you have real world samples from PBase linked to each lens recommended.
Thanks mate, I appreciate that.
Old 09-26-2007   #6
F1 Camel

Sidebyte strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSidebyte strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSidebyte strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSidebyte strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSidebyte strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSidebyte strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSidebyte strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSidebyte strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSidebyte strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSidebyte strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSidebyte strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 1196923

Good choices, the only one I would add is the Canon 300 F4.0, one of the best of the lot for small dollars.
Old 09-26-2007   #7
Camel Breath

The EF 300mm f/4L IS is an amazing bargain, all things considered, but at $1150, unfortunately does not fit the criteria outlined in the article:

Quote:
* Excellent image quality
* Fixed maximum aperture (at least f/4) across the zoom range
* Well built
* Stellar reviews
* Less than $600
Old 09-26-2007   #8
F1 Camel

Sidebyte strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSidebyte strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSidebyte strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSidebyte strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSidebyte strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSidebyte strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSidebyte strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSidebyte strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSidebyte strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSidebyte strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSidebyte strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 1196923

I wasn't referring to the IS model, the 300L before the IS can be Ebayed for less than $600.
Old 09-27-2007   #9
Camel Breath

Ahhhh. Buying used is always a good way to save some money. I've bought several lenses form ebay.
Old 09-27-2007   #10
Camel Breath

aam1234 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoraam1234 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoraam1234 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoraam1234 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoraam1234 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoraam1234 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoraam1234 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoraam1234 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoraam1234 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoraam1234 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoraam1234 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 808764

I would add the 17-40. Though it is slightly above the $600 criteria (at around $680).

aam1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon »

Share this topic: