Longer focal length dilemma
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2018   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Longer focal length dilemma

I have a full frame Canon and a 120-400 f 4.5-5.6 zoom and would like to extend my reach but an extender will reduce my light.

So, am I better off buying a longer zoom for the full frame or a body with a 1.5 / 1.6 sensor for my present zoom? Please offer your suggestions. Thanks.

Old 06-06-2018   #2
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1942889
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: Longer focal length dilemma

Getting an APS-C sized camera will have the double benefit of making your lens seem longer, and it will do so without light loss. Tradeoffs include perhaps a bit more noise with the smaller sensor.

Another option might be a 300mm f/2.8 lens... with a 2X teleconverter it will still be f/5.6.
.................................Weston
w7apd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018   #3
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 9906720
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnon View Post
I have a full frame Canon and a 120-400 f 4.5-5.6 zoom and would like to extend my reach but an extender will reduce my light.

So, am I better off buying a longer zoom for the full frame or a body with a 1.5 / 1.6 sensor for my present zoom? Please offer your suggestions. Thanks.
Looking at a 80D could be an option. Supposed to handle noise well for a crop sensor.
Canon T3i
Misc. Canon Lenses
Sigma 150-600mm C
Sigma 100-400mm C
Samyang 8mm Fisheye
greenjeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018   #4
Llama

CamelKarma: 1216582
Editing OK?: Yes

Please give us more info. What full frame camera do you currently own? Why do you need the longer reach? What do you intend to photograph with the longer reach?

Thanks.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/142328965@N07/

http://rv.billdiana.com/
DigiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon »

Share this topic: