1.4x for 70-300 ??
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photos of the Week Photos of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2018   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 19891
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Question 1.4x for 70-300 ??

I have a 500D and a 70-300 L tele zoom.
I know a canon 1.4x extender won't work with these, but would a sigma 1.4x ?
Has anyone actually put them all together and produced a picture ?

Old 05-01-2018   #2
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 1457659
Default Re: 1.4x for 70-300 ??

I doubt it. The problem you ran into - a 1-stop reduction in the effective f-stop - is common to all 1.4x behind-the-lens teleconverters and even more so with 2x versions, where the reduction is 2 stops.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018   #3
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 19891

The problem was not the 1 stop reduction, but a physical limitation, where the rear element of the lens actually fouled against the front element of the extender. I had been warned of this with the Canon extender, but wondered if the Sigma might be constructed slightly differently.
brocheste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018   #4
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 1457659

If you are talking about a cheap 70-300 mm zoom, results are likely to be so inferior with any teleconverter that you would be better off from an image quality standpoint if you cropped your image to simulate the longer focal length instead. This is even aside from autofocus or mechanical interference questions or, if an adapter is involved, infinity focus questions. Teleconverters are intended to be used with long focal length high-quality prime, i.e., non-zoom, lenses, though some high-quality zoom lenses also work well with teleconverters.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018   #5
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 690429
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocheste View Post
The problem was not the 1 stop reduction, but a physical limitation, where the rear element of the lens actually fouled against the front element of the extender. I had been warned of this with the Canon extender, but wondered if the Sigma might be constructed slightly differently.
Thye physical limitation prevents you to zoom in the 70-300 but if you are only interested in the outer limit (the 300 x 1.4 part), that works with the Canon 1.4x, and is quite sharp too.

Max@Home

Canon PowerShot G1X MkII, Canon PowerShot G3X, some accessories (hoods, flashes, filters, tripod) and some knowledge to use them
Max@Home is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon »

Share this topic: