Canon 5D4 Vs...
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2018   #1
Llama

CamelKarma: 105
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Canon 5D4 Vs...

I jusr read a review on the Canon 5D4. It gets 87% over the 5D3's 84%.
In the graph they say image files are better but in the text, it does say that colour is better in the 5D3 than the newer model.
Has anyone used these two cameras and can say what the real world benefits are of the 5D4?

Canon 5D, Canon 5DSr, Canon 16-35 mm f/4 L USM EF, Canon 24-105 f/4.0 L USM IS EF, Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD, Canon 70-200 f2.8 L MK II USM IS EF, Canon 100mm f2.8 USM EF macro, Canon 2x Mk III converter, Canon 580 EX II flash, Yonghuo 568EX II flash, Sigma EM-140 DG EO-ETTL Macro Flash, Manfrotto MT055CXPRO3 tripod with MHXPRO-BHQ2 ballhead. Manfrotto 790B Monopod.
boristhemoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018   #2
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 6717728
Editing OK?: No
Default Re: Canon 5D4 Vs...

I would be interested in seeing the review - could you let me know the reference. I have used both cameras and the major difference that I can see is in cropping an image. The 5DIV wins because of the higher pixel count in the sensor. This also follows that you might also notice a difference if you make serious enlargements.

Also, the "technology" in the 5DIV is newer, but I am not sure what the real difference is in the final results. Most users, including me, do not see the results of the "newer" technology, even though they are there.

If I was choosing, I would go for the 5DIV as I always go for the newer technology where I have a choice, but that is just me and my biases. One thing I do use, a bit is the Interval Timer as I am experimenting with multiple exposure photography, as time permits.

The 5DIV also has the newer touch screen functionality, so if that is important, then the 5DIV is the choice. You just have to remember to use it - that's all.

I know that there are other improvements in the 5DIV over the 5DIII, but how they fit into my photography is transparent to the me, the user. I compare it to buying a new "fridge" that makes ice cubes faster than the old model. Unless you use a lot of ice, you don't really appreciate this ability of your new fridge, or even see it in action.

WesternGuy

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/westernguy/
WesternGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018   #3
Llama

CamelKarma: 105

Yeah you can read it here.
I agree, I don't think that at the level I take photos there will be any improvement at all. I suspect that's the case for a very large majority.
More revenue building for Canon I suspect so they can fund their mirrorless options?

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/can...-5d-mark-iv/15
Canon 5D, Canon 5DSr, Canon 16-35 mm f/4 L USM EF, Canon 24-105 f/4.0 L USM IS EF, Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD, Canon 70-200 f2.8 L MK II USM IS EF, Canon 100mm f2.8 USM EF macro, Canon 2x Mk III converter, Canon 580 EX II flash, Yonghuo 568EX II flash, Sigma EM-140 DG EO-ETTL Macro Flash, Manfrotto MT055CXPRO3 tripod with MHXPRO-BHQ2 ballhead. Manfrotto 790B Monopod.
boristhemoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018   #4
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 6717728
Editing OK?: No

Thanks for the reference.

WesternGuy

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/westernguy/
WesternGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018   #5
Llama

CamelKarma: 197661

In the real world like you asked, there are more differences than just in the image file. I will never again buy a camera that doesn't have wi-fi. I enjoy controlling the camera from my phone too much. I have also gotten used to having the option of shooting from the lcd and to the 5Div smokes the iii in that respect. I don't like to bend over further than I have to, and I don't always want to shoot from standing height. I also agree that the extra resolution is worth it, though I understand it is not always necessary.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon »

Share this topic: