PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum

PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum (https://photocamel.com/forum/)
-   Canon (https://photocamel.com/forum/canon/)
-   -   Technical advice for my 6D body or lens (https://photocamel.com/forum/canon/233918-technical-advice-my-6d-body-lens.html)

Aspilcueta 02-23-2018 03:26 AM

Technical advice for my 6D body or lens

1 Attachment(s)
Hey all,

Unfortunately I am not the most technically minded tog out there. I think I have dust in my body or lens, but based on the outcome of the images, I am not sure which is suffering with a dust overload.

Any advice would be gratefully received. Please take a look at an example image.

Thanks in advance :)

greenjeans 02-23-2018 07:37 AM

Re: Technical advice for my 6D body or lens

Looks like dust on the sensor to me. You may be able to clean it with a rocket blower or it may need a wet cleaning. Make sure auto sensor cleaning is turned on and it should clean each time you turn the camera on or off. This is located under the 4th wrench in menu. There are 3 options here.

Aspilcueta 02-23-2018 08:25 AM

Hey greenjeans. Thanks. I did try to clean the sensor with a blower last week, and it also self cleans every time I turn it off. I haven't however tried a wet clean. A little nervous to do that myself !!

Frogstar 02-23-2018 09:54 AM

That looks very extreme for sensor dust. The exif says the flash didn't fire but did it? It looks like flash off air dust particles to me. Do you get it all the time? What about in the open when there's no windows to reflect like in a car? There's a good article here which should help

Aspilcueta 02-23-2018 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frogstar (Post 2384155)
That looks very extreme for sensor dust. The exif says the flash didn't fire but did it? It looks like flash off air dust particles to me. Do you get it all the time? What about in the open when there's no windows to reflect like in a car? There's a good article here which should help

I never use my flash to be honest, as the ISO goes high enough. It has happened outside the car/s numerous times, although it's not necessarily as obvious.

I will take a look at the article, thanks :)

Aspilcueta 02-23-2018 10:01 AM

I have also cleaned my lens, its a Sigma 24-105 Art lens. Both ends have been cleaned with meth spirit, and wiped properly. Unless its got right inside the inside of the lens if that is even possible?

scoundrel1728 02-23-2018 12:13 PM

I was going to suggest a lens/filter clean. These spots are generally bigger than those found on the imager. They are also more prominent than one would expect from spots of this size. Because this image was taken from the exterior of the car, the dust specks on the front of the lens would be more brightly lighted than the image as a whole from the ambient light, especially if you shot without a lens hood and with direct sunlight on the front lens element. Try shooting an image like this again with the same f-stop after you have cleaned the lens. You should see fewer spots if any, and they will be the same size. Also try shooting the same image with and without the front lens element shaded. If you can still find any such spots, they should be a lot fewer in number and they should be noticeaby brighter in the image taken with the front element in direct sun.

Golem 02-23-2018 05:08 PM

`

This does not look to me like sensor dust.

I may be wrong acoarst, and would know
I'm wrong if I saw 2 or more frames with
the dust in exactly the same place. Just
a single frame is uninformative.

This is also a very poor dust check image.
Shoot a "blank wall" type of subject, at a
very slow speed, waving the camera a bit
to assure no minor subject detail can be
rendered. Use a wide angle lens at f/22.
Shoot several frames. Exposure settings
should render the "wall" as mid tone.

Inspect the result for small artifacts that
always appear in exactly the same place
in every frame.

scoundrel1728 02-24-2018 10:24 AM

Another thing to consider is that sensor dust would cast shadows, which are dark, whereas these spots are lighter than the background. Another thing that strongly leads me to believe that these spots originate from dust on the lens or front filter. My guess is that the lens clean has already taken care of the problem or at least reduced it considerably.

Golem 02-24-2018 12:35 PM

`

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoundrel1728 (Post 2384265)
........... strongly leads me to believe that
these spots originate from dust on the lens
or front filter. ........

When I suspect a lens/filter effect [dust, scratch,
etc], I'll rotate the lens in the mount to see if the
effects move with the rotation. There are ways to
maintain the working aperture despite decoupling
the electronics.