Dumb 7D question
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photos of the Week Photos of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2018   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 104709
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Dumb 7D question

So I recently got a 7D mark 1 used. I put each one of my autofocus lens on it and when I do a soft squeeze on my shutter my camera wont focus. any ideas why and how to fix it? Please I need to know so I am doing a photo shoot in 2 weeks

Justsomeguy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018   #2
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 1457659
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: Dumb 7D question

To get a proper autofocus, the focusing area needs something to focus on. If that area is too low in contrast and lacking in detail, the lens won't focus. It is also possible that the lens' autofocus was shut off or the lens is manual focus only. There are also different autofocus modes that you can choose and the camera is set to one that won't necessarily work under your test conditions.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018   #3
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoundrel1728 View Post
To get a proper autofocus, the focusing area needs something to focus on. If that area is too low in contrast and lacking in detail, the lens won't focus. It is also possible that the lens' autofocus was shut off or the lens is manual focus only. There are also different autofocus modes that you can choose and the camera is set to one that won't necessarily work under your test conditions.

i am in autofocus and weird thing is when I turn my focus ring in auto focus it does focus. the other weird thing is the lens both auto focus on my 70D and 60D do no problem
Old 01-16-2018   #4
Llama

CamelKarma: 1012912
Editing OK?: Yes

I am sure you have already checked this and I'm not a Canon guy but on the Nikons there is actually an auto/manual switch on BOTH the lens and the camera body. If either is off it will respond in that manner.
Promapper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018   #5
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 1543000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justsomeguy86 View Post
So I recently got a 7D mark 1 used. I put each one of my autofocus lens on it and when I do a soft squeeze on my shutter my camera wont focus. any ideas why and how to fix it? Please I need to know so I am doing a photo shoot in 2 weeks

Since this was used it is quite possible that the previous owner changed one of the buttons on the back to AF mode removing it from the shutter button. Usual one is the * but check all by simply point and pressing one of those buttons. btw a huge number of pros and others do this Back button focus is great.
oh yeah, and read the MANUAL!
Didereaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018   #6
Vicuna

Thanks guys I figured it out this morning and boy do I feel dumb. Each person who commented on this is getting karma thanks again
Old 01-16-2018   #7
Dromedary

Quote:
Thanks guys I figured it out this morning and boy do I feel dumb. Each person who commented on this is getting karma thanks again
It's mandatory you tell what you discovered....else Greenjeans or Frogstar bring out the wet noodles and start lashing about!
Didereaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018   #8
Vicuna

I did a factory reset on and reset all the shortcuts keys
Old 01-16-2018   #9
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 1457659

Quote:
i am in autofocus and weird thing is when I turn my focus ring in auto focus it does focus. the other weird thing is the lens both auto focus on my 70D and 60D do no problem
Not unusual for newer lenses, many of which have full-time manual focus and can be manually focused even when set to autofocus. Some people use this feature to manually fine-tune the focus after the camera body has had its turn at focusing.

Glad you were able to resolve your problem. You might also want to keep a list of your own custom settings in case you need to do a factory reset again.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018   #10
Dromedary

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoundrel1728 View Post
Not unusual for newer lenses, many of which have full-time manual focus and can be manually focused even when set to autofocus. Some people use this feature to manually fine-tune the focus after the camera body has had its turn at focusing.

Glad you were able to resolve your problem. You might also want to keep a list of your own custom settings in case you need to do a factory reset again.
First off his problem was that he no longer had the AF function by half pressing the shutter button. Secondly the lens worked normally on his other two camera bodies. That was the obvious indicator as to the cause.
This guy is using canon, not Nikon. AF function is internal to camera on the Canons. His solution proved what I had said was probable, namely that the camera had one of its buttons reassigned from the shutter button to another (i.e. back button focus) I will take credit on this one!

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon »

Share this topic: