Canon 7D Mark ii or 5d Mark iii - Aviation Photos
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photos of the Week Photos of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2015   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 299376
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Canon 7D Mark ii or 5d Mark iii - Aviation Photos

Okay, I know it's been hashed to death, but please help me make my decision.

I've been shooting with a 60D for the last few years, mostly with my Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II lens.

I primarily shoot aviation shots. I stand on the side of the runway at our flying events and take photos as planes come tearing by for a low pass. I also occasionally do some air-to-air work.

I have often found myself wishing I could back away from the runway. I like the sharpness of my lens though and want to use it.

Question 1 - should I get the 7d Mii and maybe get a 24-105 lens for those times I can't back up?

Question 2 - would I get good shots with a 5d Miii and maybe adding a 1.4 extender for air-to-air?

Also, I just bought a 6D, used it for two days and returned it to B&H... the focus system didn't work well with what I was doing.

Here is a recent air-to-air pic I took. With a 5d and my 70-200, would I get a similar shot if I cropped it?

Here are a couple of shots where I wish I could have backed away from the runway.

Old 06-22-2015   #2
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 575268
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Canon 7D Mark ii or 5d Mark iii - Aviation Photos

You complained that the 6D's AF was unsuitable
for your needs. Your success with the older 5D
argues otherwise. Care to explain ?

`
Golem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015   #3
Vicuna

You mean with my 60D? I don't know. I couldn't get the 6D to focus when planes were going by in bright light or especially as the sun was getting low. It's the only time I've ever had my 70-200 lens zoom all the way out and back in searching for an obvious plane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golem View Post
You complained that the 6D's AF was unsuitable
for your needs. Your success with the older 5D
argues otherwise. Care to explain ?

`
Flynlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015   #4
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 236397

Is there a suggested implication that you need to update your 60d?
If not, why not just buy -or rent- a 24-70 2.8L ll. You could switch lenses as needed or rent a second body and get the wider perspective on either crop or FF. The 24-70L ll is said to be quite sharp w/good contrast.
Old 06-22-2015   #5
Vicuna

No real need I guess, just want a new one! I will keep the 60D for now as a backup.

B&H has now approved my return and given me credit. Now I have to decide which one is next!

I see a lot of reviews that say for landscape or portraits, go 5D. For sports, go 7D. I know what I do may be considered sports, but to get the background and prop blurred, I'm not taking a lot of photos. One snap and follow the plane. Likewise when doing air-to-air, it's almost a still shot as they're matching my speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony View Post
Is there a suggested implication that you need to update your 60d?
If not, why not just buy -or rent- a 24-70 2.8L ll. You could switch lenses as needed or rent a second body and get the wider perspective on either crop or FF. The 24-70L ll is said to be quite sharp w/good contrast.
Old 06-22-2015   #6
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 236397

There really is no right or wrong choice here. Ultimate image quality would come from the 5d lll and its autofocus would certainly handle the task. You haven't mentioned any high ISO complaints or image quality issues from your 60d, so for that reason I would recommend the 7d ll. Even the 7d(original) or 70d would fit your needs. Depending on which body of these 3 listed, you could still purchase the 24-70L ll w/it , and still have a workable camera and great lens at the same price the 5d lll body alone would cost and would be much wider than your present combo - 38mm apparent perspective -to handle those closer chores.
Old 06-22-2015   #7
Vicuna

Well, I waited too long to ask advice, thinking it would take a few more days for B&H to get my credit to me. Long story short, my new 5D Mark iii is on the way!

Pony - I didn't mention ISO, but it does affect me at some fly-ins as the light gets low.

Old 06-24-2015   #8
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 783595

Grats on the incoming 5D3. My thought is that the 7d2 might have been a little bit better, but not by much, for your needs. It shoots faster, and I know the original 7D has pretty good ai-servo.

The 5D3 will be fine, too, especially in lower light and closer up on the runway.
stef@apl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015   #9
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 3224829
Editing OK?: Ask First

I have both and both are great cameras. You really can't go wrong with either.
Old 06-24-2015   #10
Vicuna

Thanks! I can't tell you how hard buyer's remorse hit me when I hit the button to pay for it! Most of my photos will be close to a runway. The air-to-air shots are not as common and I still have my 60D if I end up needing it. I may send it in to be cleaned and have it ready to go. I really had no complaints with it, but the colors on the 6D I had for a few days seemed a lot better.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon »

Share this topic: