PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2013   #1
Vicuna

--MRB-- strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor--MRB-- strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor--MRB-- strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor--MRB-- strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor--MRB-- strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor--MRB-- strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor--MRB-- strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor--MRB-- strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor--MRB-- strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor--MRB-- strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor--MRB-- strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 235594
Default Canon 50D + EF-S 10-22 as hiking buddy, what do you think?

I was thinking about buying a Canon 50D and EF-S 10-22 mm lens as my hiking buddy Does anyone have any experience with these ones? Especially the lens is a big question mark for me as my 50mm 1.4 "gold ring" just broke down from the focusing cylinder. Luckily it was easily fixable with DIY instructions from the web, but it left me a bit of a bad taste in my mouth anyway... So what do you think, would it be better to buy a Sigma or Tamron instead?

I would be looking for a rough body and a lens with about 15-20 mm at the wide end for landscapes and about 30-50 mm at the other end for all around purposes. Fastness of the lens isn't that important because most of the shots are landscapes with tripod. The body should also have moderate/good ISO handling for night shots (northern lights). So which ones to buy (as used) with about 1000 eur budget, that is the question

--MRB-- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013   #2
Vicuna

--MRB-- strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor--MRB-- strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor--MRB-- strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor--MRB-- strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor--MRB-- strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor--MRB-- strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor--MRB-- strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor--MRB-- strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor--MRB-- strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor--MRB-- strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor--MRB-- strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 235594
Default Re: Canon 50 mm + EF-S 10-22 as hiking buddy, what do you think?

Wrong headline... Meant to write "Canon 50 D + EF-S 10-22 as hiking buddy, what do you think?"
Old 03-02-2013   #3
Photocamel Master

scoundrel1728 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorscoundrel1728 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorscoundrel1728 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorscoundrel1728 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorscoundrel1728 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorscoundrel1728 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorscoundrel1728 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorscoundrel1728 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorscoundrel1728 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorscoundrel1728 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorscoundrel1728 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 277664
Editing OK?: Ask first

As long as you can live with being able to shoot only semi-wide and wide angle, then go for it. The maximum focal length of this combination is equivalent to about 35 mm on a full-frame camera. I've had a couple of breakdowns with my own Tamron lenses and my Sigma lenses appear to have a better build quality. However, my Tamrons are my two most-heavily used lenses, both of them zooms, whereas all my Sigma lenses are primes except my still-new 150-500 mm f/5-6.3 field piece. Take from that what you will.
scoundrel1728 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013   #4
Alpaca

patpap25 is just really very very nicepatpap25 is just really very very nicepatpap25 is just really very very nicepatpap25 is just really very very nicepatpap25 is just really very very nicepatpap25 is just really very very nicepatpap25 is just really very very nicepatpap25 is just really very very nicepatpap25 is just really very very nicepatpap25 is just really very very nicepatpap25 is just really very very nice
CamelKarma: 53094
Editing OK?: Yes

I had the Sigma 10-20mm and sold it to help pay for a 17-40 f4 L lense and regret selling it. I love the 17-40 its just I like having the extra width of the 10-20. I would love to have the Canon 10-22mm lense right now and I would definitely like one for my hiking buddy.
patpap25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013   #5
F1 Camel

stef@apl strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorstef@apl strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorstef@apl strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorstef@apl strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorstef@apl strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorstef@apl strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorstef@apl strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorstef@apl strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorstef@apl strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorstef@apl strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorstef@apl strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 761720

The 15-85 is supposed to be a really good non-L lens. It's obviously not as wide as a 10-20 but might be more useful overall. Also grab some tubes for macros.
stef@apl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013   #6
Vicuna

Surfwooder is a jewel in the roughSurfwooder is a jewel in the roughSurfwooder is a jewel in the rough
CamelKarma: 205

Hi, I shoot and hike with a Canon 50D. I recently took a photo trip to Costa Rica and used mostly a Canon EF 70-200mm f4L USM, and a Tamron 18-270mm with VC. When on a trail you will use wide angle for all the views, but will need a tele for that occasional deer, bear, and bird. When hiking I don't want to carry a truck load of lenses, so only one or two make the pack. When hiking in the Pacific North West, the trails can be pretty steep and almost vertical so carrying even the camera with one lens is a chore. The 50D is a workhorse of a camera, a good choice. It is getting a little long in the tooth age wise. Be careful about shutter count, dust in the body, and usage problems. You may want to look into a used/refurbished 60D or 7D. Both are great upgrades to the old 50D.
Surfwooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013   #7
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

Max@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 599568

Quote:
Originally Posted by --MRB-- View Post
Wrong headline... Meant to write "Canon 50 D + EF-S 10-22 as hiking buddy, what do you think?"
Fixed

Max@Home

[
CANON] [EF24-70F4.0L IS] [EF70-200F2.8L IS II] [EF70-300L IS] [EF40F2.8 PanCake] [EF85F1.2L II] [EF100F2.8L Macro IS] [270ex II] [430ex II] [600ex-rt] [ST-E2] [EOS 5D MkIII w/ BG-E11][PowerShot G1 X MkII]
[MeFOTO][GlobeTrotter C2350Q2T] + [MANFROTTO][685B NEOTEC Monopod w/234RC Swivel Head]

...PBase images ?? ...or: SmugMug images ??
Max@Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013   #8
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

Max@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 599568
Default Re: Canon 50D + EF-S 10-22 as hiking buddy, what do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by --MRB-- View Post
I was thinking about buying a Canon 50D and EF-S 10-22 mm lens as my hiking buddy Does anyone have any experience with these ones? Especially the lens is a big question mark for me as my 50mm 1.4 "gold ring" just broke down from the focusing cylinder. Luckily it was easily fixable with DIY instructions from the web, but it left me a bit of a bad taste in my mouth anyway... So what do you think, would it be better to buy a Sigma or Tamron instead?
The 50mm F1.4 is known for it's bad behavior , not the best lens made, build-wise, but nice, optical-wise

The build of the EF-S10-22mm F3.5-F4.5 USM is in a whole different ballpark, build-wise it is almost equal to the 17-40F4L with which it shares it's lenshood, like the L it has inner focusing and zooming, only lacks the weather-sealing, so in that regard, a Sigma or Tamron would not be better, build-wise, and IMO neither optical-wise.

Quote:
I would be looking for a rough body and a lens with about 15-20 mm at the wide end for landscapes and about 30-50 mm at the other end for all around purposes. Fastness of the lens isn't that important because most of the shots are landscapes with tripod. The body should also have moderate/good ISO handling for night shots (northern lights). So which ones to buy (as used) with about 1000 eur budget, that is the question
As mentioned, the EF-S 15-85 IS might fit that requirement, but not within the budget.

You could look at a Sigma 17-70F2.8-F4.0 (OS), which has a neat Macro Mode also ?

The 50D body fits the bills, maybe even a 550D/600D would fit, would make the hiking package lighter, and would leave more $$$/ for the lens ??

Kindest regards,

Max@Home

[
CANON] [EF24-70F4.0L IS] [EF70-200F2.8L IS II] [EF70-300L IS] [EF40F2.8 PanCake] [EF85F1.2L II] [EF100F2.8L Macro IS] [270ex II] [430ex II] [600ex-rt] [ST-E2] [EOS 5D MkIII w/ BG-E11][PowerShot G1 X MkII]
[MeFOTO][GlobeTrotter C2350Q2T] + [MANFROTTO][685B NEOTEC Monopod w/234RC Swivel Head]

...PBase images ?? ...or: SmugMug images ??
Max@Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013   #9
Vicuna

lowbone has a spectacular aura aboutlowbone has a spectacular aura about
CamelKarma: 129

I have had the Canon 10-22 since it came out and I think it is a very good lens for wide angle landscapes. I used it with a good deal of success on a 50D when I owned that body.
It is sharp has excellent color and contrast and the build quality is very good, almost L quality except there is no weather sealing. If that is the focal length you desire I think you would be very happy with this lens.
lowbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013   #10
Alpaca

Photonet will become famous soon enough
CamelKarma: 96

I have a 50D and a 10 -22 Canon lens. I recently spent 5 weeks traveling across Russia with only the 10 - 22 and the 70 - 200. I mostly used the 10 -22 (Damn fine lens). If you know how to work it it is really versatile.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon »

Share this topic: