PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2006   #1
Vicuna

Frumious Boojum is on a distinguished road
CamelKarma: 35
Default AE-1 Problem

Need a bit of help with this AE-1 that I just obtained recently.

The shutter keeps sticking... sometimes, it just doesn't even open, sometimes (on bulb or other longer exposure settings), it opens slightly after the mirror opens.

From what I understand, it's probably that the magnets need a bit of cleaning... does this sound like the right diagnostic?

If so, how should I go about doing it?

deviantART Gallery
Frumious Boojum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

Max@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 599568
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: AE-1 Problem

Hi Frumious Boojum,

I do not know if it are the magnets, but my best bet is to go to a specialized repair shop and have it fixed

I had the same sort-of trouble with my A-1, repair was /$ 65, a decent body goes for about /$ 125-175 in The Netherlands

Hope this helps some, kindest regards,

Max@Home

[
CANON] [EF24-70F4.0L IS] [EF70-200F2.8L IS II] [EF70-300L IS] [EF40F2.8 PanCake] [EF85F1.2L II] [EF100F2.8L Macro IS] [270ex II] [430ex II] [600ex-rt] [ST-E2] [EOS 5D MkIII w/ BG-E11][PowerShot G1 X MkII]
[MeFOTO][GlobeTrotter C2350Q2T] + [MANFROTTO][685B NEOTEC Monopod w/234RC Swivel Head]

...PBase images ?? ...or: SmugMug images ??
Max@Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006   #3
Vicuna

Update...

Well, last night I talked to my photo instructor about it. He recommended me to this retired camera repairmen who still does repairs and cleaning to help out the students. Apparently, he's done an excellent job with very labor-intensive repair (body damage and such) that would normally cost $250+ for only $7.

So, if he's that good and doing things that low, I think I'll check him out.... might try to give him extra if it is that good.
Old 12-02-2006   #4
F1 Camel

Sidebyte strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSidebyte strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSidebyte strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSidebyte strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSidebyte strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSidebyte strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSidebyte strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSidebyte strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSidebyte strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSidebyte strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSidebyte strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 1196923

My T70 shutter became erratic and I opened the camera, opened the shutter with the "bulb" setting (make sure you don't release the shutter button) and carefully cleaned the magnets and channels with alcohol and an ear swab.* After it dried a bit it is now working perfectly.* The problem was more related to the channels or tracks the shutter travels in than the magnets but regardless, it's fine now.* I've put several rolls of 36 ex. through it and no mishaps at various speeds.
Old 12-02-2006   #5
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

Max@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 599568

Sydebyte,

...would it matter that the T70 has an 'Vertical-travel, focal-plane electronic shutter', where as the AE-1 has a 'Four-axis, horizontal-travel focal-plane shutter with cloth curtains'...

...the types are so different that the cure for your shutter could possibly do more harm than good to the AE-1 shutter

...not saying it *does*, I do not know, just a 'caution warning', worth *my* 0.02...

Kindest regards!

Max@Home

[
CANON] [EF24-70F4.0L IS] [EF70-200F2.8L IS II] [EF70-300L IS] [EF40F2.8 PanCake] [EF85F1.2L II] [EF100F2.8L Macro IS] [270ex II] [430ex II] [600ex-rt] [ST-E2] [EOS 5D MkIII w/ BG-E11][PowerShot G1 X MkII]
[MeFOTO][GlobeTrotter C2350Q2T] + [MANFROTTO][685B NEOTEC Monopod w/234RC Swivel Head]

...PBase images ?? ...or: SmugMug images ??
Max@Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006   #6
F1 Camel

Sidebyte strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSidebyte strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSidebyte strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSidebyte strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSidebyte strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSidebyte strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSidebyte strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSidebyte strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSidebyte strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSidebyte strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSidebyte strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 1196923

True!, bears a close examination. If the tracks are dirty even in the AE-1 it will cause problems. I also had to clean the slides on my old FTQL when it got sticky.
Old 12-02-2006   #7
Vicuna

Sparky98 is a name known to allSparky98 is a name known to allSparky98 is a name known to allSparky98 is a name known to allSparky98 is a name known to allSparky98 is a name known to allSparky98 is a name known to allSparky98 is a name known to allSparky98 is a name known to allSparky98 is a name known to allSparky98 is a name known to all
CamelKarma: 2230

Could it be a battery problem? I'm not sure if a battery could cause that type of trouble but it is about the simplest check you could make.
Old 12-03-2006   #8
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky98
Could it be a battery problem? I'm not sure if a battery could cause that type of trouble but it is about the simplest check you could make.
I checked the battery level and that's fine.

Sometimes, it is a battery problem -- that's pretty much always what's recommended with troubleshooting the shutter problem since the camera won't work with no battery.

I'm going to give this repair guy a call tomorrow. He'll be able to check for anything else I might've missed, too.

deviantART Gallery
Frumious Boojum is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon »

Share this topic: