Canon t1i help
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photos of the Week Photos of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2012   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Canon t1i help

im new to using canon t1i could someone give me step by step instructions on how to
take HDR photo i dont know what setting to do please help if you can any help would be great thanks.

Old 02-01-2012   #2
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 783595
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Canon t1i help

You're starting the hdr hole early! Here's step by step instructions. Progressing to successive numbers depends on you fully understanding the previous.
  1. Learn how many bits of accuracy your sensor has and how much noise you can expect. Shooting raw will record 16 bits, but the sensor isn't nearly that accurate.
  2. Learn a few things about photography and composition. Tricks will not save a crappy composition.
  3. Figure out what actual the purpose of HDR is, and why it exists.
  4. Figure out if you mind having the middle tones compressed or duplicated.
  5. Figure out if you're happy to have the middle tones in different colors instead of compressed.
  6. Ask yourself if you really want HDR, or if you just want neon tonemapping.
  7. Ask yourself if using a flash might work better (e.g. real estate photography).
If you just want interesting tonemapping, buy the Topaz Adjust plugin and shoot in raw. Ignore the rest of this post. Topaz Adjust rocks, and can really help some images... it can also ruin them.

If you really do understand all the above, then
  1. Get a good tripod and mount your camera on it. Your camera should be as solid as a rock to a slight push from any direction. IT CANNOT MOVE.
  2. Get a remote release for your specific camera. These are cheap, or you can spend a few bucks more for a radio remote release. If you don't have a remote, you'll have to push the shutter yourself, and that may cause some movement. The more solid the tripod and less motion, the better your final image will be.
  3. Set AE bracketing in Aperture Priority. I think the t1i can only do 1 stop.
  4. Set the EV to -1 and shoot 3 shots (at EV -2,-1,0). Carefully (without moving your rock solid camera) set the EV to +2 and shoot 3 more (at EV 1,2,3). (If you can do two stops of bracketing, you can just shoot 3 at +0EV which will result in EV -2, 0, +2.)
  5. Combine the 6 (or 3) shots using HDR software. I recommend Oloneo but there are lots out there that work well. Nik Software makes one that I'd like to try sometime.
Optional:

1. Crank up the tonemapping to look surreal.
  2. Watch all your facebook friends oooh and ahhh.
  3. Watch all the Real Photographers (tm) shake their heads.
stef@apl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012   #3
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 371548

The only thing I can add is that the T1i will do +/- 2 stops compensation. Otherwise, I think it's all been answered. I've never done HDR, so I couldn't offer any suggestions. I understand the basic process, but just never had any interest.

Canon 60D -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF-S 60mm f2.8 Macro -- EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS USM -- EF-S 10-22 f3.5-f4.5 USM.
Preeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012   #4
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 41654895

A camera body does not take a HDR photo. It records an image within the tolerance of its sensor. You create an HDR photo from one or multiple images of the same subject using various post-processing manipulation. Here is a link to a tutorial. There are many others which you can find by doing a google search.

HDR Tutorial | High Dynamic Range Tutorial
Old 02-05-2012   #5
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 7847

Ditto the above. Depending on your ability to hold a camera steady, tripod is optional. I took this photo (three shots @ 18mm focal length on a T1i crop sensor - 1/20, 1/5 and 4/5 seconds) handheld, leaning against a railing.

Saturn V rocket by ScubaDude1960, on Flickr

Induro [AT313 tripod] [AM25 monopod] [GHB2 gimbal head]
Canon [F1-n] [A-1] [various FD lenses] (retired)
ScubaDude is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon »

Share this topic: