Stupid to buy a 1 body now?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2006   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 46
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Stupid to buy a 1 body now?

So Canon didn't announce a new 1 body. Is it stupid to consider buying a pro Canon body now? What would you do?

Old 08-24-2006   #2
Llama

CamelKarma: 12115
Default Re: Stupid to buy a 1 body now?

Buy it if I really wanted it. Look for a good price from an established and reputable dealer.

Don't worry about tomorrow, next week, month or year. Things change. You will have the body now and start using it now.

TonyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006   #3
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 35

There are ALWAYS new cameras coming up.

My philosophy is simple: buy when you need it (or slightly earlier for you to get used to it). Different considerations apply if you are a collector.

Just my 2p.

Cheers
KH
Old 08-25-2006   #4
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 820906
Editing OK?: No

If I were in your shoes I'd wait a little, it's only a matter of few weeks (supposedly). You'll never know what improvements there will be, either specs or price. And if you are not happy with the new offering(s) you can always buy the older model at a reduced price... that's a win/win situation in my book.

Good luck with anything you decide on.
Old 08-25-2006   #5
Llama

CamelKarma: 79

Can't say, three months ago I asked myself the same question. Am I buying another MKIIn camera now and Iíll really want the improvements announced in August?

Well I did not wait. And it looks like February/March 07, before Iíll be tempted again.

However with the 4MP D2hs & 8MP 1DMKIIn cameras from Nikon & Canon now, are more than servicing the news/magazine industry and on the other side 22MP being the new ďlimitĒ for agencies and some high quality repro houses along with the relatively minor improvements in the 400D, I donít see a new Canon for my needs, thatís the 1DMKIIn version segment in the near future at all.

If I am in the market for a 1DS version then I think Iíd wait, as my success in this increasingly competitive market can be gear related primarily and skill related secondarily. Keep in mind the high cost of this gear, typically low second hand demand and consequently low resale value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Moss
So Canon didn't announce a new 1 body. Is it stupid to consider buying a pro Canon body now? What would you do?
Gbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006   #6
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 690429
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Moss
So Canon didn't announce a new 1 body.
...yet...

If possible, hold your horses for another month (PhotoKina is starting 26-9...)

Max@Home

Canon PowerShot G1X MkII, Canon PowerShot G3X, some accessories (hoods, flashes, filters, tripod) and some knowledge to use them
Max@Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006   #7
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 12

Walter -
I'd wait until PhotoKina also.
If you're happy with the feature sets of the current offerings and a new 1 body is announced, the prices for the current ones will come down - AND - there will be lots of used perfectly good ones available for great prices.

Steve - Canon 40D, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS, EF 50mm f/1.4, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, EF-S 17-85mm f/4.0-5.6 IS, Extender EF 1.4x II, Speedlite 580EX, ST-E2 Transmitter, Gary Fong Lightsphere, Manfrotto 055MF3 Magfiber, Bogen 322RC2 Head +++]
stevemost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006   #8
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 690429
Editing OK?: Yes

...one other reason to wait a little longer, if you are able...

...DIGIC III is out, guess what type camerabody would be the first to incorporate it

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=19733923

quote:

"To support its success, Canon designs, develops and manufactures its own lenses, image sensors, image processors and color rendering software. With consistently high annual investments in research and development, Canon continues to stay ahead of the market with its innovative imaging technologies, such as UA (Ultra High Refractive Index Aspherical) Lens Technology, the DIGIC II (Digital Imaging Integrated Circuit) and DIGIC III image processors, as well as Canon CMOS image sensors for the company's EOS Digital SLR cameras."

Here's a link to Canon's press release. It's the third paragraph in the "Brief History" section.

http://www.usa.canon.com/... .../20060824_leads_digicam_market.html

unquote

The link is not working anymore...

...2 more Ä cents...

Kindest regards!

Max@Home

Canon PowerShot G1X MkII, Canon PowerShot G3X, some accessories (hoods, flashes, filters, tripod) and some knowledge to use them
Max@Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006   #9
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 12

Interesting clue Max!

Steve

Steve - Canon 40D, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS, EF 50mm f/1.4, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, EF-S 17-85mm f/4.0-5.6 IS, Extender EF 1.4x II, Speedlite 580EX, ST-E2 Transmitter, Gary Fong Lightsphere, Manfrotto 055MF3 Magfiber, Bogen 322RC2 Head +++]
stevemost is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon »

Share this topic: