jpeg or raw
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photos of the Week Photos of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2011   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default jpeg or raw

plain and simple, whats the diff?

canon xsi, sigma 70-300 f/4.
please note: i dont have photoshop, or any other "purchased" editing software, witht he exception of the software that either came with the pc or with the camera.
please, 'dumb-down' to me...
Thanks.

Old 02-05-2011   #2
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 3293
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: jpeg or raw

When you take a picture with any digital camera the sensor collects a lot of data.
If you save the image as a JPEG the in camera software keeps most of that data based on the camera settings (white balance, lighting type, and others) and gives you the processed photo as a JPEG.
If you save as RAW the camera saves all the data and also saves the camera settings, when you load the image into your computer you can use software on your computer (Canon Digital Photo Professional is what came with your camera) you can choose to convert the image to JPEG with the settings from the camera or to change them on the computer.

Some pros & cons:
Raw takes a lot more space on your cameras memory card and your computers drive but gives you more options to correct/change how the image looks when you print it.
JPEGs are smaller so you can fit more on the card & you don't have to change them to JPEG to print them.

Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011   #3
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 4363
Editing OK?: No

If there is fast moments e.g. sports events .jpg for me, or if I am confident enough to edit in .jpg (which I rarely am, not to say that all my recent .jpg were that bad)

Entirely depends whether you want to shoot RAW, plus you do have DPP which edits RAWs
Old 02-05-2011   #4
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 332771
Editing OK?: Ask first

Something else to consider....

A jpg file is only an 8 bit file. A RAW file is a 16 bit file (which is why they are larger).
For a better explanation on 8 bit vs. 16 bit, please see this site.
The DPP that came with your camera will give you the option of saving in formats other than jpg (such as TIFF).

A jpg file is a lossy format. Basically, every time you make an edit on a jpg file and save it, you are losing some of the original data. Make another change, and another save, you lose more data.
A TIFF file keeps all the original data (and so does a RAW file).

The Adventures of the Photo Camel

My Smugmug page

A photograph is like a joke. If you have to explain it, it just isn't that good.
Killjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011   #5
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 8447895

If you are going to do any post processing at all, you might like to shoot in RAW. As long as you keep that RAW file, you have a "negative" to work with essentially forever..

Your camera has already processed the JPEG file, so it has already thrown out a bunch of data in order to compress it to that format.. You can still do some tweaking, but you can't get back any of that information that was already lost, and if you get some new software later, you keep losing data every time you "tweak"

If you don't intend to process, perhaps it's more of a nuisance to some. For me, I simply download all the RAW to an external hard drive and cull out all the OOF, mistakes, etc. I then work on the RAW (or a RAW copy) and convert to TIFF or JPEG, whatever is required for the job at hand. I generally will save any post-processed shots as a TIFF so I don't lose that time spent processing, and convert to jpeg if needed - then toss the jpeg. I seldom save any jpeg files any more unless I see a need..

Flikr
Larry D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011   #6
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 690429

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killjoy View Post
Something else to consider....

A jpg file is only an 8 bit file. A RAW file is a 16 bit file
we are still waiting for RAW files with 16-bit color depth , currently, Canon RAW (*.cr2 files) are 14-bit color depth.

The advantage of 14-bit RAW over 8-bit JPG is explained here

...€0.02...

Kindest regards!

Max@Home

Canon PowerShot G1X MkII, Canon PowerShot G3X, some accessories (hoods, flashes, filters, tripod) and some knowledge to use them
Max@Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011   #7
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 332771
Editing OK?: Ask first

As always, Max is the man with the answers. Thanks Max.

The Adventures of the Photo Camel

My Smugmug page

A photograph is like a joke. If you have to explain it, it just isn't that good.
Killjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011   #8
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First

JBRADY, think of raw and jpg almost like an investment. If you plan on using the pics for later, shoot raw. That way when your a bit more into editing photos you can have all the detail in the picture. If you plan just to shoot family pics, shoot jpg.

If you want to test the difference shoot the sky. You'll notice it's easier to change the sky color with raw. That's pretty much what raw is all about. The ability to change colors without degrading the picture.
Livi79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011   #9
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 371548

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrady5150 View Post

canon xsi, sigma 70-300 f/4.
please note: i dont have photoshop, or any other "purchased" editing software, witht he exception of the software that either came with the pc or with the camera.
Thanks.

I'm new to DSLR, and it took me a couple of weeks to realize that I was shortchanging myself by not shooting in RAW. Even if you don't do a lot of post processing right now, you still owe it to yourself to shoot in RAW and convert to jpeg using the Canon DPP software or similar. That way the RAW images will have all of the data your camera is capable of recording if you decide to move up to something like Photoshop Elements or beyond. I wouldn't shoot in anything else now.
Preeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011   #10
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 690429

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrady5150 View Post

please note: i dont have photoshop, or any other "purchased" editing software, with the exception of the software that either came with the pc or with the camera.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preeb View Post
Even if you don't do a lot of post processing right now, you still owe it to yourself to shoot in RAW and convert to jpeg using the Canon DPP software or similar. That way the RAW images will have all of the data your camera is capable of recording if you decide to move up to something like Photoshop Elements or beyond. I wouldn't shoot in anything else now.
...that, or shoot RAW+JPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livi79 View Post
If you want to test the difference shoot the sky. You'll notice it's easier to change the sky color with raw. That's pretty much what raw is all about. The ability to change colors without degrading the picture.
...it's a bit more than that : RAW gives the ability to change/alter/correct/control colors (WhiteBalance), exposure ('light', 'brightness'), saturation (from 'black and white' to 'Walt Disney'), Sharpness (from 'soft' to 'over sharpened'), lens distortions (including 'vignetting' and 'CA control'), noise reductions/filtering, color enhancements ('leveling'). And it can all be done, redone, redone and redone without degradation of or to the original 'as shot' data, and all the time you are using all the available 'as shot' data.

When you do all the above to an as-shot JPG, that JPG already is the result of some choices you and the camera made to come to that JPG in the first place, and those earlier choices are irreversible

Even if you save 'best quality largest JPG', that JPG file is always about 50% the size of the same RAW file, meaning that in that early process (from RAW to in-camera JPG the way you - PictureStyles - and the camera have chosen) you already lost/tossed out 50% of the data available...

Kindest regards!

Max@Home

Canon PowerShot G1X MkII, Canon PowerShot G3X, some accessories (hoods, flashes, filters, tripod) and some knowledge to use them
Max@Home is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon »

Share this topic: