PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2005   #1
Llama

Alice Morrison is on a distinguished road
CamelKarma: 40
Default Your favorite walkabout lens?

Which is it?

Thanks.

Old 08-25-2005   #2
Vicuna

jonnen is on a distinguished road
CamelKarma: 11
Default Re: Your favorite walkabout lens?

Quite tough question. I really love Canon 50/1.8 and Tokina 12-24. Maybe Tokina is just now my favorite.

Jonne
Old 08-25-2005   #3
PJW
Vicuna

PJW is on a distinguished road
CamelKarma: 14

16-35 f:2.8L

But I just bought a Pro 1 so,,,
Old 08-25-2005   #4
Guanaco

SensorDust is on a distinguished road
CamelKarma: 15

EF-s 17-85 f4-5.6.

It has a nice range on my 350D. Picture quality is good enough. Image Stabilization is great. It is a slow lens but excellent for daytime use. And if the lens got damaged for some reason, I would not suffer as much as if one of my L-lenses did. When I know I need a better quality picture, I take the L-lenses and leave this one home.

But looking towards that new EF 24-105L IS lens. Yes, I have L-lens collection disease. Hope they find a cure before I need a second job for the hobby.
SensorDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005   #5
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

Max@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 599568
Editing OK?: Yes
Default My favorite walkabout lens... ;-)) M@H

well...

Really depends on what mood I am in...

If in a 'wide mood' EF17-40F4L, if in a 'no particular idea, we'll see' mood EF24-70F2.8L, if I am set on candid portraits etc, EF70-200F2.8L IS, if I am walking about to catch some birds, EF100-400F4.5-F5.6L IS... (taped EF Extender 1.4x II in pocket )

My primes I mostly use indoors...

Kindest regards,

Max@Home

[
CANON] [EF24-70F4.0L IS] [EF70-200F2.8L IS II] [EF70-300L IS] [EF40F2.8 PanCake] [EF85F1.2L II] [EF100F2.8L Macro IS] [270ex II] [430ex II] [600ex-rt] [ST-E2] [EOS 5D MkIII w/ BG-E11][PowerShot G1 X MkII]
[MeFOTO][GlobeTrotter C2350Q2T] + [MANFROTTO][685B NEOTEC Monopod w/234RC Swivel Head]

...PBase images ?? ...or: SmugMug images ??
Max@Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005   #6
Camel Breath

JDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 2121022
Default Re: My favorite walkabout lens... ;-)) M@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max@Home
well...

Really depends on what mood I am in...

If in a 'wide mood' EF17-40F4L, if in a 'no particular idea, we'll see' mood EF24-70F2.8L, if I am set on candid portraits etc, EF70-200F2.8L IS, if I am walking about to catch some birds, EF100-400F4.5-F5.6L IS... (taped EF Extender 1.4x II in pocket )

My primes I mostly use indoors...

Kindest regards,

Max@Home
The trouble is that invariably I end up in a different "mood" when I'm walking about than I was in when I chose the lens to walk about with. It's a frustrating situation. I've found the 100-400 to be the most versatile lens, actually, but it's not really one I care to walk around with, since it's so heavy.
JDArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005   #7
Photocamel Master

Max@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 599568
Default I hear you... ;-)) M@H

Hi Jay Dougherty,

>> The trouble is that invariably I end up in a different "mood" when I'm walking about than I was in when I chose the lens to walk about with. It's a frustrating situation.

...isn't that everybody's problem, LOL!

>> I've found the 100-400 to be the most versatile lens, actually, but it's not really one I care to walk around with, since it's so heavy.

...for the too heavy/too big moments I own a Pro1 with a nice 28-200F2.4-F3.5L USM lens )

...*my* 0.02...

Kindest regards!

Max@Home

[
CANON] [EF24-70F4.0L IS] [EF70-200F2.8L IS II] [EF70-300L IS] [EF40F2.8 PanCake] [EF85F1.2L II] [EF100F2.8L Macro IS] [270ex II] [430ex II] [600ex-rt] [ST-E2] [EOS 5D MkIII w/ BG-E11][PowerShot G1 X MkII]
[MeFOTO][GlobeTrotter C2350Q2T] + [MANFROTTO][685B NEOTEC Monopod w/234RC Swivel Head]

...PBase images ?? ...or: SmugMug images ??
Max@Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005   #8
Alpaca

philhill is on a distinguished road
CamelKarma: 12

Recently the Sigma 30mm f:1.4, previously the Canon 85mm f:1.8.* And occasionally the Canon 135mm f:2.0, depending on whether extra reach is needed.
philhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005   #9
Vicuna

Rumpole is on a distinguished road
CamelKarma: 35

Hate to be pedantic but the question itself is so fluid so the answers that follow must be even more fluid.

It all depends on where you walkabout and what sort of objects you tend to shoot and your preference for composition - some like it wide and some like it closeup.

The "IDEAL" walkabout lens, if it exists at all in the first place, would have the following features: wide range in terms of focal length, large aperture, light, fast focusing, quiet, inconspicuous, weatherproof, inexpensive, not necessarily in that order. Each of us would weigh one factor more than others.

Just my 2p.

Cheers
KH

Old 08-31-2005   #10
Llama

CI Photography is a jewel in the roughCI Photography is a jewel in the roughCI Photography is a jewel in the rough
CamelKarma: 246

I carry two lens. Both are great and not to heavy. EOS 17-40 F4 & EOS 70-200 F4. With my 20D.

* * * * * * *Joe

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon »

Share this topic: