PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2010   #1
Alpaca

Goofyguy is on a distinguished road
CamelKarma: 10
Default Canon Import vs USA

I have seen the posts regarding lenses that are imports but not the actual camera body. I am looking to buy a Canon 7D..
  • Camera King lists as an Import for 1319
  • Fumfie lists as USA model for 1399
  • Adorama 1599 ** Authorized Canon Dealer
  • Adorama Refurbished 1399 USA Model 1 Year Warranty included
  • B&H 1599 ** Authorized Canon Dealer

My question is there a difference in USA vs Import or just the warranty. I called Canon and they will service an Import. I checked Canon site of Authorized dealers and Fumfie not listed so would I really be getting a USA model? Looking at buying a 24 - 105 4/l IS USM (Ive been told this is a good all around lens to travel with)

Thanks

Old 03-09-2010   #2
Vicuna

inTempus has a spectacular aura aboutinTempus has a spectacular aura about
CamelKarma: 108
Default Re: Canon Import vs USA

First, never buy from an untrusted online retailer that advertises below retail prices for camera bodies. 99% of the time its a scam company that will either never ship your camera or worse, will use your credit card info for unauthorized transactions. The internet if FULL of such scam sites.

I looked up "Camera Kings" and it's one of the scam sites.

Camera Kings (bwayphoto.com, preferredphoto.com, digitalliquidators.com, regalcamera.com, more..) - camerakings.com - Reviews, Ratings and Prices at ResellerRatings

Read the reviews. Scroll down and you will find one thing in common with Camera Kings, they follow up every web order with a phone call before the order is processed. Why? Because they are going to hard sell you a bunch of junk you don't need for exorbitant prices.

I only shop online with Adorama and B&H.

If you buy an "import" Canon body or lens, that means it does NOT have a USA warranty. That means it's "gray market" and Canon USA did not import the body. It was imported from another country and is of questionable origin. Canon has the right to deny service on gray market products. Nikon flatly refuses to service any gray market item, even if you offer to pay for it! They will force you to return it to the country of origin for service, assuming you know what that country is. Canon has been known to be more flexible on gray market lenses, but on bodies they often times won't warranty them.

With the known problems with the 7D (AF issues and soft focus issues) I would not even consider buying one that doesn't have a USA warranty.
Old 03-09-2010   #3
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

Killjoy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorKilljoy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorKilljoy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorKilljoy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorKilljoy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorKilljoy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorKilljoy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorKilljoy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorKilljoy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorKilljoy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorKilljoy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 332771
Editing OK?: Ask first

If you purchase a Gray Market item from B&H or Adorama, you can have it serviced through them.

I agree about the bottom dollar places. They will sell you a camera and then ask if you wanted a battery with that?
How about a camera strap? Oh! Did you need a battery charger to go with that battery?

Check them all at the Reseller Ratings website.

The Adventures of the Photo Camel

My Smugmug page

A photograph is like a joke. If you have to explain it, it just isn't that good.
Killjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010   #4
Alpaca

Goofyguy is on a distinguished road
CamelKarma: 10

Thanks for the responses...
Made the choice an easy one..
Goofyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010   #5
Camel Breath

swampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 1241703
Editing OK?: Ask First

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTempus View Post
I only shop online with Adorama and B&H.
Beach Camera and Buy Dig are also reputable (I've personally had great results with both) and are usually cheaper than Adorama and B&H, though I've bought from all four.
Old 03-10-2010   #6
KmH

+1 on Buydig.com and that is owned by Beach Camera.
Old 03-10-2010   #7
Camel Breath

swampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 1241703
Editing OK?: Ask First

Quote:
Originally Posted by KmH View Post
+1 on Buydig.com and that is owned by Beach Camera.
And the odd thing is that they don't always carry the same thing, nor are they always priced the same. Odd...
Old 03-10-2010   #8
Bactrian

Thunder_o_b strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorThunder_o_b strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorThunder_o_b strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorThunder_o_b strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorThunder_o_b strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorThunder_o_b strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorThunder_o_b strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorThunder_o_b strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorThunder_o_b strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorThunder_o_b strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorThunder_o_b strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 175170
Editing OK?: Yes

Go with B+H, I have spent a lot of money on them and I have no regrets. I have had to return a defective camera and they shipped me a new one right away. Service is first rate. Prices are good and knowing that you won't get the shaft goes a long way with me.
Thunder_o_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010   #9
Vicuna

Helen Oster is a splendid one to beholdHelen Oster is a splendid one to beholdHelen Oster is a splendid one to beholdHelen Oster is a splendid one to beholdHelen Oster is a splendid one to beholdHelen Oster is a splendid one to beholdHelen Oster is a splendid one to beholdHelen Oster is a splendid one to beholdHelen Oster is a splendid one to beholdHelen Oster is a splendid one to beholdHelen Oster is a splendid one to behold
CamelKarma: 5625
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyguy View Post
I have seen the posts regarding lenses that are imports but not the actual camera body. I am looking to buy a Canon 7D..
  • Camera King lists as an Import for 1319
  • Fumfie lists as USA model for 1399
  • Adorama 1599 ** Authorized Canon Dealer
  • Adorama Refurbished 1399 USA Model 1 Year Warranty included
  • B&H 1599 ** Authorized Canon Dealer
My question is there a difference in USA vs Import or just the warranty. I called Canon and they will service an Import. I checked Canon site of Authorized dealers and Fumfie not listed so would I really be getting a USA model? Looking at buying a 24 - 105 4/l IS USM (Ive been told this is a good all around lens to travel with)

Thanks
Sorry for coming late.......

I've just picked up on this thread, & need to clarify the position re the "grey market", at least as far as Adorama is concerned.

"Grey market" refers to products imported directly into the US, rather than through the manufacturer's authorized agents / distributors. It is perfectly legal to directly import & sell these products in the US; the term "grey market" was coined by manufacturer's authorized distributors who wanted to discourage consumers from buying these (less costly) goods.

With no factory authorized middle-man involved in the import of these products, costs are lower, so the price is lower to our customers. Many items which are in short supply or not imported at all by the manufacturer's authorized distributors are available in direct import.

Any Adorama products which are being sold as such will be clearly marked, and you are more than welcome to contact me directly should you have any concerns regarding a specific listing.

There is no difference in the actual products. Occasionally manufacturers will name them differently for example the Olympus USA Digital Stylus Cameras are called Olympus MJU Cameras in Europe
On direct import products purchased from Adorama, we offer exactly the same warranty as the USA warranted products carry for a period of one year. The only difference is that you would need to ship it to Adorama for warranty service.

Equipment classified as "Imported" or "Gray Market" purchased within the United States will technically not be covered by Canon warranty anywhere in the world, because it was not targeted for sale in the US but rather, imported by unaffiliated resellers to take advantage of pricing in various international markets and exchange rate fluctuations. (e.g. Canon Australia only services cameras purchased through a Canon Australia authorised stockist/retailer)

However, for, I think, about the past 10 years, the policy of Canon USA has been to honor their warranty for any unit sold though an authorized Canon reseller, whether it has been imported by an authorized agent or is direct import.

All the customer requires is original receipt to verify the reseller and the date of sale apparently you don't need the warranty card - and even if you do have the warranty card, you will still have to provide the receipt.

You need to be aware, that Nikon USA will not service a direct import item at all, whether the customer is willing to pay or not.

I hope this helps, but you are very welcome to contact me directly if you need any additional information.

http://twitter.com/HelenOster

HelenO@adorama.com

Helen Oster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010   #10
Vicuna

inTempus has a spectacular aura aboutinTempus has a spectacular aura about
CamelKarma: 108

Hey Helen, you're everywhere! Glad to see you here too, and once again your input is greatly appreciated.

inTempus is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon »

Share this topic: