PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2009   #1
Vicuna

Inspeqtor has a spectacular aura aboutInspeqtor has a spectacular aura about
CamelKarma: 119
Default Canon XSi and old Speedlite 200E?

I have an old Speedlite 200E flash (new 1991) that I would like to find out if it is possible to make it work on my Canon XSi camera. I wish I could get the 580EX II, but with the economy in the pits it is not going to happen right now.

When I take some shots with the 200E flash sometimes the exposure looks OK but most of the time the photos are washed out.

Is it possible to make the 200E and XSi work together, or is it a lost cause since the technology is so old on the 200E?

Thank you

Canon 60D * Canon XSi *
Sigma 17-70 f2.8-f4 DC Macro OS * Sigma 150-500 f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM
Canon 18-55 IS Kit Lens * 70-300 IS USM * 50mm f1.8 * 580EX II
Inspeqtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

Max@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 599568
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Canon XSi and old Speedlite 200E?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspeqtor View Post
I have an old Speedlite 200E flash (new 1991) that I would like to find out if it is possible to make it work on my Canon XSi camera. I wish I could get the 580EX II, but with the economy in the pits it is not going to happen right now.

When I take some shots with the 200E flash sometimes the exposure looks OK but most of the time the photos are washed out.

Is it possible to make the 200E and XSi work together, or is it a lost cause since the technology is so old on the 200E?

Thank you
From the EOS Flash Bible :

Nomenclature of external flash units.

E means it works with EOS cameras.

Hotshoe flashes.
Canon sell and have sold a number of different standard hotshoe flash units, which can be divided into three basic categories. Have a look here for a brief comparison of E and EZ (ie: non-EX) flash units.
Basic flash units - 160E*, 200E, 220EX.
These small devices have very limited power output - you could think of them as little flash units for those cameras which lack built-in flash. The 160E and 200E support TTL only, but the 220EX supports both TTL and E-TTL. They do not zoom, swivel or tilt, but are extremely compact and lightweight.

...€0.02...

Kindest regards!

Max@Home

[
CANON] [EF24-70F4.0L IS] [EF70-200F2.8L IS II] [EF70-300L IS] [EF40F2.8 PanCake] [EF85F1.2L II] [EF100F2.8L Macro IS] [270ex II] [430ex II] [600ex-rt] [ST-E2] [EOS 5D MkIII w/ BG-E11][PowerShot G1 X MkII]
[MeFOTO][GlobeTrotter C2350Q2T] + [MANFROTTO][685B NEOTEC Monopod w/234RC Swivel Head]

...PBase images ?? ...or: SmugMug images ??
Max@Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009   #3
Vicuna

Max,

Thank you for the link. Here is something I read in this link:

I have an old flash unit. Will it work on my new Canon digital EOS camera?
Maybe. That depends on what type of flash unit you have.
Canon digital cameras can only communicate with Canon Speedlite flash models with names ending in EX. If your Canon flash unit has a model name which ends with E or EZ or anything else then its automated features will not work with a Canon digital EOS camera.
As for flash units manufactured by other makers, check its specifications to see if it supports “E-TTL flash metering.” If it does not, or only lists “Canon TTL flash metering” then it most likely will not work. For details see the section on flash metering with digital cameras.

It is saying (if I understand it correctly) that my 200E will not work. I will have to wait for the economy to improve so I can get the 580EX II flash. Sigh...
But that is really what I thought I would find out.

Canon 60D * Canon XSi *
Old 01-29-2009   #4
Camel Breath

swampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 1241609
Editing OK?: Ask first

Charles,

What about the 430EX II? It's more powerful than the 200 you have and quite a bit cheaper than the 580EX II.
Old 01-29-2009   #5
Vicuna

Steve,

I just checked the price of the 580 and 430 on Amazon. The 580 is creeping back up in $$ so I may need to get the 430 instead but it will still be some time away before I have the $$$ to get one. My hours were cut this week in what I am allowed to work. I am very thankful I still have a job in this lousy economy.

Canon 60D * Canon XSi *
Old 01-29-2009   #6
Camel Breath

swampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 1241609
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
I am very thankful I still have a job in this lousy economy.
That's good to hear, so many people take their jobs for granted and aren't thankful. I don't blame you for putting off purchases that aren't necessary. I sometimes wish I'd put off getting the 50D for the same reason because I got laid off between buying it and paying the credit card bill. Then again, sometimes I'm glad I did get it or who knows when I'd be able to get it and be enjoying it as I am now.
Old 01-29-2009   #7
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampler View Post
I got laid off
I am really sorry to hear you got laid off Steve. I do hope you can find a good job soon.

Canon 60D * Canon XSi *
Old 02-01-2009   #8
Guanaco

TheRileyFactor is just really niceTheRileyFactor is just really niceTheRileyFactor is just really niceTheRileyFactor is just really niceTheRileyFactor is just really niceTheRileyFactor is just really niceTheRileyFactor is just really nice
CamelKarma: 752

Quote:
Max,
It is saying (if I understand it correctly) that my 200E will not work. I will have to wait for the economy to improve so I can get the 580EX II flash. Sigh... [/LEFT]
But that is really what I thought I would find out.
The 200E will not work in auto-mode, but it will work in manual mode. I have a 199A that I used on my AE-1 that I still use on my 20D. None of its automatic features will work, but with a little Flash Exposure Compensation and a diffuser (aka note card rubber banded to the flash and bounced off the ceiling) it'll produce great results until you get the cash for a 580EXII... I even just ordered some cables (as per the recommendation of Max) to do some Off Camera flash-work... As long I have checked my histogram after the first couple pictures so I can set my FEC, then my 199A has worked great, its just not nearly as sophisticated as all of the new flashes!
Old 02-01-2009   #9
Guanaco

TheRileyFactor is just really niceTheRileyFactor is just really niceTheRileyFactor is just really niceTheRileyFactor is just really niceTheRileyFactor is just really niceTheRileyFactor is just really niceTheRileyFactor is just really nice
CamelKarma: 752

I just noticed that you said you have an XSi... I actually don't know if it will work on the XSi as mine has worked on my 20D, I've never tried to use my flash on an XSi... so know that I'm using a 20D, and my earlier post was based upon my experience with the 20D!!
Old 02-01-2009   #10
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

Max@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 599568

Quote:
Here is something I read in this link:

I have an old flash unit. Will it work on my new Canon digital EOS camera?
If your Canon flash unit has a model name which ends with E or EZ or anything else then its automated features will not work with a Canon digital EOS camera.
It is saying (if I understand it correctly) that my 200E will not work.

...it is saying your 200E doesn't work in AUTO mode, but will work just fine in Manual Mode

...€0.02...

Kindest regards!

Max@Home

[
CANON] [EF24-70F4.0L IS] [EF70-200F2.8L IS II] [EF70-300L IS] [EF40F2.8 PanCake] [EF85F1.2L II] [EF100F2.8L Macro IS] [270ex II] [430ex II] [600ex-rt] [ST-E2] [EOS 5D MkIII w/ BG-E11][PowerShot G1 X MkII]
[MeFOTO][GlobeTrotter C2350Q2T] + [MANFROTTO][685B NEOTEC Monopod w/234RC Swivel Head]

...PBase images ?? ...or: SmugMug images ??
Max@Home is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon Forum »

Share this topic: