PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2008   #1
Dromedary

dougsmit is a splendid one to beholddougsmit is a splendid one to beholddougsmit is a splendid one to beholddougsmit is a splendid one to beholddougsmit is a splendid one to beholddougsmit is a splendid one to beholddougsmit is a splendid one to beholddougsmit is a splendid one to beholddougsmit is a splendid one to beholddougsmit is a splendid one to beholddougsmit is a splendid one to behold
CamelKarma: 3857
Default Noise and the 5D mk II

Has anyone seen anything comparing the relative noise levels of the full size images and the reduced 10Meg versions given equivalent settings and processing? Traditional wisdom leads one to expect less noise from a large sensor and a smaller pixel count (therefore larger ixels) but when one moves down to a smaller pixel count are the effective pixels affected in terms of noise? Is there a comparison of images shot at 10Meg and full size using ISO 25600?

Has anyone addressed any labs being unable to handle full size images shot from this camera? I know my local Costco equipment rejects composite images I have pasted together before they get to the size of the native 5D mkII full size but this is not a problem since the largest they print is 12x18 and files reduced to their maximum print well at that size. Has anyone seen 20x30 or so paper prints from large image files to compare to what you got from 12Meg or 16 meg files?

dougsmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008   #2
Vicuna

matthewlrigdon has a spectacular aura aboutmatthewlrigdon has a spectacular aura about
CamelKarma: 164
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Noise and the 5D mk II

If you hunt around on the internet, there are some full size images you can download from the mk2. You could take one of those and shrink it, then compare it against a photo taken with the original 5D that has similar exposure and subject.

Canon's been real careful, though, about letting these things out in the wild. Anything out there right now is a pre-production camera, so it might not truly represent the camera's final capabilities.

There are some reviews of the 50D where they take images from that camera and compare them to blow-ups of images from the 40D to compare noise. Here's one. To my own eye, side by side the 50D has slightly better detail, but noise levels are around the same. It is an improvement, but not massive.

Keep in mind, though, the 5D was plugging along with the old Digic 2 processor (it's one of the last Canons to get upgraded) and the new one will have a Digic 4. That alone should give the new mk2 a huge advantage.
Old 11-17-2008   #3
Vicuna

ZoomIS is on a distinguished road
CamelKarma: 10

5D MkII Noise Link:
Digital ProTalk: It's Revelations Monday: 8 Hours With The Canon 5D Mark II
ZoomIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008   #4
Vicuna

sgreenman is a jewel in the roughsgreenman is a jewel in the roughsgreenman is a jewel in the roughsgreenman is a jewel in the rough
CamelKarma: 343

I will have mine on Monday. Would have had it Friday but I missed it by an hour. Had to leave to go out of town. Man I almost turned back. I cant wait to put it through its paces.

sgreenman is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon Forum »

Share this topic: