PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2008   #1
Dromedary

Jose strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJose strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJose strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJose strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJose strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJose strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJose strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJose strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJose strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJose strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJose strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 407545
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Error Code 243

Several times while on vacation this code started blinking on my 5D with a 16 GB card. The camera froze and the only way to make it work again was turning it off and removing and replacing the battery. This pattern was repeated but the camera would restart again.

Another item that I became aware of is that these cameras "shots reminding" indicator in the top LCD Panel only have 3 digits so when using a large card the total number of shots available is not know; the indicator starts working when the number of shots is less than 999.

Last edited by Jose; 07-16-2008 at 07:49 PM.. Reason: grammar
Jose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008   #2
Camel Breath

swampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorswampler strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 1241609
Editing OK?: Ask first
Default Re: Error Code 243

I don't know anything about the error code, but even with a 4 GB file, I see 999 for shots remaining in all modes except RAW until I get below 999 remaining.
Old 07-16-2008   #3
F1 Camel

Eero Makela strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEero Makela strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEero Makela strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEero Makela strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEero Makela strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEero Makela strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEero Makela strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEero Makela strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEero Makela strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEero Makela strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEero Makela strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 8532682

Has the camera ever been tested with your brand and size of Flash Card?

Does it ever occur with smaller cards?

Me I do not like to put all my shots in 1 large card for safety reason and to avoid the loss of all photos if the 16gb fails for some reason. I have remained below 4gb on my D300 and had to stay below 2gb on my D50.

Last edited by Eero Makela; 07-17-2008 at 12:55 PM.. Reason: Changed D300 to D50 on the end
Eero Makela is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008   #4
Dromedary

Jose strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJose strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJose strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJose strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJose strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJose strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJose strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJose strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJose strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJose strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJose strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor

My oversigh; I only shoot RAW. With a 8 GB card I get about 864 shots in RAW. Big cards give me a full day of shooting and not having to worry about carrying additional cards. I had never had a problem with Compact Flash cards since I went digital in 2003.
Old 07-16-2008   #5
Llama

Kosherpaparazzi has a spectacular aura aboutKosherpaparazzi has a spectacular aura about
CamelKarma: 122

Who's the card manufacturer? What do you mean by camera froze?
Kosherpaparazzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008   #6
Dromedary

A 16 Gb Transcend 133X. The camera will not operate at all, just a blinking "243". Brand new camera, just purchased last month.
Old 07-17-2008   #7
Vicuna

afterburn will become famous soon enough
CamelKarma: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecto69 View Post
Has the camera ever been tested with your brand and size of Flash Card?

Does it ever occur with smaller cards?

Me I do not like to put all my shots in 1 large card for safety reason and to avoid the loss of all photos if the 16gb fails for some reason. I have remained below 4gb on my D300 and had to stay below 2gb on my D300.
That's the same argument people used in the days of 386/486 computers when buying memory. They'd prefer 4 * 1MB sticks over 1 * 4MB in case one went bad. It was rediculous then, and it is rediculous now.

Jose, how do you get 864 shots in RAW on 8GB? Are you using a 5D? I only get 495 shots in RAW on a 8gig card.
Old 07-17-2008   #8
Dromedary

I checked the number of shots/card that I can get from the 5D and the 40D set to RAW.

Camera----- Card Size----- Shots/Card
5D------------- 16 Gb----------- 955
5D--------------- 8 Gb---------- 493
40D------------ 16 Gb---------- 999+ LCD reads only to that #
40D------------- 8 Gb---------- 592 A slight higher # than when used in the 5D due size of files

While doing this test I found that same brand and size cards will deliver different # of shots. As an example I got 592 and 605 shots from 2 Ridata 8 Gbs cards respectively in the same camera.

I had seen cards as high as 48 GB and assume that in the next 18 months 128 Gbs may become available. I do welcome the bigger cards since these may allow me not to have to carry portable hard drives in the field to download the cards for reuse. Currently I am using an average of 150 GBs for a two weeks of shooting in the field.

Last edited by Jose; 07-17-2008 at 07:36 AM.. Reason: Clarification
Old 07-17-2008   #9
Camel Breath

aam1234 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoraam1234 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoraam1234 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoraam1234 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoraam1234 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoraam1234 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoraam1234 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoraam1234 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoraam1234 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoraam1234 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoraam1234 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 807448

Does this happen with other cards.
Old 07-17-2008   #10
Dromedary

Yes.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon Forum »

Share this topic: