PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
PhotoCamel Directory Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2006   #1
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

JDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 2110670
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Canon camera serial numbers

Are serial numbers sequential on canon cameras?

For example, can I assume that a 1DS with a serial number of 102877 was made earlier than a 1DS with a serial number of 110770?

Any insight appreciated. Thanks.

Old 01-03-2006   #2
Photocamel Master

ohenry has much to be proud ofohenry has much to be proud ofohenry has much to be proud ofohenry has much to be proud ofohenry has much to be proud ofohenry has much to be proud ofohenry has much to be proud ofohenry has much to be proud ofohenry has much to be proud ofohenry has much to be proud ofohenry has much to be proud of
CamelKarma: 10255
Editing OK?: No
Default Re: Canon camera serial numbers

That would seem like a fairly safe assumption. However, one never knows
Old 01-03-2006   #3
Camel Breath

Mr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 2408109

I don't think so. And is your number fairly accurate? In that you put all the "letters" in it? My lowly D60 has 10 digits in its number, and I know the 20D does too, and the 10D did. Hard to believe they went backwards to only 6 digits.

Anyway, it is a different format than the Canon Lens serials, which use a letter for the year, and the month, and a letter to describe the city of manufacture.

Also, to CHECK your serial number, use a JPG image from the camera. Open the image in a program that shows ALL the EXIF data (like Exifer, or others). The Cameras ID is shown in the Maker Notes section. Should match the one on the camera. If it doesn't, you can check the number listed in the software to be sure it isn't in hexidecimal format. Take the number on the camera, and "convert" it in a calculator (use Google by typing in "sn# in Hex" without quotes, and do put the words IN HEX after the number). It should give the umber that is in the software. You may need to swap the bits (last 4 digits I think) to the front, and maybe add a zero at the beginning of the rest.
Mr. Pickles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006   #4
Camel Breath

JDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor

Yes, the 1DS serial numbers are only six digits. Maybe they didn't plan on making more than 1 million?
JDArt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006   #5
Photocamel Master

ohenry has much to be proud ofohenry has much to be proud ofohenry has much to be proud ofohenry has much to be proud ofohenry has much to be proud ofohenry has much to be proud ofohenry has much to be proud ofohenry has much to be proud ofohenry has much to be proud ofohenry has much to be proud ofohenry has much to be proud of

I could give you my serial number, but since I bought it used, that info is probably useless. However, the number is higher than both of the ones you listed.
Old 01-03-2006   #6
Camel Breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohenry
I could give you my serial number, but since I bought it used, that info is probably useless. However, the number is higher than both of the ones you listed.
That's okay. I was really just wondering whether the serial is a guide to when the camera was manufactured.
JDArt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006   #7
Photocamel Master

That's why I said my info would prove useless. I don't have a clue when mine was purchased initially, much less when it was manufactured
Old 01-03-2006   #8
Vicuna

ukwanderer is on a distinguished road
CamelKarma: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pickles

Also, to CHECK your serial number, use a JPG image from the camera. Open the image in a program that shows ALL the EXIF data (like Exifer, or others). The Cameras ID is shown in the Maker Notes section. Should match the one on the camera. If it doesn't, you can check the number listed in the software to be sure it isn't in hexidecimal format. Take the number on the camera, and "convert" it in a calculator (use Google by typing in "sn# in Hex" without quotes, and do put the words IN HEX after the number). It should give the umber that is in the software. You may need to swap the bits (last 4 digits I think) to the front, and maybe add a zero at the beginning of the rest.
Good tip Mr P.

ukwanderer
Relativly new to photography.Learning is proving difficult because of 2 children, 2 ex wifes, , 2 jobs and very little spare time. But I have a cunning plan.If selling the ready made family on Ebays, falls on it's ass, then the lottery is sure to work.If only I could find the time to buy a ticket.
ukwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006   #9
Photocamel Master

Here's an interesting tidbit of info I found on the 1Ds serial number while googling....

One unusual feature is the 1Ds's digital-signature function, which electronically signs images with the camera's serial number at the time of exposure. Any subsequent alteration will void the digital signature and expose the manipulation, which makes the 1Ds useful for forensic photography that may eventually be introduced as evidence in court.
Old 02-05-2006   #10
Alpaca

Codocee is on a distinguished road
CamelKarma: 11

Another way to determine build date is to peek down into the battery compartment of the 1Ds with a flashlight, you'll see a letter like OR or something followed by month and day made, like: OR1020 or something like that. I think the O is the factory and the R is the year. If R is 2003 then I have 10/20/2003. I think this is correct. Correct me if I'm wrong!

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon Forum »

Share this topic: