PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2007   #1
Guanaco

keithallenlaw will become famous soon enough
CamelKarma: 67
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Histogram...RGB or brightness?

A little survey here on which way you review your histogram. RGB or
brightness. Most importantly if you answer this which format do you
shoot? Raw or .jpg.

I use the RGB and I sometimes make adjustments in the WB Shift/BKT if I clip
a certain color. But, since I shoot RAW I find this a useless feature. After all,
your seeing a in-camera converted .jpg histogram anyway.

keithallenlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007   #2
Photocamel Master

brian.austin has much to be proud ofbrian.austin has much to be proud ofbrian.austin has much to be proud ofbrian.austin has much to be proud ofbrian.austin has much to be proud ofbrian.austin has much to be proud ofbrian.austin has much to be proud ofbrian.austin has much to be proud ofbrian.austin has much to be proud ofbrian.austin has much to be proud ofbrian.austin has much to be proud of
CamelKarma: 10673
Editing OK?: Ask first
Default Re: Histogram...RGB or brightness?

Depends on the camera. Some don't show RGB histograms, only exposure.
Old 06-09-2007   #3
Guanaco

keithallenlaw will become famous soon enough
CamelKarma: 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian.austin View Post
Depends on the camera. Some don't show RGB histograms, only exposure.
Very observant you are. Obviously I meant this for the ones who have this
feature. Anyway, have you had the chance to use this option yourself?

Actually since you brought it up, the one who don't have this option are
welcome to elaborate as well.

keithallenlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007   #4
Dromedary

dougsmit is a splendid one to beholddougsmit is a splendid one to beholddougsmit is a splendid one to beholddougsmit is a splendid one to beholddougsmit is a splendid one to beholddougsmit is a splendid one to beholddougsmit is a splendid one to beholddougsmit is a splendid one to beholddougsmit is a splendid one to beholddougsmit is a splendid one to beholddougsmit is a splendid one to behold
CamelKarma: 3857

I use RGB, shoot RAW and find I often reshoot a flower to tame the blown red channel. Yes, the histogram shows the JPG but you have control over the settings for the JPG even though it is not the saved file. How much and what control depends on camera model but setting to a lower saturation and contrast might help if you suffer from false positives of blown highlights.
Old 06-09-2007   #5
Dromedary

Jose strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJose strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJose strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJose strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJose strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJose strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJose strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJose strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJose strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJose strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJose strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 407545

Brightness, RAW and move the curve to the right carefully not to blow away the highlights.
Jose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007   #6
Llama

PavelOlavich will become famous soon enough
CamelKarma: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose View Post
Brightness, RAW and move the curve to the right carefully not to blow away the highlights.
Is it a crime to blow highlights?

Often one requires some blown highlights in order to expose the subject properly. I don't consider this a bad thing. Often, exposing to not blown any highlights makes for a bad picture.

Until our DSLR's provide human-like DR, this is a challange we all deal with.
Old 06-11-2007   #7
Dromedary

Jose strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJose strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJose strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJose strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJose strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJose strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJose strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJose strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJose strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJose strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJose strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 407545

There is no crime in blowing highlights...you must do what gives you the image you want. All you are doing is loosing information.

"Often, exposing to not blown any highlights makes for a bad picture." Maybe, but with the miracles of Photoshop one can expose to preserve all the information that is available and then make the image look anyway you please. Once the image is blown, the information is lost.
Jose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007   #8
Camel Breath

jfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to behold
CamelKarma: 4939
Editing OK?: No

I've already posted some of my thoughts that are related to this in this post: http://www.photocamel.com/forum/198571-post20.html. The in camera is only a general reference, as is the histo in the raw converter. Once the file is converted to an actual 16 bit/channel image format (raw is data, not an image format) I can look at both views and trust that the data I am viewing is accurate.
Old 06-11-2007   #9
Camel Breath

jfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to beholdjfrancho is a splendid one to behold
CamelKarma: 4939
Editing OK?: No

Quote:
Once the image is blown, the information is lost.
This is true. Though highlight recovery tools in raw converters has come quite a long way, it's better to get it right the first time.
Old 06-11-2007   #10
Llama

PavelOlavich will become famous soon enough
CamelKarma: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose View Post
There is no crime in blowing highlights...you must do what gives you the image you want. All you are doing is loosing information.

"Often, exposing to not blown any highlights makes for a bad picture." Maybe, but with the miracles of Photoshop one can expose to preserve all the information that is available and then make the image look anyway you please. Once the image is blown, the information is lost.

True, but why "save" unimportant data at the expense of the subject, especially the shadows on the subject?

Are you suggesting that one should never blow highlights?

To get the most image detail, especially in the shadows, one has no choice but to judiciously blown some highlights, or at the very least expose to the right...raw shooting wise.

Wedding Hack, 5D's, L primes 14mm through 200, L zooms 16mm through 400.
PavelOlavich is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon Forum »

Share this topic: