PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
PhotoCamel Directory Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2012   #1
Alpaca

michellea76 is on a distinguished road
CamelKarma: 10
Default Tips in using EOS 600D

Hi, I just purchased the entry level EOS 600D (Rebel T3i). I want to ask for pieces of advice as to what kinds of accessories (lens, perhaps?) can a noob like me buy? I am into portraits and close-up shots. I took basic photography lessons back in college but I am not very familiar with lens types yet.

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-17-2012   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

Max@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMax@Home strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 598994
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Tips in using EOS 600D

Quote:
Originally Posted by michellea76 View Post
Hi, I just purchased the entry level EOS 600D (Rebel T3i). I want to ask for pieces of advice as to what kinds of accessories (lens, perhaps?) can a noob like me buy? I am into portraits and close-up shots. I took basic photography lessons back in college but I am not very familiar with lens types yet.
we take pride in always advising 'noobs' the same: start shooting with what-you-got (you didn't mention: which lens came with your 600D ? 18-55IS or 18-135IS ?), in a month or two you will know what you want and can come back with a far more precise question, and (preferably to give you a decent advise) a working budget

So go out and shoot, post images, ask questions, but keep your money in your pocket - just for now. The 600D in itself is camera enough that it will take anyone, and especially a 'noob', some time to figure it out

Hope this helps some, *my* 0.02 worth of advise...

Kindest regards!

Max@Home

[
CANON] [EF24-70F4.0L IS] [EF70-200F2.8L IS II] [EF70-300L IS] [EF40F2.8 PanCake] [EF85F1.2L II] [EF100F2.8L Macro IS] [270ex II] [430ex II] [600ex-rt] [ST-E2] [EOS 5D MkIII w/ BG-E11]
[PowerShot G1 X MkII] [Member CPS Europe]
[Manfrotto] [055CXPRO3 legs + 322RC + RA Grip Ball Head + 804RC2 Basic Pan Tilt Head + Giotto MH-1001 Ball Head w/Manfrotto RC2 plate adapter]
[685B NEOTEC Monopod w/234RC Swivel Head]

...PBase images ?? ...or: SmugMug images ??
Max@Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012   #3
Photocamel Master

thcofer strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorthcofer strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorthcofer strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorthcofer strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorthcofer strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorthcofer strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorthcofer strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorthcofer strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorthcofer strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorthcofer strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorthcofer strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 42728526

Good advice Max. Look forward to seeing your shots Michellea76.

Tom C.

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.
thcofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012   #4
Alpaca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max@Home View Post
we take pride in always advising 'noobs' the same: start shooting with what-you-got (you didn't mention: which lens came with your 600D ? 18-55IS or 18-135IS ?), in a month or two you will know what you want and can come back with a far more precise question, and (preferably to give you a decent advise) a working budget

So go out and shoot, post images, ask questions, but keep your money in your pocket - just for now. The 600D in itself is camera enough that it will take anyone, and especially a 'noob', some time to figure it out

Hope this helps some, *my* 0.02 worth of advise...

Kindest regards!

Max@Home

Hi Max, thanks for your tips, I will do just that. I am enjoying exploring the features By the way, it came with a 18-55IS lens.
michellea76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012   #5
Alpaca

Quote:
Originally Posted by thcofer View Post
Good advice Max. Look forward to seeing your shots Michellea76.
Thanks, Tom. I will share as soon as I can
Old 02-22-2012   #6
Vicuna

puffcrusader696 is a name known to allpuffcrusader696 is a name known to allpuffcrusader696 is a name known to allpuffcrusader696 is a name known to allpuffcrusader696 is a name known to allpuffcrusader696 is a name known to allpuffcrusader696 is a name known to allpuffcrusader696 is a name known to allpuffcrusader696 is a name known to allpuffcrusader696 is a name known to allpuffcrusader696 is a name known to all
CamelKarma: 2052
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Originally Posted by michellea76 View Post

Thanks in advance!
I have this same camera! Also a relatively new investment and there is definitely a learning curve but you will discover that it is really not bad. Like everyone else has said, and from very recent personal experience, just go shoot. I've already narrowed down my needs and it has not been long at all. Whatever happens, you mustn't forget to just have fun with it!
puffcrusader696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012   #7
Alpaca

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffcrusader696 View Post
I have this same camera! Also a relatively new investment and there is definitely a learning curve but you will discover that it is really not bad. Like everyone else has said, and from very recent personal experience, just go shoot. I've already narrowed down my needs and it has not been long at all. Whatever happens, you mustn't forget to just have fun with it!
Thank you! I have been experimenting with the camera features and settings and enjoying it so far.
Old 06-09-2012   #8
Alpaca

2daysoldrndirt is on a distinguished road

michellea76 and puffcrusader696, like you both, I have just purchased the T3i and am barely up thelearning curve with it. One piece of advice I was provided which has helped me a bunch, shoot everything in manual mode and review each shot and make corrections until you are happy with what you got. It forces you to learn aperture, ISO, and shutter speed, and you learn the affect of light. I have improved greatly in a matter of days since taking this approach.
2daysoldrndirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012   #9
Alpaca

pnwhiker is on a distinguished road
CamelKarma: 12

To Michellea76:
Give this some thought, try Utube and do a search on DSLR Tutorials
and you will find that most of those guys have great advice on using
your T3i, Do Not waste your money on Books, use that Gold For Tripods
and Filters and Lense's. I'm not saying Book author's give bad advice,
cause they don't, but it's the old scam write 300 pages of xxxxx..., and you only
need maybe 10 pages at best from the book, same scam used in early days
of computer tech, sold a lot of books and made authors rich on your gold.
For some inspiration Here is a short movie I filmed with a T3i a couple weeks
back, just to give you a idea what you can do or more, link is below:
main
Enjoy your T3i and would enjoy seeing either a movie or shots from your part of the world.
Enjoy.......Pnwhiker.
pnwhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012   #10
Alpaca

2daysoldrndirt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwhiker View Post
To Michellea76:
Give this some thought, try Utube and do a search on DSLR Tutorials
and you will find that most of those guys have great advice on using
your T3i, Do Not waste your money on Books, use that Gold For Tripods
and Filters and Lense's. I'm not saying Book author's give bad advice,
cause they don't, but it's the old scam write 300 pages of xxxxx..., and you only
need maybe 10 pages at best from the book, same scam used in early days
of computer tech, sold a lot of books and made authors rich on your gold.
For some inspiration Here is a short movie I filmed with a T3i a couple weeks
back, just to give you a idea what you can do or more, link is below:
main
Enjoy your T3i and would enjoy seeing either a movie or shots from your part of the world.
Enjoy.......Pnwhiker.
Thanks, I will be trying video next weekend. What is the battery life while shooting videos. I currently have 3 batteries and a battery grip for my T3i. I will be shooting a 2 1/2 hour country music production. I think I may need the A/C power supply for this effort.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon Forum »

Share this topic: