How many megapixels are enough?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photos of the Week Photos of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Camera Phone

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2015   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 582607
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default How many megapixels are enough?

I read this somewhere on the internet and it got me wondering; do we really need a lot of megapixels if websites that we post our photos on downsize our photos anyway just to be able to post them? I was always under the impression that more megapixels meant better quality photos, but I guess that only applies if you're going to print a large size photo, like say larger than 8 x 10. According to what I've read, photos that are displayed on most websites are actually only 1 or less than 1 megapixel in size, which really surprised me, considering the fact that my Samsung Galaxy s5 camera takes up to 16 megapixels for photos and my Canon 60D is 18 megapixels. Turns out that all those megapixels are wasted and not needed and don't do you any good as far as your photo quality to display them on the web. In order to post your photos on a lot of websites, they are automatically downsized to be able to fit them onto the post so that people can see them. That's a lot of waste of quality in my opinion just to be able to have other people see your photos online.

Old 08-31-2015   #2
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 209041
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: How many megapixels are enough?

The amount of pixels means that the photo taken is broken down into smaller pixels. The smaller the pixel the more detail is in the photo. Granted you do not normally use that fine of a pixel when the photo is shown on your screen or printed on a printer that prints a max of 600 DPI, but when you take and go to a larger piece of paper to print your photo the printer can make a better photo because the information is available for the printer to still print in the 600 DPI mode and not have to (fill in) with guesswork. When you edit the photo to remove unwanted areas or to crop out an area to use for your photo you have enough detail to make a good photo. Think of it in terms of film. The low asa black and white film gave such detail, where as if you used a 400 asa or pushed to a 1200 asa, the grain of the photograph became apparent quickly when you tried to go to a large print or print a large print out of a portion of the frame. Just my two cents worth.

If I have this wrong someone fill in the correct answer! All help appreciated!

Last edited by OkieGentleman; 09-01-2015 at 02:54 PM.. Reason: Clarification
OkieGentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015   #3
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 1402575

I saw a shot once taken from the same place with 12mp and 45mp. The difference in detail was incredible but you had to zoom in a bit to see it. I am not talking 100 % either.
Tinstafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015   #4
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6964240

You need as many megapixels as you need. I'm good with 16 on my mirrorless. When I get a bigger house with bigger walls, I'll get more. I used to have a smaller house and limited walls and 5mp was plenty.

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015   #5
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 43713362

Twenty's plenty!
Martin

Once photography enters your bloodstream, it is like a disease.

Software: Too numerous to list but my most used utility is ShiftN for perspective correction

Gear: Canon G12, no tripod, no lenses, no flash, no remote, no cases or bags!

Stiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015   #6
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 31066

On a 24x36mm sensor, 25 small megapixels and 25 large megapixels would give me the detail, dynamic range, and the light sensitivity I crave.
Narsuitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015   #7
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 315530
Editing OK?: Ask first

8 has been good enough for me for 10 years.
Naked Photogpher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015   #8
Llama

CamelKarma: 36102

It depends on what you shoot, and what you do with your images. If you shoot items to sell on eBay, a few mega pixels is enough. You don't need much resolution.

If you do any cropping, more mega pixels are nice to have. The pixels in a full frame camera are usually better than in a crop body as well. Larger pixels, are better than smaller pixels. So 24 mp on a crop body are usually not as good as 24 mp on a full frame body. If you want to produce big images of things like landscapes or macro shots, and if you crop at all, a full frame camera with as many mega pixels as you can get will be helpful.

I use a 36 mp camera, and I love it. The resolution is great. I wouldn't want to go back to less resolution. Of course, with higher resolution cameras, you then have to have lenses that can handle that resolution. Otherwise your camera will out resolve the lenses, and your images will not appear sharp. You will see the limits of the lens quickly. You will also see if your shooting technique is not stable. You will see blur.

Nikon D800, D5500 IR 590nm, D50
nu2scene is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015   #9
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 315530
Editing OK?: Ask first

I've not noticed any lack from using 8 megapixels
Naked Photogpher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015   #10
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 221720

My 12 mp D300 and D700 will do anything I want them to do at practically any size print I could possibly want.

Western burbs of Chicago
hillsidekim is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Camera Phone »

Share this topic: