How many megapixels are enough? - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photos of the Week Photos of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Camera Phone

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2015   #11
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 315530
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: How many megapixels are enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsidekim View Post
My 12 mp D300 and D700 will do anything I want them to do at practically any size print I could possibly want.
Exactly. I've printed to 16*24 with no noticeable issues. Even entered the prints in the State Fair.

8mp gives me manageable file sizes, good images and so on. I regard film as the standard and 8mp is as good as film. More just seems to be overkill for the same of bravado for most users.
Naked Photogpher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015   #12
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6952480
Editing OK?: Ask First

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naked Photogpher View Post
...I regard film as the standard and 8mp is as good as film.
That comment could get some reaction, mostly negative.

BUT, since this was posted in the camera phone board long ago, and a few replies later, it is still in my opinion, a camera phone-ish thread, and for that, 8mp is probably good, or possibly high. I doubt there are a ton of people printing anything large from any camera phone, and a lot of people probably don't print anything from. So 8mp is overkill for a phone.

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015   #13
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 315530
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pickles View Post
That comment could get some reaction, mostly negative.

BUT, since this was posted in the camera phone board long ago, and a few replies later, it is still in my opinion, a camera phone-ish thread, and for that, 8mp is probably good, or possibly high. I doubt there are a ton of people printing anything large from any camera phone, and a lot of people probably don't print anything from. So 8mp is overkill for a phone.
Oddly enough my DSLR and my cellphone are both 8mp
Naked Photogpher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017   #14
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 18915

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinstafl View Post
I saw a shot once taken from the same place with 12mp and 45mp. The difference in detail was incredible but you had to zoom in a bit to see it. I am not talking 100 % either.

I see you have a D800. Remember when the D800 came out and Nikon had that photo of the library on their site that was taken with a D800 and demonstrated how much you could zoom in? Crazy detail.
Cameron V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017   #15
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 27071

Whatever my Samsung Galaxy 5 cell phone has is enough for me because I rarely use it as a camera.

The 24MP Fuji X100F, 24MP Fuji X-Pro2, the 24MP Leica M10, and the 36MP Nikon 810 digital cameras all have enough mega pixels for what I need to shoot. Just wish I could decide on which one to get.
Narsuitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017   #16
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 9004961

I have a D800, D750 and D700. I do not like the 36 megapixels of the D800 for what I mainly shoot, Sports! It has too many pixels and clogs my storage and my downloads. It is great for cropping and for portraits but the D700 is generally enough, the D750 is better if you have to crop but all do the job I want and I have many enlargements up to 30 x 40 done at my wife's lab with a Chromira to prove it and those were done several years ago before she closed the lab and went to studio only.
jhawk1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017   #17
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 124683
Editing OK?: Yes

D5300, 24mp.. Its way more than I need, but glad I have the excess.

This will allow me to crop and not loose detail, when compared to an uncropped "less than 24mp" image. This ability gives me extra options I would not have with lesser camera.

When zooming in on my images, I am so impressed! I should be, I saved up for months to get it!

Andrew
Old 1 Week Ago   #18
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 2449

I've printed a 40x60 in. print from my Nikon D70s. 6 MP was not a limiting factor here.

Colleague of mine made a print 8' by 3' for her studio from a Nikon D700. 12 MP. With the print inches from my face, the image appeared sharp, with no hint of pixilation.

I think the printing process is as important as the capture process, but I'm sure a good capture makes the printing process that much more reliable to get fantastic results.

Arved Grass Photography Blog
Arved is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Camera Phone »

Share this topic: