PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Camera Equipment Reviews

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2008   #1
Alpaca

Cloverwolf is on a distinguished road
CamelKarma: 17
Default Opteka Mirror Lens anyone?

I've been looking at the Opteka 500mm HD Telephoto Mirror Lens for my nikon d-40. Do any of you have any experience with this lens and can maybe show some sample pictures taken with it?

Would you recomend it? Iwould want to use it for taking pictures of wildlife where I can't get close and need to zoom in.

Old 03-11-2008   #2
F1 Camel

badpickev is a name known to allbadpickev is a name known to allbadpickev is a name known to allbadpickev is a name known to allbadpickev is a name known to allbadpickev is a name known to allbadpickev is a name known to allbadpickev is a name known to allbadpickev is a name known to allbadpickev is a name known to allbadpickev is a name known to all
CamelKarma: 1676
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Opteka Mirror Lens anyone?

if i remember correctly. opteka is the new brand name for phoenix. these are made my either cosina or samyang. they work ok, but will not meter on your camera.
Phoenix 100, 650-1300& Sima 100mm F2 SF
Sigma 12-24, 18-50 HSM, 18-125, 50-500, 70-300, 120-300, 1.4X 2x
Tamron 28-75
badpickev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008   #3
Dromedary

dougsmit is a splendid one to beholddougsmit is a splendid one to beholddougsmit is a splendid one to beholddougsmit is a splendid one to beholddougsmit is a splendid one to beholddougsmit is a splendid one to beholddougsmit is a splendid one to beholddougsmit is a splendid one to beholddougsmit is a splendid one to beholddougsmit is a splendid one to beholddougsmit is a splendid one to behold
CamelKarma: 3857

Opteka is one of the cheaper models of mirror and even the better ones are none too good when it comes to resolution. Add to that the lack of metering problem and I would suggest there might be a better way to add a telephoto. I have a Sigma mirror that is not too bad but they cost about 3x the price of the Opteka. All mirrors suffer from very small depth of field since you can not stop them down (f/8 is the only answer) so they are not terribly popular. I might suggest looking for an older used 400mm telephoto (non-mirror) instead.
Old 03-11-2008   #4
Guanaco

kevgermany will become famous soon enough
CamelKarma: 56
Editing OK?: Ask first

The Tamron SP is good.

However 2 other drawbacks with mirrors - they're pretty useless for birds, as the flashing from the mirror scares them off

The out of focus areas are pretty ugly, especially with grasses, trees and shrubs. I'd second Doug's suggestion.

Last edited by kevgermany; 03-11-2008 at 05:10 PM.. Reason: Misspelt Doug
kevgermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008   #5
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

cyclohexane strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorcyclohexane strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorcyclohexane strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorcyclohexane strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorcyclohexane strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorcyclohexane strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorcyclohexane strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorcyclohexane strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorcyclohexane strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorcyclohexane strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorcyclohexane strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 1097864
Editing OK?: No

A mirror lens is a real bad idea with a D40. The thing won't meter, and you'll be manually-focusing with a small dark viewfinder.
Old 03-21-2008   #6
F1 Camel

badpickev is a name known to allbadpickev is a name known to allbadpickev is a name known to allbadpickev is a name known to allbadpickev is a name known to allbadpickev is a name known to allbadpickev is a name known to allbadpickev is a name known to allbadpickev is a name known to allbadpickev is a name known to allbadpickev is a name known to all
CamelKarma: 1676

all that said and done. they can be a cool toy lens to play with in certain situations.
Phoenix 100, 650-1300& Sima 100mm F2 SF
Sigma 12-24, 18-50 HSM, 18-125, 50-500, 70-300, 120-300, 1.4X 2x
Tamron 28-75
badpickev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #7
Llama

Mr Mikey strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr Mikey strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr Mikey strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr Mikey strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr Mikey strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr Mikey strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr Mikey strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr Mikey strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr Mikey strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr Mikey strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr Mikey strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 186707

Late response: I have the Samyung (phoenix) 500 mirror reflector for Canon, same lens for all because it uses a T mount. I was given this lens which was good because it is in the box on the shelf. it does not produce sharp images, tripod or not. I would not recommend this lens at all. I get sharper images using a 2x converter and these are not even the sharpest. Save your bucks and buy a good 500mm piece of glass that will produce good images.
Mr Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #8
F1 Camel

00silvergt is a splendid one to behold00silvergt is a splendid one to behold00silvergt is a splendid one to behold00silvergt is a splendid one to behold00silvergt is a splendid one to behold00silvergt is a splendid one to behold00silvergt is a splendid one to behold00silvergt is a splendid one to behold00silvergt is a splendid one to behold00silvergt is a splendid one to behold00silvergt is a splendid one to behold
CamelKarma: 6150

I've never owned a mirror lens, I had a yearning to buy one in the past but friends convinced me otherwise citing poor IQ. Can you guys share some pics? Maybe the idea warrants revisiting? Thanks.
00silvergt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008   #9
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Alpaca

MrRed will become famous soon enough
CamelKarma: 92
Editing OK?: Ask first

Here are some samples of mine

The two of the cat were iso 400 and shot hand held with a flash. The next 3 are ISO 800 on a mono pod, shot off my balcony (Longueuil, facing Montreal). The bus was on the bridge, and was a moving target. The last shot is with my Sigma 18-50 as a point of reference. All shots taken F-8.

Yes, as with all long lenses, skill must be used to get good results. Practice your breathing and secure the camera/lens. Yes, there are much better glass out there. I just can't justify thousands $$ for the infrequent use I would get. Are the results I am getting that bad? I think nothing short of impressive, especially for the money (with some filters and a 2x mult - $159 on ebay).

Shot with Oly E-510, Sigma 18-50, Opteka HD/MC 500mm Mirror Lens, 2 nd
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 500-f8-1.jpg (98.8 KB, 398 views)
File Type: jpg 500-f8-2.jpg (125.2 KB, 393 views)
File Type: jpg 500-f8-3.jpg (291.3 KB, 395 views)
File Type: jpg 500-f8-4.jpg (149.1 KB, 390 views)
File Type: jpg 500-f8-5.jpg (194.7 KB, 393 views)
File Type: jpg 500-f8-6.jpg (132.4 KB, 391 views)

Cameras, stuff and imagination

http://http://www.flickr.com/photos/...7632431241379/
MrRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008   #10
F1 Camel

00silvergt is a splendid one to behold00silvergt is a splendid one to behold00silvergt is a splendid one to behold00silvergt is a splendid one to behold00silvergt is a splendid one to behold00silvergt is a splendid one to behold00silvergt is a splendid one to behold00silvergt is a splendid one to behold00silvergt is a splendid one to behold00silvergt is a splendid one to behold00silvergt is a splendid one to behold
CamelKarma: 6150

Thanks for sharing.

"difficult to survive by becoming professional photographer, it is more profitable to buy secondhand car and do pizza delivery than buy DSRL and shoot weddings." (kenzo D, Dpreview)

-Sig edited b/c someone requested it to done, the fun of was wearing out anyway!!!

I'm post happy, but Karma starved...please donate some
00silvergt is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Camera Equipment Reviews »

Share this topic: