Opteka Mirror Lens anyone? - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photos of the Week Photos of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Camera Equipment Reviews

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2008   #11
Llama

CamelKarma: 1099
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Opteka Mirror Lens anyone?

Sigma has a 600mm mirror lens that has dedicated mounts, is pretty sharp for a mirror lens and has decent close focusing ability. I have one for Minolta/Sony and, although I don't use it often, it has its situations where I need the extra focal length.

Bob S.

Here's a shot I took using the Sigma 600mm from about 60 feet away. Look closely at some of the out of focus branches and you can see the "donuts" that mirror lenses are known for.

Last edited by rshunk; 06-24-2008 at 07:38 AM.. Reason: Added a photo sample
rshunk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008   #12
Former Camel

CamelKarma: 3200
Editing OK?: Yes

MrRed, great post. The bus at 500mm, then the bridge with an 18mm lens for comparison - very smart! It really puts the 500mm into perspective.
spystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008   #13
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 3202135

I had a 500mm f8 reflex lens a long time ago, don't remember the brand. It was fun to use ocassionaly but the bokah was funny little circles....

COMMENTS, CRITIQUES ALWAYS WELCOME

IMAGINE ALL THE PEOPLE LIVING LIFE IN PEACE
verdesardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008   #14
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 92
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Originally Posted by spystyle View Post
MrRed, great post. The bus at 500mm, then the bridge with an 18mm lens for comparison - very smart! It really puts the 500mm into perspective.
When I was looking to buy, my biggest beef is the only photos posted were on the box. To me they were even obviously faked, as the short and long shots were pixel perfect to each other. I've never taken two shots exactly the same, have you? This is why I posted what I did. I'm not sure why anyone has not posted more.

The sad thing is I did not experiance any difficult taking the above photos, many others claim to have experianced. I did not get the 'dougnuts' many mentioned. It's not that I don't believe them, but it may be I just got a good copy and they did not.

Cameras, stuff and imagination

http://http://www.flickr.com/photos/...7632431241379/
MrRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008   #15
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 19805
Editing OK?: Ask First

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRed View Post
I did not get the 'dougnuts' many mentioned. It's not that I don't believe them, but it may be I just got a good copy and they did not.
Doughnuts are a result of having the secondary mirror in the center of the front of the lens. It causes a fuzzy point of light to have a dark center from the place in the middle which passes no light. However, when a fuzzy doughnut gets so very, very fuzzy that the center blends with the edge, the effect of that shadow is lost. That means that something with sharp contrasts that is close to being in focus shows doughnuts but something less snappy that is way out of focus may not. I include two examples. The chimp was a good distance away and the background was two to three times as far back. That is perfect for doughnuts. The bird was pretty close but the background was 20-30 times as far away so it was very out of focus. It also lacked the sharp point detail in the background so the contrast on doughnuts would be flatter and easier to lose in the background blur. Doughnuts are not a fault that a 'good' mirror lens can avoid. They are a fact of physics caused by the mirror having a hole in the middle. The longer the focal length of the lens (think Hubble telescope) the less a problem it will be. Careful placement of subject and background can make this 'fault' of mirror lenses hardly worth mention.

Both shot with the same Sigma 600mm mirror:

While I have several decent photos taken with the mirror, I still would not recommend the purchase unless you are well aware of their faults including but not limited to the doughnuts. When I bought my first mirror in the late 1960's we thought the doughnuts were cool. Times and tastes change.
Old 09-11-2008   #16
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 92
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougsmit View Post
...I still would not recommend the purchase unless you are well aware of their faults including but not limited to the doughnuts. When I bought my first mirror in the late 1960's we thought the doughnuts were cool. Times and tastes change.
Absolutely! When I decided to try I knew if I bought an expensive big lens, I would not use it enough to justify the price. I have a $900 full frame fish to prove that point. However, for the $150 I spent and the size of the lens, I would use it 10 times more. Eyes wide open and just for fun!

Cameras, stuff and imagination

http://http://www.flickr.com/photos/...7632431241379/
MrRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008   #17
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 452

I just purchased a Rokinon 500mm F6.3 and T-mount. I have been having fun with mine, since I always wanted to try a mirror lens. I am glad that I finally got one. I posted some pics in the good or bad bokeh thread.
Old 09-13-2008   #18
Former Camel

Link?

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamkazak View Post
I saw on eBay there are 500mm lenses that are not mirror. Opteka brand apparently does not have a fixed aperture and is allegedly manufactured in Japan.

I wonder if that would work better than the mirror lens? No 'donuts' and all that. It's the same price (about $85 shipped)

I have heard negative things about the x2 adapter that is available for $20 additional (which makes it 1000mm)

Cheers,
Craig
spystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008   #19
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 452

Try scrolling thru this discussion for my mirror lens pics.
Bokeh 101: The Best of and the Worst of - NikonCafe.com
Old 09-13-2008   #20
Former Camel

Here is a perfect example of the 'donuts' that can occur with mirror lenses (taken from that thread) :

Yikes! And from what I gather the mirror lens exists only to make the telephoto shorter, so if you can live with a longer lens you don't need a mirror and won't end up with 'donuts'.

I'm into giant cameras and giant lenses anyway, huge gear makes me look so cool

Cheers,
Craig

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Camera Equipment Reviews »

Share this topic: