PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2009   #1
Alpaca

legacydan is on a distinguished road
CamelKarma: 10
Default Recommend a Tripod for Nikon D90??

Hey guys looking for a good Tripod for my D90+18-105mm VR, i currently have a Manfrotto modo maxi which i was using with my D40. Its nice and light for travelling but not very sturdy and i wouldnt think it would take the extra weight of the D90. Anyone recommend one i should go for thats not too expensive and light enough to be easily portable. Or is my existing one good enough. Mainly need one for HDR photgraphy which im interested in.

Thanks

Dan

Old 08-03-2009   #2
KmH

Default Re: Recommend a Tripod for Nikon D90??

Quote:
Originally Posted by legacydan View Post
Hey guys looking for a good Tripod for my D90+18-105mm VR, i currently have a Manfrotto modo maxi which i was using with my D40. Its nice and light for travelling but not very sturdy and i wouldnt think it would take the extra weight of the D90. Anyone recommend one i should go for thats not too expensive and light enough to be easily portable. Or is my existing one good enough. Mainly need one for HDR photgraphy which im interested in.

Thanks

Dan
For good HDR's you need a very stable tripod. Define "not to expensive". Figure at least $400 for good legs and a good head.

Aluminum tripod's should be "light enough to be easily portable."
Old 08-04-2009   #3
Alpaca

Quote:
Originally Posted by KmH View Post
For good HDR's you need a very stable tripod. Define "not to expensive". Figure at least $400 for good legs and a good head.

Aluminum tripod's should be "light enough to be easily portable."
Wasn't planning on spending 400 one yet but might be a worth while investment.

Can you recommend any ones in particular to avoid/ go for?
legacydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009   #4
Camel Breath

Douglas strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDouglas strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDouglas strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDouglas strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDouglas strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDouglas strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDouglas strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDouglas strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDouglas strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDouglas strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDouglas strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 530901
Editing OK?: Yes

This is one I am gunning for. Its the head and legs for about $250

BG190XBKB Manfrotto (Distributed by Bogen) 190XB 3 Section Black Aluminum Tripod Kit, with Manfrotto 322RC2 Head, Adorama Deluxe Tripod Case, Double Bubble Level, Tripod Hanger
Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009   #5
KmH

If you use the forums search feature there are 10's of "recommend a tripod threads", there are usually 2 or 3 per month here on the forum.

You will buy a well made tripod once just every 25 years or so.

Visit www.giottos.com . I can recommend as the minimum the MT line, if you stay with the 32 mm legs of the MT 9370 or MT 9371 (both aluminum). Both of these have a simple 3-way head built-in saving you the cost of purchasing a separate head. The weight hook feature is handy for adding stability to the tripod. You can check pricing at your favorite on-line outlet. B&H has the MT-9371 on special at $212 today.

The most popular brand of tripods is probably Manfroto. I find Giottos gives a tad more value for the dollar. There are many brands and various price points.

Good luck with your search.
Old 08-04-2009   #6
Guanaco

trekrider is a splendid one to beholdtrekrider is a splendid one to beholdtrekrider is a splendid one to beholdtrekrider is a splendid one to beholdtrekrider is a splendid one to beholdtrekrider is a splendid one to beholdtrekrider is a splendid one to beholdtrekrider is a splendid one to beholdtrekrider is a splendid one to beholdtrekrider is a splendid one to beholdtrekrider is a splendid one to behold
CamelKarma: 4732
Editing OK?: Ask first

I was in this same postion a few months ago. I have a d90 w/ 18x105 and a 70x300 and eneded up going with a much more expensive unit than I originally wanted. After looking at all the options I figured that I only wanted to buy it ONCE instead of finding out that I should have just spent a little more at the time. So, I got a Manfrotta 055cxpro3 and the 468mgr c2 and although I spent way over my initial$350 price range. I can tell you that after my trip to Yellowstone park a few weeks ago and now taking over 1,500 pictures with this setup... WOW I LOVE IT !!! I am not at all regreting the extra money I spent and am sure that this will not neeed to be upgraded any time soon. This is a fairly heavy setup, but Sturdy, user friendly and extremely universal... Good Luck

Shooting a Nikon D90

Comments and suggestions always appreciated
Please visit my website http://www.memorablecaptures.com and leave some comments or buy some prints.
More can be seen at My Flickr Page
trekrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009   #7
Alpaca

Looks like a good option. Might see can i get it locally and try it out. I can always sell it and get a better one!
legacydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009   #8
Camel Breath

Steven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 995836

Since tripods can be one-time buys I suggest you spend the money and get one better quality than you need. If you try to go for a bargain and find it won't work for you, guess what? Probably won't work for someone else. You'll get back a fraction of what you spent, or you'll end up with several light weights crowding up some storage area. Then you'll still end up buyng a better and more expensive one.

Steve

Facebook

Camel Equine Group

My Equine Album

Fireworks Album

Steven G Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009   #9
Llama

Dave R. has much to be proud ofDave R. has much to be proud ofDave R. has much to be proud ofDave R. has much to be proud ofDave R. has much to be proud ofDave R. has much to be proud ofDave R. has much to be proud ofDave R. has much to be proud ofDave R. has much to be proud ofDave R. has much to be proud ofDave R. has much to be proud of
CamelKarma: 12692
Editing OK?: Ask first

I'm in the same position as you. Looking for that ultimate tripod without overspending or buying a name brand that has high quality, but IMHO are way overpriced. I'm considering this FEISOL Tournament Class four-section tripod CT-3442 right now, but continue to watch the forums for other discussions on tripods that may offer equal or better value for the same cost as the Feisol. Right now the Benro and Giottos are very close in value from my perspective. If you are interested in the Feisol, they can also be purchased from Really Big Cameras BTW, I am not associated with either of these retailers. Good luck.
Dave R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009   #10
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Dromedary

BovrilArg strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBovrilArg strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBovrilArg strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBovrilArg strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBovrilArg strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBovrilArg strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBovrilArg strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBovrilArg strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBovrilArg strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBovrilArg strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBovrilArg strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 1471821

So I have a D300 and went in to the store planning on spending about USD200 on a tripod. I walked out spending USD800 without a salesman in sight. The reason...I made the mistake of taking my camera into the store and TRYING the different tripods. I began "feeling" the different levels of quality and realized that if I spent thousands on camer and lens equipment it is only reasonable to get a solid tripod.

I know money does not grow on trees and if you do not have the money to spend then get a cheap one temporarly. Ultimately the way I look at it I wanted LIGHT and STURDY. As an engineer I can assure you that these two things are easy to get seperately but very difficult to get them both.

I ended up getting a Gitzo 6X GK2580TQ carbon tripod. A friend of mine who is into photography laughed at my stupidity for spending so much on a tripod. He laughed and made jokes and offered to sell me a lens cap for USD300. His jesting continued for several minutes...then he went over to pick it up. The next day he bought the same one.

Bottom line tripods hold up your gear. The tripod mount keeps the picture in line. Skimp on these two and you will regret it. A tripod is NO USE AT ALL if you leave it at home because it is too heavy. Get something light and sturdy. If you do not have the money get something temporary and save for the right stuff. I plan to change my camera before I change the tripod.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories »

Share this topic: