PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2006   #1
Camel Breath

JDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 2120221
Editing OK?: Yes
Default 4 GB compactflash cards

There appears to have been a drastic price drop for these cards, in the neighborhood of 50%, with top cards selling for $189 or so.

Stock is low currently, but still: worth watching.

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_a...ash&rd=1&skd=1

Old 02-08-2006   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
F1 Camel

RobAmy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRobAmy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRobAmy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRobAmy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRobAmy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRobAmy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRobAmy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRobAmy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRobAmy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRobAmy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRobAmy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 1443426
Editing OK?: No
Default Re: 4 GB compactflash cards

Thanks for the tip
RobAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006   #3
Camel Breath

JDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor

The question becomes what do you do with your old compactflash cards as time rolls on? I have 256MB cards hanging around. They're practically worthless on ebay. I'm sure at one time they went for $400 a pop.
JDArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006   #4
Guanaco

bevilaquafoto is a name known to allbevilaquafoto is a name known to allbevilaquafoto is a name known to allbevilaquafoto is a name known to allbevilaquafoto is a name known to allbevilaquafoto is a name known to allbevilaquafoto is a name known to allbevilaquafoto is a name known to allbevilaquafoto is a name known to allbevilaquafoto is a name known to allbevilaquafoto is a name known to all
CamelKarma: 2683
Editing OK?: Ask first

The only thing that makes me a little nervous about a 4BG card is that if you put an entire shoot on it, and the card gets corrupted, you've lost everything! I feel a little safer having the job spread around on 4 or 5 1 GB cards. I have not actually had a problem with a CF card before, however. Maybe my worry comes from my old 1 GB microdrive which was far more delicate.
bevilaquafoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006   #5
Camel Breath

I've never had problems with a CF card, either. I'll accept the risk over the inconvenience of having to swap cards -- always, of course, right when you don't want to.
Old 02-08-2006   #6
Dromedary

mikej will become famous soon enough
CamelKarma: 65

I would rather not have to swap cards any more than I have to when shooting as well. Especially since I shoot in raw and even my 1 gig cards don't get a lot of images on them anymore. So I wouldn't mind getting a 4 gig card.

What I do with the smaller CF cards is use them in the USB thumb drives. I have a couple that have a slot that I can use a CF card with rather than having the disk space built into it.

Mike
Old 02-08-2006   #7
Camel Breath

Recent prices for in-stock Sandisk:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...x=8&Submit.y=7
Old 02-08-2006   #8
Camel Breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jordan
What I do with the smaller CF cards is use them in the USB thumb drives. I have a couple that have a slot that I can use a CF card with rather than having the disk space built into it.

Mike
Can you give me some names or links to these drives?
Old 02-08-2006   #9
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

Mr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 4496794
Editing OK?: Ask First

I use old CF card in my Card Reader, connected to the computer with a USB. Any card reader should work. I don't know of a thumb drive that does this...

I have TWO cards crap out on me. Both og them just died, and had to be replaced. Both times a MicroDrive saved me. One of the CF cards died after I took three shots inot a double header softball tourney game. Hello MicroDrive
Mr. Pickles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006   #10
Dromedary

mikej will become famous soon enough
CamelKarma: 65

The one I have is round with a CF slot in it. I got it free with the one Lexar 512 meg card that I bought. Here are some examples of others. The last one is closer to what mine looks like but mine has a little USB pig tail that comes out one end. I used it quit a bit to transfer data, files and drivers from my computer to the workstations where I work. Then I bought a couple of 1 gig thumbnail drives so mine wasn't tied up all the time.

http://www.shopxtreme.com/catalog/us...iter-p-63.html
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=172282
http://www.mwave.com/mwave/Viewprodu...es+and+Readers
http://www.pcmall.com/pcmall/shop/de...pno~964296.asp

Mike

mikej is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories »

Share this topic: