New Demon KB-44 Ball head
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photos of the Week Photos of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 9058810
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default New Demon KB-44 Ball head

My wife and I are headed to Ireland in a couple of months. We have Gitzo tripods but will be taking the smallest Gitzo we have due to weight. It is an old aluminum but is lightweight. Over the years, I have gone through tripod heads as if they were water through a sieve. Manfrotto Ball head, Manfrotto pistol grip, Manfrotto Pan and Tilt head. None felt right and I hated the Manfrotto plates. I then got a Foba Superball which my wife still uses and loves on the camera stand in her studio. I then went to F&L Ballhead which I still use occasionally, then to a Arca B1 then to a Acratech. I still use all but the Manfrottos and they are long gone. In the interest of weight but stability for the travel, I bought a Demon KB-44 kit on Amazon for $74.95 with free shipping. It came today and really holds my Nikon D2x< D700, D750, D800 really steady. It has a 44mm ball and locks down very tight with my 300mm 2.8, my 300mm f4 and the lesser zooms of 70-200 and 80-200. It is much smaller and lighter than the others so it will go to Ireland with us. We are flying to Dublin with a stop on the beach at Wexford, then Kenmare and the Ring of Kerry, Dingle and a ferry to Doolin for a couple of days, then to the Cliffs of Moher, the Burren and then to Cashel with a little rest then a night in Dublin to relax in a castle nearby. We will be driving but still want stability without extra weight in the tripod because we will have to carry in some locations.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 1003395
Editing OK?: Ask first
Default Re: New Demon KB-44 Ball head

Sounds like a fabulous trip. Have a wonderful time. And don't forget to kiss the blarney stone.

Olympus OMD EM-1, EPL1, standard kit lens, 17mm 1.8, 60mm macro, 75-300mm II, 45mm 1.8, Rokinon 7.5mm Fish Eye, lens cap lens, ec-14, Fl-36 flash, adapter, misc accessories.
mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3
F1 Camel

Thanks Mike, already been there in the past and done that. Felt like I was kissing the entire world population.
jhawk1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #4
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6966254

Looks like a good ball head kit. 66lb load is good. Let us know how it works. I threw it in my list. Might be good on my MeFoto. What gear and lenses are you taking? Don't let the winds by the Cliffs of Moher topple you over....

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #5
F1 Camel

We used it tonight to shoot the Grand Opera performance on the lake. It handled the 70-200mm, 300mm 2.8 with ease. Just a hint, the clamp is allen head screwed to the ball and it was a little loose when doing verticals but a tightening up of the screw stopped the movement--this was only in vertical. Very pleased with the purchase after one night of shooting.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #6
F1 Camel

We will be taking a 24-85mm 2.8/4 Nikon lens, a 70-200mm 2,8, a 300mm f4, 12-24mm sigma and probably a 180 3.5 Sigma Macro. Wife and I will have to take turns on the tripod. By the way, you mentioned a Mefoto pod. I have a monopod by MeFoto which is sturdy and I use it to shoot football games.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #7
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6966254

Good luck with the new ball head and of course the trip itself too. Should be a splendid time and hope the weather behaves.

My MeFoto tripod can break down to a monopod, but I never tried it....

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #8
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 10

KB-44 = DB-44, yes?

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories »

Share this topic: