got to change from backpack to hard case
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photos of the Week Photos of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1 Week Ago   #1
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 752734
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default got to change from backpack to hard case

I currently have two backpacks, I don't use the backpacks as backpacks merely camera carry devices. I use both almost equally so it is not practical to carry just one. for a couple of hour outing I could repack but that becomes a hassle.

I am looking for an adjustable compartment carry hard case that I can merge both backpack stuff into one case. doesn't have to be waterproof but dustproof yes!

recommendations would be appreciated

the larger holds the following;
Nikon 500
Nikkor 200-500 zoom ( total 19" long)
SD card case
2 teleconverters ( may sell those)
spare battery, and charger and cables
110 volt inverter
misc connection cables
misc cleaning wipes, eye wear, glasses, contacts, solutions etc
small laptop

the smaller of the backpacks has this;
Nikon 7100
Nikkor 70-200 zoom ( total 12 inches)
Nikkor 18-105
Nikon Sb 800 strobe
Nikkor 70-210 macro
grey, white and black 5 x 7 white balance cards
extension tubes
light meter

Thanks

Last edited by Promapper; 1 Week Ago at 10:31 AM.. Reason: added dimensions
Promapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6964892
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: got to change from backpack to hard case

Hard cases? The ones I have seen before and used once, way way back in the day, were Pelican cases. Everything proof really. Built to withstand the apocalypse...

Haven't seen many hard cases around though. Maybe you need like a tough suitcase that has retractible handle and wheels too?

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3
Guanaco

thanks for the response. The pelican is what I have been looking at.

You sort of indicated you used it once. was there something about the harfd cases you do not like?

Thanks again
Old 1 Week Ago   #4
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6964892

Oh, no.... The pelicans are fantastic. I used to travel all the time and took a demo computer with me, back before laptops was the rage, and some proprietary cards that went in our rack mounted units in data centers. So the computer, the 2" thick monitor and a couple spare cards was kept in the chiseled out foam inerds of the big pelican case...

So I didn't have camera gear in it. Did work with a Pro shooter years ago (maybe that was 15 year, ugg, I'm old) that had 2 pelicans and he tossed them around like they would protect all the gear snuggled inside. It can, and did, but I think he was a secret advertising Pelican case dude as I carried them and stored them like they were equally as important as the gear inside so to speak.

Come to think of it, I think I still have the Pelican in my closet downstairs...

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #5
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1091466

Pelican all the way for me for those times I need a hard case. I am curious, why a hard case instead of a soft case? The pelicans can be a bit unwieldy and heavy in nature. There are some high quality shoulder bags on the market.

As a sports shooter I am taking my gear to a venue and selecting what I need from there. I'm generally not lugging it around for a couple of hours. My bag routinely has 2 large body DSLR's two flash units, 8 lenses, batteries, chargers and the other misc accessories. My 200 f2.0, 300 f2.8 and 400 f2.8 go in their own cases. This was my choice. Tamrac 5612 Pro 12 - Cambags.

I can honestly say that there are two most remarkable men in the world today. Michio Kaku is one and I am the other one. Between us we cover all knowledge.

Kaku knows all that can be known....And I know the rest.

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today?
Today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."

Master Oogway from Kung Fu Panda
gryphonslair99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #6
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 9929359

I have a pelican for my D500 with 300mm 2.8 lens, 3 teleconverters, a 17-70mm zoom, battery charger + power converter, and misc. items. I use the Treckpac dividers to get all that into a Pelican 1510. Fantastic protection but the only down side is the case weighs around 14 lbs. without any camera equipment. If that's too much Pelican does make a lighter weight case which is more expensive and doesn't protect as well.

Don’t cling to a mistake just because you took a lot of time making it. - unknown
Wcube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #7
Guanaco

Thanks all, I really appreciate the input.

I work part time on a farm and sometimes have unscheduled photo opportunities. it can range from wanting a wide angle zoom to the 500 for a bird shot. I haven't found a soft case that will hold everything I want to carry. the furthest from the truck may be a hundreds yards so I really don't need the backpack part of it. I work out of a mid size pickup truck with extended cab but not the crew cab things can get dusty and just plain dirty. over time I find myself putting things on top of the camera gear out of necessity for room. not good.

I don't have a problem pulling out a larger case, getting what I need out and walking 25-50 yards for the shot just carrying what I need for that shot.

If on the rare occasion that I wanted to walk down a creek looking solely for wildflowers then i would be tempted to use one of the backpacks.

I guess I am looking for the perfect solution. there may not be any i suppose.

The treckpack does look good and the size selection is great.

thanks again
Old 1 Week Ago   #8
Llama

CamelKarma: 36120

Pelican case.

You can park your truck on it. Its waterproof, airtight and dustproof. They come in all sizes. You can use the dividers inside or the pluck away foam.

Nikon D800, D5500 IR 590nm, D50
nu2scene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #9
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1091466

Quote:
Originally Posted by Promapper View Post
Thanks all, I really appreciate the input.

I work part time on a farm and sometimes have unscheduled photo opportunities. it can range from wanting a wide angle zoom to the 500 for a bird shot. I haven't found a soft case that will hold everything I want to carry. the furthest from the truck may be a hundreds yards so I really don't need the backpack part of it. I work out of a mid size pickup truck with extended cab but not the crew cab things can get dusty and just plain dirty. over time I find myself putting things on top of the camera gear out of necessity for room. not good.

I don't have a problem pulling out a larger case, getting what I need out and walking 25-50 yards for the shot just carrying what I need for that shot.

If on the rare occasion that I wanted to walk down a creek looking solely for wildflowers then i would be tempted to use one of the backpacks.

I guess I am looking for the perfect solution. there may not be any i suppose.

The treckpack does look good and the size selection is great.

thanks again
Having looked at your list I think you will find that the bag I linked to will handle everything you have if you want to look at a soft case. I have a multitude of bags, 3 different sized soft cases for various needs, a pelican case for rugged travel, a backpack for hiking etc as well as a large multi compartment tool box just for lighting/mounting accessories.

For me it takes multiple case options so I can have the perfect case for different situations.

I can honestly say that there are two most remarkable men in the world today. Michio Kaku is one and I am the other one. Between us we cover all knowledge.

Kaku knows all that can be known....And I know the rest.

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today?
Today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."

Master Oogway from Kung Fu Panda
gryphonslair99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #10
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 9058810

I have used Pelican as a carrier for my Nikonos, flash unit and brackets with exposure meter also there. It also had my close up brackets. That was a long time ago and I bought it since it was waterproof, was damned near indestructible and gave me lots of space to place every damned decal I found from diving resorts. I still have it but never use it since it is heavy and not as efficient as my LowePro backpack. My longest lens now is a 300mm 2.8 and I generally use my 24-85mm 2.8/4 my 70-200mm 2.8 or the much lighter 300mm f4 VR afs. Very seldom do I carry flash any longer so a backpack or a sling bag works for me. I have hard bags, sling bags, LowePro Street and Field system and use them--NEVER. Obviously your usage is much different and my wrists will no longer let me carry heavy equipment as much as I did.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories »

Share this topic: