Looking for a tripod head for vertical shots??? Please help!!! :) - Page 3
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photos of the Week Photos of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2016   #21
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 6948407
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Looking for a tripod head for vertical shots??? Please help!!! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by haring View Post
I guess I will buy the Manfrotto 405 head. It look pretty sturdy to support my camera. Any experience wit this head? Any alternatives?
The thing I don't like about Manfrotto heads is their proprietary plate. I much prefer the Arca-style mounts. I would suggest you look at a ball head. Plenty of quality options in that price range.

Battle of the titans: Top ball heads tested: Digital Photography Review
zemlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016   #22
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 12091131

I have an Acratech ulimate ballhead and a Sunwayfoto L bracket and they do the trick nicely. The ballhead is a few $ dollars but the L bracket it quite reasonable compared to the RRS one.

Facebook
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________
Who was the first guy that looked at a cow and said, "I think that I'll drink whatever comes out of those things when I squeeze them"?
mike54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017   #23
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First

I agree with nu2scene. Take a look at Really Right Stuff.
I bought the BH-55 ballhead with the lever release plate clamp almost 10 yrs ago and I've never experienced any problem with it. I've used it in all kind of environments including deserts, sea and extreme cold; it has always worked fine without jamming.
I also bought a L-plate and a lens plate for my collared 70-200.
With the L-plate, the camea can be attached to the ballhead in both horizontal and vertical position.
Futhermore, I don't have to remove the camera from the plate when switching batteries.
Your D3 and my Ds Mk III weigh almost the same so I think it would work out well for you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RRS Ballhead-2.jpg (131.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg RRS Ballhead-3.jpg (113.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg RRS Ballhead-5.jpg (138.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg RRS Ballhead-6.jpg (136.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg RRS Ballhead-7.jpg (167.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg RRS Ballhead-8.jpg (141.1 KB, 14 views)
Mark III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017   #24
Llama

CamelKarma: 35488
Editing OK?: Ask First

There you go. You'll buy it once, enjoy it every time you use it, and you'll never have to worry about replacing it in your lifetime. The ballhead is smooth, it doesn't slip or creep. It's the only way to to go.

Get their tripod, the 55 ball head and the L plate for your particular camera. It will hold almost any lens and camera combo and be steady. For me it's all about how frustrating something is to use. I always had rickety tripods, with the head that creeked into place. It somehow never seemed to creek into the place I wanted though. So I had to fiddle with it forever to get it where I wanted. I'd lock it into position, only for it to creep down or up. So now, you have to try to figure out how much to over compensate for the creep, so it would creep into where you wanted it in the first place. I don't have the tolerance to do this over and over mutiple times, each time I change my camera position. It's maddening! With this set up, I put the camera exactly where I want it, smooth and easy. Lock the camera in position, and it STAYS there! Done! How nice!

If I want a vertical, I can spin the camera around on the lens collar, or just use the other end of the L plate. Easy!

I would never again go back to any other set up. And now that I've bought it, it will outlast me.

Is it expensive? Yes. But what a joy to use! I enjoy using it, and I will never have to be frustrated and I'll never have to think about buying something else.

Nikon D800, D5500 IR 590nm, D50
nu2scene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017   #25
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1091466

After 8 months I am guessing that the OP has already made a decision and has long moved passed this.

I can honestly say that there are two most remarkable men in the world today. Michio Kaku is one and I am the other one. Between us we cover all knowledge.

Kaku knows all that can be known....And I know the rest.

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today?
Today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."

Master Oogway from Kung Fu Panda
gryphonslair99 is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories »

Share this topic: