ND filters
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photos of the Week Photos of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2016   #1
MNS
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 110
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default ND filters

I am looking for a decent ND filter 10 stops , 77mm , but not an expensive one ... do you have any suggestion ...my budget is 50$...Thanks

MNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016   #2
Llama

CamelKarma: 35488
Default Re: ND filters

Good and inexpensive are oxymorons. You can get good and you can get cheap, but you can't get them both. I doubt you'll find much for $50 especially at 77mm.

I've heard good things about the big stopper, it's 10 stops and people who have it seem to be happy with it. I personally don't have one, but have been thinking of getting it. The cheaper ND filters are not neutral and will give you pretty bad color shifts. Also if you go too cheap, it might degrade your image, just like the cheap protective filters people put in front of their lenses.

Nikon D800, D5500 IR 590nm, D50
nu2scene is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016   #3
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 56799358

Rob is right regards cheap filters and colour casts but if you are willing to increase your budget by 20 dollars you can get the Hoya 77mm ProND1000 Filter from amazon for $70 and this has no colour cast and retains very good image quality. I have the 82mm version at double the price but well worth it.

One photo out of focus is a mistake, ten photos out of focus are an experimentation, one hundred photos out of focus are a style.
-Mark-

Gear- - Canon 7d mk2 - Sigma 150-600 DG OS HSM C - Sigma 17-50 F2.8 EX DG OS HSM - Sigma 10-20 F3.5 EX DC HSM - SIGMA 70 F2.8 EX DG Macro - Canon EF50 F1.8 II - Manfrotto Tripod and Monopod - Sigma TC1401 - Sigma 580 EX II - Yongnuo YN14EX Macro Flash - Lee Filter system - Lowepro Trekker AW II.
Mark Lattimer-Hedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016   #4
MNS
Vicuna

Thanks Rob and Mark for your comments ...probably i will increase budget to 70$, however while I am searching I came through a brand known as HAIDA and I found this review : Neutral Density Filters: Are Haida Filters as good as B+W? | FLOWTOGRAPHY BERLIN TEXT
I hope there is someone aroud who is familiar with this brand to advise and comment
Old 06-29-2016   #5
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1091466
Editing OK?: Yes

Personally I am not fond of round ND filters. Either straight ND or graduated ND. My system is the Lee system. They are expensive, however they are far more versatile as they will fit on virtually any lens.

While expensive I have built my system over several years. The LEE 100mm Camera Filter System - Includes Filter Holders, Adaptor Rings and Lens Hoods

I can honestly say that there are two most remarkable men in the world today. Michio Kaku is one and I am the other one. Between us we cover all knowledge.

Kaku knows all that can be known....And I know the rest.

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today?
Today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."

Master Oogway from Kung Fu Panda
gryphonslair99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016   #6
MNS
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryphonslair99 View Post
Personally I am not fond of round ND filters. Either straight ND or graduated ND. My system is the Lee system. They are expensive, however they are far more versatile as they will fit on virtually any lens.

While expensive I have built my system over several years. The LEE 100mm Camera Filter System - Includes Filter Holders, Adaptor Rings and Lens Hoods
Thanks for your input but Lee is certainly beyond my budget
Old 07-01-2016   #7
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 5879204
Default Re: ND filters on a real budget!!!

If it's cheap your looking for then stop by Lowes or Home Depot and pick up a piece of replacement welder glass and it will give you 10 stops and cost less than 10 bucks. The color is a horrendous green color but if you shoot in raw its fairly easy to correct up to a point anyway. To use it you need a lens with a petal hood, reverse the hood then use rubber bands to hold it on.

I only tried it once and here is an example at F16 283 seconds iso 100. Should have used F8 and about 100 seconds, I had to push this in post over a stop and it increased the noise level substantially and killed my DR! Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20 stop ND failure.jpg (475.5 KB, 40 views)
palters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016   #8
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 322787
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: No
Default Re: ND filters on a real budget!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu2scene View Post
Good and inexpensive are oxymorons. You can get good and you can get cheap, but you can't get them both. I doubt you'll find much for $50 especially at 77mm.
Fully agreed. Colour casts, uneven light reduction, etc on cheap filters. Better to do nothing, or get a welding filter as below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNS View Post
Thanks Rob and Mark for your comments ...probably i will increase budget to 70$, however while I am searching I came through a brand known as HAIDA and I found this review : Neutral Density Filters: Are Haida Filters as good as B+W? | FLOWTOGRAPHY BERLIN TEXT
I hope there is someone aroud who is familiar with this brand to advise and comment
Do you want to be an early adopter and have a filter with essentially zero resale value?
Quote:
Originally Posted by palters View Post
If it's cheap your looking for then stop by Lowes or Home Depot and pick up a piece of replacement welder glass and it will give you 10 stops and cost less than 10 bucks. The color is a horrendous green color but if you shoot in raw its fairly easy to correct up to a point anyway. To use it you need a lens with a petal hood, reverse the hood then use rubber bands to hold it on.
Or on eBay (search for "welding filter nd"). I did quite a bit of this before getting the fotodiox 145mm 10-stop filter. Cheaper than Lowes etc.

A shade 8 filters is about 9 stops. A shade 9 is about 12; 10 about 14. There are variations, so testing is the way to go.

I found that a shade 9 cannot be corrected in LR - too much green tint. But it can be corrected in RawTherapee and maybe PS. If you shoot with a grey card, the filter can be accurately corrected, and looks pretty good, air inclusions and all. Shade 8, at least the one I have, can just barely be corrected in LR.

Holding it on the lens can be done with rubber bands, but for surety and light leaks, gluing a threaded ring to the filter (epoxy) is the way to go.

then drape a black cloth (aka black t-shirt) over the whole thing, and block the eyepiece with gaffer tape (or the proper blocking piece that should have come with the camera).

Here's a welding filter with a glued-on ring:

And here's a sample output:
serendipitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016   #9
MNS
Vicuna

How to do Long Exposure Photography for 1$ :
https://youtu.be/4k5yrCx8Q04
Old 07-03-2016   #10
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1091466

Cokin P Filters, Cokin P Holders, Cokin Z Pro holders and Cokin ZPro Filters

I can honestly say that there are two most remarkable men in the world today. Michio Kaku is one and I am the other one. Between us we cover all knowledge.

Kaku knows all that can be known....And I know the rest.

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today?
Today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."

Master Oogway from Kung Fu Panda
gryphonslair99 is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories »

Share this topic:

Tags
10 stops, 77mm, filter