PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2012   #1
Vicuna

Ted Byrne has a brilliant futureTed Byrne has a brilliant futureTed Byrne has a brilliant futureTed Byrne has a brilliant futureTed Byrne has a brilliant futureTed Byrne has a brilliant futureTed Byrne has a brilliant futureTed Byrne has a brilliant futureTed Byrne has a brilliant futureTed Byrne has a brilliant futureTed Byrne has a brilliant future
CamelKarma: 17504
Editing OK?: Ask first
Default Alternative to LensCoat ?

After a quick search through the forum, I didn't find anything already posted regarded this subject.

Does anyone have a recommendation for an alternative to LensCoat products? I've nothing against this company, but I think that $109.- + shipping for a few strips of neoprene is a little much.

Here's what I'm talking about.

Old 08-24-2012   #2
F1 Camel

Sailor Blue strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSailor Blue strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSailor Blue strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSailor Blue strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSailor Blue strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSailor Blue strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSailor Blue strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSailor Blue strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSailor Blue strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSailor Blue strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSailor Blue strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 190884
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Alternative to LensCoat ?

Isn't it worth $109 to protect a $6000 lens?

Of course you could always just use a plastic garbage bag over the camera and lens. Stick the lens through a hole cut in the bag and rubber band the bag to the lens.

Canon 7D, Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, Tamron SP AF28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM
Nissin Di866, Electra CLASSIC Plus studio strobes & modifiers
Sekonic L-358 Flash Meter, Yongnuo RF-602 Transmitters & Receivers
Dell 20" 2001F (1200x1800) IPS monitor, Samsung SyncMaster 23" F2380 (1920x1280) PVA monitor, Datacolor Spyder3Elite for monitor calibration
Sailor Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012   #3
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

cyclohexane strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorcyclohexane strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorcyclohexane strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorcyclohexane strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorcyclohexane strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorcyclohexane strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorcyclohexane strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorcyclohexane strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorcyclohexane strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorcyclohexane strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorcyclohexane strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 1097864
Editing OK?: No

You could look around for somewhere selling camo neoprene and then cut and sew (or just cut) to taste yourself. I think someone on this forum posted something about making your own Lenscoat imitation.

I've also used McNett camo form as a poor man's Lenscoat; it took about a roll to cover my 400mm f/2.8. McNett camo form is basically the foamy bandage you get on your arm when you donate blood or something, but with a selection of licensed brand name camouflages printed on it. It won't be padded like neoprene, but it offers reasonable protection against scratches and scrapes. If it gets wet, unwrap it, dry it out, and rewrap. It helps to use some small pieces of tape to stick down the ends so they don't come loose when you're shooting.

Here is what I'm talking about: Camo Form® Protective Camouflage Wrap

I used Crye Precision Multicam, mostly because I (and others) think it is kind of a pretty pattern. The patterns vary in price based on licensing fees and demand; on the big auction site, you can probably find the U.S. Army's "Universal" pattern (UCP) for cheap, given its not-so-good reputation; it still breaks up your outline (or the outline of your lens) pretty well against a number of environments.

Like Sailor Blue said, however, if you've got such an expensive lens, $109 for some protection isn't too bad. You did get a nice tripod and gimbal head (or monopod for those who work on the sideline) to go with the lens too, right?
Old 08-25-2012   #4
Vicuna

Ted Byrne has a brilliant futureTed Byrne has a brilliant futureTed Byrne has a brilliant futureTed Byrne has a brilliant futureTed Byrne has a brilliant futureTed Byrne has a brilliant futureTed Byrne has a brilliant futureTed Byrne has a brilliant futureTed Byrne has a brilliant futureTed Byrne has a brilliant futureTed Byrne has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Blue
Isn't it worth $109 to protect a $6000 lens?
Of course I've made that calculation. I simply don't like being overcharged for anything. With that reasoning you could easily charge $300-400 for the LensCoat and still make the same argument that it still not much compared to the lens.

I'm not too concerned about protection, it's more for camo and breaking up the shape of the lens.

Don't get me wrong, I still appreciate the response and input. Thanks.
Ted Byrne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012   #5
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclohexane
You could look around for somewhere selling camo neoprene and then cut and sew (or just cut) to taste yourself. I think someone on this forum posted something about making your own Lenscoat imitation.

I've also used McNett camo form as a poor man's Lenscoat; it took about a roll to cover my 400mm f/2.8. McNett camo form is basically the foamy bandage you get on your arm when you donate blood or something, but with a selection of licensed brand name camouflages printed on it. It won't be padded like neoprene, but it offers reasonable protection against scratches and scrapes. If it gets wet, unwrap it, dry it out, and rewrap. It helps to use some small pieces of tape to stick down the ends so they don't come loose when you're shooting.

Here is what I'm talking about: Camo Form® Protective Camouflage Wrap

I used Crye Precision Multicam, mostly because I (and others) think it is kind of a pretty pattern. The patterns vary in price based on licensing fees and demand; on the big auction site, you can probably find the U.S. Army's "Universal" pattern (UCP) for cheap, given its not-so-good reputation; it still breaks up your outline (or the outline of your lens) pretty well against a number of environments.

Like Sailor Blue said, however, if you've got such an expensive lens, $109 for some protection isn't too bad. You did get a nice tripod and gimbal head (or monopod for those who work on the sideline) to go with the lens too, right?
Thank you for the very detailed response. Very much appreciated. I'll have a look at your suggestions when I'm in front of my computer later.

Yes for the gimbal/tripod ... It's a decent support system.
Old 08-25-2012   #6
F1 Camel

uk2usa strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoruk2usa strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoruk2usa strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoruk2usa strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoruk2usa strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoruk2usa strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoruk2usa strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoruk2usa strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoruk2usa strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoruk2usa strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoruk2usa strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 349734

I made my own with some camo neoprene. I opted for the thickest neoprene I could... have enough to make covers for a 300mm f4, plus a 300 f2.8 and a 600mm f4 - for less than the price of the 300 2.8 lens coat.
uk2usa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012   #7
Guanaco

sbay is a splendid one to beholdsbay is a splendid one to beholdsbay is a splendid one to beholdsbay is a splendid one to beholdsbay is a splendid one to beholdsbay is a splendid one to beholdsbay is a splendid one to beholdsbay is a splendid one to beholdsbay is a splendid one to beholdsbay is a splendid one to beholdsbay is a splendid one to behold
CamelKarma: 4549

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Byrne View Post
I'm not too concerned about protection, it's more for camo and breaking up the shape of the lens.
You could use the non-sticky tape often put on handles for raquet based sports. E.g. something like:

I used to put something similar on my aluminum tripods. Never tried on a lens.

Edit: I see cyclohexane already recommended this earlier in the thread.
sbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012   #8
F1 Camel

Sailor Blue strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSailor Blue strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSailor Blue strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSailor Blue strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSailor Blue strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSailor Blue strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSailor Blue strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSailor Blue strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSailor Blue strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSailor Blue strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSailor Blue strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 190884

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Byrne View Post
Okay, here you go. Just drape the front of the poncho over the camera and lens and for only $10.50 you can conceal both you, your camera, and your lens.

US Military Camo Poncho Rain Wet Gear Afghanistan Experienced (Nylon Rip Stop) | eBay

Canon 7D, Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, Tamron SP AF28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM
Nissin Di866, Electra CLASSIC Plus studio strobes & modifiers
Sekonic L-358 Flash Meter, Yongnuo RF-602 Transmitters & Receivers
Dell 20" 2001F (1200x1800) IPS monitor, Samsung SyncMaster 23" F2380 (1920x1280) PVA monitor, Datacolor Spyder3Elite for monitor calibration
Sailor Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012   #9
Vicuna

Thanks for the link.
For damp days that would be nice to have anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Blue

Okay, here you go. Just drape the front of the poncho over the camera and lens and for only $10.50 you can conceal both you, your camera, and your lens.

US Military Camo Poncho Rain Wet Gear Afghanistan Experienced (Nylon Rip Stop) | eBay
Old 08-26-2012   #10
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbay

You could use the non-sticky tape often put on handles for raquet based sports. E.g. something like:

I used to put something similar on my aluminum tripods. Never tried on a lens.

Edit: I see cyclohexane already recommended this earlier in the thread.

Thank you for the responses and input (everyone).

McNett doesn't seem to have any European distributors, but I did find a ton of the stuff on EBay so I think I'll try it. It seems that it is removable and reusable, and one can wrap the tripod with it as well. Nice.

Furthermore, it would be handy to have a different motif for winter.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories »

Share this topic: